Notices

Where does the wastegate hook up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2002, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where does the wastegate hook up?

Does it just hook up anywhere in the path from the turbo compressor outlet to the intake manifold? Right now I have mine hooked up pretty close to the turbo, with a screwed in nipple inlet. Is this OK? Or does the wastegate hook up to a direct vacuum source on the intake manifold?
Old 05-16-2002, 10:38 AM

Default Re: Where does the wastegate hook up? (OKSolSi)

what wastegate do you have? I think they are basically the same hookup. I've got the deltagate, it's got two ports. The top is vaccum and the side is boost. The vaccum runs to my EBC and the boost runs to a nipple I tapped into the intercooler pipe right before the throttle body.
Old 05-16-2002, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Where does the wastegate hook up? (Coldsi)

Are there any advantages/disadvantages to hooking up the bottom wastegate port to the turbo compressor housing port or the intake tube near the throttle body?
Old 05-16-2002, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Where does the wastegate hook up? (blowncivichb)

I only have one outlet on my wastegate, which I suppose goes to the charge piping. The only other thing coming out of it is the lever arm that goes to the exhaust of the turbo. Is this bad?

[Modified by OKSolSi, 10:05 PM 5/16/2002]
Old 05-17-2002, 12:25 PM

Still need some help with this..I also need to know where the blowoff valve outlet hooks up..
Old 05-19-2002, 02:29 PM

bump
Old 05-19-2002, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Where does the wastegate hook up? (blowncivichb)

Are there any advantages/disadvantages to hooking up the bottom wastegate port to the turbo compressor housing port or the intake tube near the throttle body?
if you don't have a boost controller, you can make more boost if you use a vacuum source from the intake manifold because of pressure drop as the charge air makes its way from the compressor to the throttle body. 7psi read at the compressor may only be 5psi at the manifold after making its way through the ic & associated piping.

oksol, you can use any vacuum source from your intake manifold to connect your bov. you can't use your charge pipes as they don't generate vacuum. and you only have one port on your wastegate because your turbo has an internal wastegate. hook up the port to your turbo compressor (if it has a built-in nipple), or somewhere on your charge piping or intake manifold.
Old 05-19-2002, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Where does the wastegate hook up? (qwkteg125)

OK I am extremely confused. Since vacuum from tne intake manifold is present when you are on the gas and the intake plate is open, that would mean the blowoff valve only opens when vacuum on it stops? How does that work? My turbo doesn't have a nipple on it either for the wastegate to hook up to either. How does a suction on the wastegate force the actuator arm outwards? Wouldn't suction on it do the exact opposite? I don't understand.
Old 05-19-2002, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

your wastegate only reads boost. when you reach whatever psi your wastegate is, it will open up & not allow you to boost any higher. it doesn't need vacuum to operate.

your bov, on the other hand, only opens up when you generate boost & then transition to vacuum. there's no charge air to blowoff when you are cruising in vacuum, only when you are boosting & then close your throttle plate.
Old 05-19-2002, 04:09 PM

Default Re: Where does the wastegate hook up? (qwkteg125)

If the wastegate does not need vacuum to open, then why does it have a vacuum outlet to go to the charge pipe? Isn't the resistance of the wastegate arm the only thing that keeps the exhaust bleed from opening? Say you have a spring that takes 7psi of pressure to be pressed down, and you run 10psi of exhaust gas.. then 3psi of that will be bled out because the arm has a 7psi point it extends at. Why do you need a vacuum tube for something mechanical like that?
Old 05-19-2002, 04:17 PM

Also my turbo is supposed to have an internal wastegate.. if its internal then why do I have the stock wastegate on the outside of my turbo with the arm that opens the exhaust bleed?