Notices

When was your first turbo experience?....

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When was your first turbo experience?....

Currently I'm an all-motor guy and lovin it also. But recently I've been finding myself constantly starting at pics of the Disco Potato GT28RS, I've also read articles about it on Sport Compact Car magazine and frequently finding myself going back to reread it again. Odd eh? Anyhow now I'd like to know if there are any all-motor guys who somehow tried turbo one day and never looked back? How was the first experience? Was it pants shredding good or was it head snapping great? Any first time stories would greatly be apreciated?
Old 02-01-2004, 03:17 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: When was your first turbo experience?.... (Spartanic)

I think the whole thing about allmotor vs turbo
is that a turbo setup is gonna be faster for less $
thats a fact, you cant get away from that

BUT there is something very satisfying about building your own allmotor engine
having it be pretty quick, and all thanks to your craftsmanship.

I duno, putting together a turbo kit really isnt quite as rewarding as building
a precisely engineered high performance engine.

NOT THAT I'VE DONE THAT! hehe,
but I would really like to one day.

I for one am going turbo next, cheap custom home kit, should be lots of fun.

oh and to answer your question:
My first real turbo exprience was with a 3rd generation twin turbo rx7 that I owned for a brief time. And it was amazing, probably one of the funest cars I have ever driven(and i'm a parknig valet, I get to drive porsches, bmw's, all sorts of luxo cars, and even the occasional ferrari)

now the fun mainly came from the rx7 driving experience,
the car fits like a glove, or a jets cockpit, and responds before you even think of what you want it to do, then the twin turbos thrust you back into the seat, which completes the package.
not really any lag on that setup too which is realy cool

Modified by Tad at 11:07 PM 2/1/2004
Old 02-01-2004, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 02-01-2004, 10:10 PM

my first turbo experience wasn't good. After all the work getting parts,working out the bugs, and rebuilding the turbo it felt like i gained about 5hp ....
After a little messing around i had my girlfriend take my car to the muffler shop to have a new cat welded on,while i was at work... and then it was good.
you would be amazed what a clogged cat will do to performance. the turbo spooled at about 4,500 rpm before, after the new cat it spooled about 2,500rpm. That was on my stock d15 about 5 years ago. I went from having about 85whp to 140whp...it was a big gain (compared to the 5hp from the usual I/H/E....blah blah blah)...well i had fun with that engine for about 20k miles before i swapped it out for my current engine (b16)....it's been a long road since then, always upgrading something (turbo, wastegate, fuel management,etc) in the quest for more power. I never intended to take it this far. I just planned to see what would happen if i "tried" to make my own turbo kit. I honestly never thought it would work because at that time there was nobody (had not found honda-tech yet) to help me out just my mechanic and I.
Now i'm addicted to the track and the quest for more power by seeing just how far i can push my car. I'm going to run it like it is this season and over the winter start building the engine so i can eventually hit my goal of about 350whp.
Once you go with boost, you'll never go back to N/A....it's addicting
Old 02-01-2004, 10:16 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: When was your first turbo experience?.... (b16ahybrid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16ahybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my first turbo experience wasn't good. After all the work getting parts,working out the bugs, and rebuilding the turbo it felt like i gained about 5hp ....
After a little messing around i had my girlfriend take my car to the muffler shop to have a new cat welded on,while i was at work... and then it was good.
you would be amazed what a clogged cat will do to performance. the turbo spooled at about 4,500 rpm before, after the new cat it spooled about 2,500rpm. That was on my stock d15 about 5 years ago. I went from having about 85whp to 140whp...it was a big gain (compared to the 5hp from the usual I/H/E....blah blah blah)...well i had fun with that engine for about 20k miles before i swapped it out for my current engine (b16)....it's been a long road since then, always upgrading something (turbo, wastegate, fuel management,etc) in the quest for more power. I never intended to take it this far. I just planned to see what would happen if i "tried" to make my own turbo kit. I honestly never thought it would work because at that time there was nobody (had not found honda-tech yet) to help me out just my mechanic and I.
Now i'm addicted to the track and the quest for more power by seeing just how far i can push my car. I'm going to run it like it is this season and over the winter start building the engine so i can eventually hit my goal of about 350whp.
Once you go with boost, you'll never go back to N/A....it's addicting</TD></TR></TABLE>

interesting! you do get props m'man,
5years ago was definetely before the whole homemadeturbo craze began!
not that ppl werent doing it, just it was alot harder to find info.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:29 PM

Default Re: When was your first turbo experience?.... (Tad)

Thanks it was hard.....
I think it was one of the first turbo honda's around where I lived. I remember about 6 months after i got mine runing there was a kid that bought a greddy kit for his civic, that was the talk of the town because hardly anybody knew that i was boosted (no visible signs and i wasn't telling people) only my friends knew....ahh memories .....it's been 7 years since I started trying to make my econo box faster....everybody thought I was crazy and that my car would never be as fast as their camaro or mustang (honda's were still grocery getters only at that time)
Old 02-02-2004, 12:38 AM

Default Re: When was your first turbo experience?.... (b16ahybrid)

Rode in a few turbo cars... it all kind of happened fast.

One of my close friends just spent gobs of cash at golden eagle getting a 2.1L b16a NA engine built. When he got it back, threw it in, it felt incredible - very responsive, very quick. I was amazed. It felt like a 12 second car. He went to the track and his best time with a 1.8 60' on slicks was a 13.1, i was a little surprised.

A few weeks later, another close friend of mine on this board (hulkhb - http://www.crpturbo.com) just finished putting his junkyard turbo setup together on his b18c5 that resides in his 6th gen hatch. Now after riding in the 2.1L NA, my expectations were pretty high. They were met and exceeded, especially considering the turbo EK had about 1/3 the price invested into the build. They felt equally fast, and possibilities now seem endless.

My decision to go boost came after spending some passenger seat time in that car. But it doesn't end there. I've invested a moderate 2750 into this turbo setup, and she's ready to go into the car, when I have time. But recently, I feel as though this may not be the best setup for me. I've been spending most of my time reading on the Endyn board, looking through the archives. What Larry can do with an engine is simply amazing, and his theories about engine building starting with the early 1960's have always been proven to be true and productive in engine physics and technology.

My view on the whole deal: If you have a large craving for the massive power that a turbo engine can produce, I say go for it. There will be plenty of time to experiement with other engines and other builds in the future. My hopes is that Honda produces a 1.6L K-series. If they do, that'll be my next engine, but as for now, the engine is a little too hefty (mostly in the crank) for my tastes.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:44 AM

I have played the turbo game more then the natural game. When HP was important to me, i was always fitting bigger turbos and bigger fuel on stuff, it was kinda fun. Now, i dont really see HP as something that makes me enjoy driving. Its nice to occasionally feel your body forced back so hard in the seat its tough to reach your arm up to shift, but lately, i find myself never even hitting WOT in mild tunes. I went back to NA tuning, and i really enjoy it. I dont try to make a zillion hp anymore, being fast in a straight line doesnt do much for me either. I just like to go have some fun on curvey roads and parkinglot AutoX now, its not fast, its just fun. NA driving is what i have the most fun with.

Somedays i miss that hard turbo pull, but over all, i know i am an NA guy at heart.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:00 PM

Default Re: (liveforphysics)

Oh come on Luke, you couldn't honestly believe your 90whp 4AG is more fun than your 408whp (wink wink) VR4. That's just about as crazy as the reverbsion theory.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:21 PM
TurboJesse

Default Re: (Unsung EM1)

way back in the day i turbo'ed my sol (automatic @ the time) with an off the shelf greddy kit (blue box, no gauges, etc ) car went from a high 17 second car to very low 15's ( i could easily hang with most gsr's)...I loved it at the time...Fast forward 4 or so years and the car is now turboed with a b16a swap and custom kit, i fawking love it, car just pulls and pulls on the highway and feels like its almost floating
Old 02-02-2004, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Unsung EM1)

11Sec Peter Farrel RX7 did the trick for me...I was pushed back into my seat and my jaw was literally on the floor. Couldnt stop smiling the rest of the day.

******* sick. I was forever into making my car fast after that. I experienced some NA cars, and just wasnt too impressed. After playing with the JRSC for a while and learning more about FI and cars in general, I figured out that a turbo setup was what I had always wanted. And Ill never look back!
Old 02-02-2004, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (newgsrdriver)

back in 97 when I turbocharge my 91 teg. t3 from svo, modified hks manifold to fit the t3 flange n keep the a/c. fmu n inline fuel pump only. boostin 5 psi for a while until I got a hold of mbc and installed it inside the car where I can reach it (a big no no) finger happy on the mbc. no tuning what so ever..turbo teg only lasted for a year. o well that was so fun back then, I'm still boostin right now but not on a daily drive car. I'll be boostin until I'm 70
Old 02-02-2004, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mrdjay107)

i was all motor all the time. never dreamed of putting a turbo on my honda. i went through a crx and then onto a prelude. well the prelude just wasnt cutting it anymore. i needed something cheap and fast, i also found other interesting in a certian modle civic. well i found the civic i was looking for, meanwhile i had been collecting turbo parts. after i sold the prelude it was dead ahead for the civic. i bought most things i needed. but had to pay some traffic fines and some other bullshit and ran outta money. well after collecting turbo stuff for a year, i finally got the civic turboed. all the time and money was worth blowing the engine the first day i had it together. the smile on my face, and my friends faces was priceless. so now i have another engine and just blew the headgasket, got some arp head studs and going to get a cometic headgasket, hopfully this time **** wont blow. after the boost addiction as i call it, i frantacally went search for another job. im in college and fairly poor, so turbo is a bit hard to afford, but i need it. just like a drug addiction, possibly worse
Old 02-02-2004, 04:04 PM

I was all motor LS/Vtec for the longest time until I got bored. I went ahead and got boosted after so many $1k spent and man does it feel great. Blown the Ls/Vtec and went with b16a. After a while it gets bored again but I will never go back to all motor.