Notices

When should you stop trusting your mechanic / builder?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When should you stop trusting your mechanic / builder?

Okay, heres my story.
I searched honda-tech for a builder to get my car ready for forced induction over 6 months ago. I found a mechanic that said he could do the job for me in two months at the longest. Well, 5 months later my car was 'done' and i drove it off for 300 miles and it broke down. I take it back to the mechanic and think everything is resolved and that i would have my car fixed and back with me in a timely fashion, but of course that didnt happen. The reason my car broke down was because of a spun bearing on the fourth rod, so my mechanic has to get new rods and replace the old ones. Well that was over a month ago that i gave the mechanic my car and there hasnt been one single thing done to my car since. Three weeks ago he told me that the machine shop was scheduled to pick up my head and clean it, that never happened. The block is just sitting their in his garage, on a stand completely open for any kind of dirt/dust to get in. Ive gone to check up on my car weekly and the two times before last he almost ignored me. He would literally say 3 or 4 words to me, and continue working on the other customers cars. He would act like he was completely 'put-out' because i was their checking up on my car that has been out of commission for more then a half a year. Last week he told me that my bearings were scheduled to be delivered in a week tops, now its the beginning of the week and hes acting as if the bearings werent delievered at all and he has to tell Tom to over night them tomorrow. I feel like ive been almost protecting my mechanic this whole time by not revealing his company and the person actually doing my work. So im going to wait and see what he does this whole week, and if my car is not close to being complete im going to have to tell everyone who he is and where he works and what company he works for so no one will ever have this happen to them. I paid the guy upfront all the money to get this build done, and to have this happen to my car is the last thing that i deserved.
Originally Posted by Mr.Hankey
This is what happened a month ago:
So i get my car out of the shop after being fully built (sleeved, pistsons, rods, crank, valves/spring/retatiners ect). The builder tells me to drive around under 4krpms for around 1k-2k miles to break it in and to bring it back after 250 miles for an oil change. So i baby it for 250 miles and go back for the oil change, but at around 75-100 miles i start hearing this sound (almost like a slaping metal to metal sound) i tell the builder that it happens around 2800rpms and he tells me its normal and i shouldnt worry about it (he said it was pistons slap). Well i still did worry about it, so i get the oil change, no metal was in the oil or anything. So i drive the car 59 more miles, and it dies! The check engine light came on, and the oil lamp came on so i drive back home. I call my builder the next day and told him what happened, he tells me not to drive the car, so i paid 80 bucks to get it towed back to his shop. He checks it out, and told me it was a vtec silenoid problem and he cleans are replaces it and gives me back to car. I then told him about the slapping sound again and he tells me its normal again and sends me on my way. I drove the car about 15miles and it dies again, but this time im on the freeway about 1.5-2miles from his shop but it dies 8 times before i get it to his shop--on the freeway! He then took the engine out and the car apart and found a spun bearing in the 4th pistons

This thread is not to establish if hes right or wrong about fixing the car, this is to establish if i should trust the guy anymore. And if i should seriously thing about suing for damages to my car, not meeting the terms of the contract ect.

Modified by Mr.Hankey at 6:47 AM 1/16/2007
Old 01-15-2007, 09:32 PM

Default Re: When should you stop trusting your mechanic / builder? (Mr.Hankey)

well, who assembled the block? homeboy, or the machine shop? did you get a full blueprint sheet with all clearances, etc?

i know you have given a lot, but we need more information.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:37 PM

homeboy assembled it, he didnt have anything writen down to determin any clearances or tolerances when i spoke with him a month ago. He just told me that 'they are within honda tolerances' and left it at that.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1841625

Why did you make another thread? You failed to give any info that we asked you for in the first thread so why would this change our stance on the issue?

Not to sound like a dick, but breathing down the guys neck probably just has irritated him to the point that he could care less about your motor. I know that's not good business ethic... but it happens. Making another thread isn't going to get you your engine back any sooner unfortunately.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:43 PM

This thread isnt like the other one, it has a complete other meaning to it. The other thread was made because he wanted me to. This one is for me to ask if i should trust the guy anymore. I just quoted the other thread so everyone would know what happened. Ill take that info out of the thread if you guys think its too simalar to the last. Im not trying to 'double post' or make a lot of threads about the same event, im sorry you read into it that way. I just wanted everyone to understand exactly what happened. Anyways, should i still trust the guy? My fiance was with me today when i checked on my car, and she could see that he was trying to avoid me the second he saw me approach him. He turned his head as if he wasnt even going to talk to me when i came up (may not seem like anything to you guys, but for someone that has $5,200 from me he could at least act as if im a valued customer).
Old 01-15-2007, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mr.Hankey)

Well... what is his history with building motors? What was the condition of your engine when you asked him to build it the first time around? He does sound a bit sketchy... but then again we have yet to hear his side of the story.

He is obviously loosing money on this transaction so your block is not his first priority. A few years ago we had a local machine shop doing our sleeve installs and they managed to drop a set on a customers block. We ended up looking like the bad guys and the machine shop took their sweet *** time redoing the new block. The new block ended up dropping a sleeve and we took the heat. Keep in mind they took about 3 months to redo the last set-up. When people dilly-dally around it usually is a sign that they do not know what they are doing.

**** happens in the performance world... that's why now we only have our stuff done through ERL, Portflow, and other companies with flawless reputations. Reputations and past history means a lot... so that's why I am curious to hear about his history with other set-ups he has done.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:58 PM

The history of my motor? It had some miles on it 140k when i brought it in, but it was kept up and has very minor upgrades (front strut bar and a k&n intake filter). The car ran fine until i brought it to him, it was maintaned with frequent oil changes and was in the best condition a motor with that many miles could be in. It didnt leak oil, it didnt smoke, it didnt make any metal to metal noises, and it sure as hell didnt die, but after i got it out of the shop it did all of the above. Also, this is not a threat to him, he doesnt even know that im posting this thread. It is just asking if i should trust the guy anymore after everything or cut my loses and talk to a lawyer.

Edit 2: Oh im sorry, i mustve read that wrong, you asked what his history with motors was not the history of my motor. He builds motors for race cars, he told me that he knows Bisi and that he talked to him about building my car. I shouldve realized something was up a couple of weeks ago when he said ' all of my cars sound like ****, they make a "CLANK CLANK CLANK" sound that you can hear without them even moving. They are meant to make a few passes on the track and blow up' But when i first gave him my car, he told me that be built street driven cars that lasted a couple years.

Edit: Oh, and i understand that **** happens in the performance world, but that doesnt mean that a builder/mechanic/whatever the hell you want to call him can just take your car and destroy it with no legal recorse. Thats bullshit, and im tired of people saying that '**** happens', no, **** doesnt just happens. **** gets taken care of, or someones paying for ****. And im not the dumbass thats going to sit around after i spent over $5k and let '**** happen'

Modified by Mr.Hankey at 7:25 AM 1/16/2007
Old 01-15-2007, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thing i dont get is this, after 280miles you changed the oil... everything looked great and no flakes or content in oil. 60 miles later it has a spun rod bearing to wear new rods are needed (pretty bad failure). See if those bearings wernt right, 5 miles would do the engine in. When things are ok for almost 300 miles, then go wrong within 10-40miles... other things can (could) be the issue. Ragging on the engine on a base map, knock can beat bearings out. Runnin the engine low on oil, oil pump failure (can happen from over revving, harmonics from aftermarket pulleys, knock, etc) . a lot of things can cause that bearing to go, but if it lasted 280 miles and all checked out ok... what happened the last 60 miles that were dif. than the first 280?

The piston slap is common in most built motors. when the pistons are cold, they will expand as the engine heats up and quiet down. aftermarket pistons have a dif. expansion rate than your stock pistons so they need to be fitted looser. Youll best notice this in the winter when youre starting and driving around in 40 degree to zero degree weather.

What happend that last 60 miles? was the car boosted at the time? running on a base map? whats the compression? what kinda gas is in the car? was the dizzy messed with at all?

sorry about your loss though.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:19 AM

I do feel obligated to tell you guys who he is if my car doesnt get fixed. I dont want to tell everyone who he is and have him do something faulty to my car. And as far as the engine goes, it never really felt right from the beginning. The metal to metal sound was almost always their, and it just continued to get worse and worse over time. And as far as the stock ecu, everyone told me that was okay to do since i didnt have the turbo on the car yet (and i honestly dont think that was the problem) And the over revving thing, man im not some stupid kid that got in my car after having it freshly built and thinks its okay to over rev the damn thing. I dont know how many times i have to explain that-- that just didnt happen and he and i know that. It was an internal problem why this happened, not me being some jackhole with my car. I think he shouldve put 300 miles on my car to begin with so that if something did happen (which it did) he couldve diagnosed the problem and fixed it without worrying about if i did anything wrong (which i didnt). My beef now is that im starting to get the feeling that he doesnt give a crap about my car and doesnt care if it runs or not and thats the reason im starting not to trust him. Plus, im stuck with using my fiances vehcile every day because he doesnt even want to work on my car and get it back to me.

Edit: Mr.Wonderful, do you work for camp 1320? My mechanic's buying some bearings from Tom that ownes that company. He said that he ordered them last week but appearently they havent came yet. Hes said hes going to call him today to have them overnighted to his shop.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thats why I do all work for myself. I trust no mechanic no matter how great of history they have, I trust no one with my motor than myself, I had too many bad experiences with so called professionals. build my own ****, head to block. and machine shop for deck machining .
I hope it works out for you though
Old 01-16-2007, 10:01 AM

Well, i just gave tom from camp1320 a call, and he did order the bearings from there last week. I guess tom told him that the bearings were in stock, but they werent so hes going to have them over nighted to my mechanic. So, now that i have established the time in which the bearings will be at the shop, there should be some kind of work done to my block this week.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Mr Wonderfull)

This is all really simple......

Question: When should you stop trusting your mechanic / builder?

Answer: The moment you feel the need to ask the question.

Those who ask for advice already know the answer to the question, they just wish they hadn't.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

From reading all the info that was provided, I'd say just keep up with it and get it done then, as previously suggested, post the shop name/name of the mechanic because personally I would never touch that place again. This just sounds like pure lack of a proper business ethic. I mean if **** got messed up because of the work that was done by this mechanic, it should have taken top priority to get done. Period. More than likely though if this is how all the customers get treated there they won't be in business long.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bart2546)

I was in the same situation with my build and I eneded up waiting 16 months to get it back and the work looks like ****.I would say try to get the car done as good as possible since it seems that you are in a bad spot right now.The more you bother then the more I believe they will take their time.I dont personally know them but people say their time is worth alot so why take your time when you can get it done faster.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:56 PM

Man, thank you guys for all the support, i appreciate it alot. So heres the latest news, i talked to the mechanic today. He asked if we were still 'cool' and if i wanted him to build the engine. I told the dude that i feel like he doesnt want me around and that after i gave him my money he doesnt even treat me like a customer anymore and that he looks like hes almost mad that i came to check up on my $5k+ investment. I also told him that my build is going on 7 months (after he quoted it would take no more then 2 months) and that i cant do anything without my car. I cant look for a job, i cant goto the store, im disabled and have to bum rides everywhere. He then assured me that the parts for my car would arrive by thursday (he spoke with tom @ camp1320 also) and that he would then start assembly on it then, and that he was going to put a oil gauge/300 miles on the car before he returned it to me. So now im here expecting to get my car back in a week or so (expecting, but i know beter, i probably wont get it back for another month).

And as for the person that said if i have to ask when to stop trusting the mechanic, thats the time to stop trusting him. You are right man, i already had the answer but i just wanted someone to talk me out of it. But i shouldnt have ever paid the man upfront because now i dont have **** but a broken car and a broken bank account. But ill tell you one thing, i have learned from my mistakes and will never pay before the services are rendered EVER AGAIN.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wish you luck man I know the feeling when it comes to getting jerked around by a builder.It seems like after they take your hard earned money they give up on treating you like a customer and then make it seem like you are being a pain in their *** about it.I know there are still good shops/builders out there this is pointed at all the shady guys.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:24 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im in sac too, so let us know who this guy is so i can stay away from him
Old 01-16-2007, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

expletive that guy, he relying on your good nature. After a certain peroid of time you should be in there weekly wanting firm deadlines.l
Old 01-16-2007, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr.Hankey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And as for the person that said if i have to ask when to stop trusting the mechanic, thats the time to stop trusting him. You are right man, i already had the answer but i just wanted someone to talk me out of it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

If you feel like it isn't right, it usually isn't.. Also you have to test people before you trust them with anything big. If they pass a couple tests, then you know.
It seems like about half the people I deal with I have to threaten or push around to get them to do the right thing. Especially on stupid ebay. And that's just with people selling me little things, like under $1k, etc. I've never hired anyone to do any work for me that would have been expensive or that they could screw up, except maybe boring my block to 81.5, but I already had some experience with the guy at the machine shop. I've taken multiple parts to him and he knows what he's doing. (mclean's, in woodland) I just say, isn't the point of modifying automobiles a way to express yourself? how can you pay someone to express yourself for you? Learn as much as you can, building a motor is easy and you'll have way more pride when it's done. Not to mention you'll know if it's done right, because you did it. You're in sacramento? I don't trust Anyone in sac. That whole place is shady as hell..from private people to the shops. Redline, motorsport dynamics, fodge engineering, etc, etc, f them all.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

2 more little comments..spun bearing and he's not going to do anything with the crank? just slap some new acl's in there and call it a day? Probably without even plastigauging it?
2nd comment.. with 81.5mm endyn (wiseco) pistons, I do not have any piston slap when I start the car cold, (10 degrees outside or less in SD) so you sure as f shouldn't have any 'piston slap' in CA.. or in any circumstance, in my opinion.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rorik)

if u pay ur money u should be all over his face , no questions ask he should do it period in a timely maner dont come with that bs that u have to give him time and **** , he has to do it weather he loose or make money out of it
Old 01-16-2007, 07:55 PM

Default Re: (super-hatch)

first off if you gonna talk hella **** about a builder like all the internet racers here then why don't you go to a tech school and learn how to build motors or fix car... be a man quit bitching and crying around and handle it yourself if you can't do it and had to have someone build it for you then do that but don't be going around and talking **** around peoples back. face the real world u quote that you won't pay until you have it fix in the future then thats what you call no deal you cheapscate. you should be welcome to be in the real racing world. motors spun bearing or blown motor so what learn from mistakes and correct it not fuking go and talk shiet like you know it all. i own a shop and i'm busy if i had customers hanging around my back calling and disturbing me, what the hell i have others car to work on not just one you talk as if you have experience working on cars. i know you seen shows on tv where they build cars and if they don't get there parts in at all or in on time then they expletive so you should be happy that your parts is coming in. and expletive you for even talking **** about tom at camp1320 about lying about not having the parts in stock when he said he does because everybody makes mistake when they think they have that inventory in stock and they don't because there is just to many inventory to keep track of. so to all the pro guys instead of the internet racer here they know wassup they don't be talking shiet because they know the reall world not a bunch of whining asses aight so *** off man grow up shiet. enough of your bull shiet. better yet go *** yourself and all you internet racer...
Old 01-16-2007, 08:07 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr Wonderfull &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i have a rope you should hang yourself with it...*** noob scum.

now.

expletive tech school try getting your GED and learn how to tlk/spell/get a life.

you suck at life.....

seriously </TD></TR></TABLE>

you talk about spelling right then spell mr wonderful right fool.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:11 PM

600 WHP H22 boosting 1.8 bar sooon...... On a street near you!!!

so i see you sold the first setup without showing time so i see your an internet racer so *** your h22 i know my setup kill your on a street closer to you and it ain't on boost it's pure n/a mssss. wonderfull
Old 01-17-2007, 11:54 PM

+1 for mr wonderfull

Quick Reply: When should you stop trusting your mechanic / builder?