Notices

What to tune with??

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to tune with??

Aright heres what i have

97 civic ex with d16 vtec (OBD II) and a turbo kit 8 psi. the motor is bone stock i have a FMU with the kit. My question is what tuning equipment do you guys recommend to get so i can take the car to get tuned.

Should i switch over to OBDI? if so what computer should i use? and what should i use to tune the car with?

Thank's

Old 03-22-2008, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What to tune with?? (EkFG)

OBD1 P28 ECU with hondata S300
Old 03-22-2008, 09:03 PM

what would some of you guys use for this kind of setup. Im looking for options.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: What to tune with?? (Turbo-charged)

i would at least go obd1, then from there perhaps hondata, neptune or maybe ectune??
Old 03-22-2008, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What to tune with?? (blackeg)

obd1, p28 and crome = budget tune.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:18 PM

Default Re: What to tune with?? (hondamn1320)

^^^^
i agree

Dont waste your money on hondata S300 unless u plan on going bigger in the future. For that setup crome will do just fine, that is assuming u are taking it to a tuner. If you are self tuning...buy the s300, by the time u purchase everything to tune with crome, u could just as easily bought s300..

Old 03-22-2008, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What to tune with?? (EkFG)

Well your first question to ask yourself is are you going to be able tune it yourself or do you need a tuner.

If its the later find what your tuner uses and go with that. Too many times kids are told they can get a this cheap engine management and two weeks later the engine spits it guts out on the highway. All because they don't know what their doing.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo-charged &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OBD1 P28 ECU with hondata S300 </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 03-23-2008, 12:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What to tune with?? (mike93eh2)

why not just keep the FMU? what is your hp goal? and before anybody tries to talk trash about fmu setups i had MANY happy customers on FMU's back in the day and there cars are still running, there not the fastest but its a very cost effective option with minimal maintenance if your hp goal is 225ish whp.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:28 AM

My goal it to get it tuned @ a shop close to home, Im not [freak]ing with that ****, too complicated and a computer/dyno can show you exactly where your at and where you need to go versus a street tune or DIY.

My power goal is about 220 nothing extreme.

what Im trying to find out is what should i have before i even step foot into a tunning session. So i can get my car tuned properly?

Thanks.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:30 AM

blinx9900.......are you saying, set the turbo up with an fmu and your ready to go?? should there be any tunning involved then?
Old 03-23-2008, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

CROME + free log or eCtune. pass on the $400+ tunning systems.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:12 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As much as some people swear by Hondata, i was actually told by my tuner that he has an easier time tuning Crome and doesn't see any advantage for me to run Hondata over Crome. I had planned to upgrade, but after hearing that, i'll stick with Crome until the day i have money for AEM.

Crome has worked well for me for 2 years and will be going on my new build as well.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Schister66)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As much as some people swear by Hondata, i was actually told by my tuner that he has an easier time tuning Crome and doesn't see any advantage for me to run Hondata over Crome. I had planned to upgrade, but after hearing that, i'll stick with Crome until the day i have money for AEM.

Crome has worked well for me for 2 years and will be going on my new build as well. </TD></TR></TABLE>

There is a LOT of advantages that Neptune/Hondata over Crome. Most people that say Crome is the same never tuned on neptune or hondata.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo-charged &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OBD1 P28 ECU with hondata S300 </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 03-23-2008, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Turbogixxer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbogixxer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

There is a LOT of advantages that Neptune/Hondata over Crome. Most people that say Crome is the same never tuned on neptune or hondata.</TD></TR></TABLE>that maybe true but we are talking about a guy here thats looking to make ~200whp.
i dont see a reason to go with a system that costs $400+ like i said before.

but if he was really set on it he should go with eCtune instead of either hondata or neptune.

p.s. OP, dont mind the bandwagon on here.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (zex_cool)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zex_cool &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">CROME + free log or eCtune. pass on the $400+ tunning systems. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't forget NepTune as a solid option that's not expensive to get tuned with.

And if you're talking about being able to make changes yourself,

eCtune would cost $405 + shipping if you get the regularly suggested setup of the software, Ostrich, and HondaLog.

NepTune RTP is just $399 + shipping (Depending on where you get it you may not even pay shipping) for an all in one package.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:27 AM

Go to your tuner ask him what obd1 system he tunes best with, then get it tuned with that.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (zex_cool)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zex_cool &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that maybe true but we are talking about a guy here thats looking to make ~200whp.
i dont see a reason to go with a system that costs $400+ like i said before.

but if he was really set on it he should go with eCtune instead of either hondata or neptune.

p.s. OP, dont mind the bandwagon on here. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Why does the HP matter? it is good for 800whp, you should use it on 200hp, right

Quick question, you tuned Hondata, Ectune, and neptune?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BB6loveBOOST &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Go to your tuner ask him what obd1 system he tunes best with, then get it tuned with that.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 03-23-2008, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

200whp and 800whp cars using the same ems ? lol
this is 2008 and not 1999, right ?

i really dont get your point, well besides that you sell hondate and neptune. what other once ?

i've tuned both systems that i originally listed.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BB6loveBOOST)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BB6loveBOOST &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Go to your tuner ask him what obd1 system he tunes best with, then get it tuned with that.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I agree

I prefer neptune personally.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:17 PM
Man U FTW

Not to thread jack, but for discussion's sake.

I have a 3-400whp car and dont plan to mess with settings on my own ever. I only need a 2-step and the tune itself...what is the advantage of a $500 Hondata system vs Crome?? Remember that my tuner said he'd rather tune my car on Crome instead of Hondata (and he used to be a Hondata dealer)

I honestly want to know...and try to be as unbiased as possible
Old 03-23-2008, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EkFG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EkFG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">blinx9900.......are you saying, set the turbo up with an fmu and your ready to go?? should there be any tunning involved then?</TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly, its a passive system and it works great.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not to thread jack, but for discussion's sake.

I have a 3-400whp car and dont plan to mess with settings on my own ever. I only need a 2-step and the tune itself...what is the advantage of a $500 Hondata system vs Crome?? Remember that my tuner said he'd rather tune my car on Crome instead of Hondata (and he used to be a Hondata dealer)

I honestly want to know...and try to be as unbiased as possible </TD></TR></TABLE>
im not a tunning expert but i do happen to know a few and they all say CROME is no consistent/stable.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: (SOHC_MShue)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I agree
I prefer neptune personally. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i have used crome, uberdata and neptune rtp. the neptune is by far my favorite to use, from consistancy with my changes, features available and many other aspects
Old 03-23-2008, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Schister66)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not to thread jack, but for discussion's sake.

I honestly want to know...and try to be as unbiased as possible </TD></TR></TABLE>

After switching to Neptune from Crome, I will never look back. The car runs better, James is incredibly easy to get in touch with to resolve problems, the features have been tested and actually work as they are supposed to. There is a lot more to a product that just features. Customer support, continuous R&D, and reliability are important to me and Crome falls short in those areas.

Quick Reply: What to tune with??