Notices

What should I do???

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should I do???

I need some help/advice from the more experienced guys, ill try to make it short and to the point.

I bought a gsr bottom end and a head from a shop called dragtec in oregon. It was run in a guys car (dae yi) for 2500 miles. It is suppose to be 84mm benson sleeves, 9.1:1 arias pistons, eagle rods, ect.. gsr head with ctr intake and an itr exhaust cam.

The motor has been sitting in my dads garage for about 9 months now. The t-belt is off, valves are close, and i did spray oil down in it awhile ago, turned it over by hand a few times, and put the plugs back in.

After a whole big mess, the shop ended up cosing down and blah blah blah, i got screwed, didnt get my alternator, started, half shaft, fmu, ecu, wiring harness, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Right now I'm trying to figure out what to do. I'm worried about the sleeves just sitting for so long since they are iron and that it wasnt broken in right, or clearances are not correct, or something might be up with the valves, but the motor is all assembled and i dont really want to rip it apart. I work at a honda dealership and my buddy's opinion is to get it running and if need be, he will help me rebuild it with the motor in the car. I was figuring if i was going to rebuild it, do it before i put it in.

Anyway, im kicking myself in the *** for buying a built motor and not doing it myself, but at the time i thought it was a good deal, got eager, and bought it anyway.

I have about $2500 to finish everything, i already have the clutch, hondata, harness, mounts, new intake manifold, ecu, injectors, turbo (trying to sell it to get a sc61), rev hard manfiold (trying to sell it and get one of toyosupras).

The car is going to paint this week hopefully and i should be getting it back in about two. Any opinons? advice? TIA, josh

Ps: link to my car in sig. (dont have anywhere to host pics)
Old 08-30-2004, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What should I do??? (adictionbass)

bump for some opinions
Old 08-30-2004, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

pull the head off, since the timing belt is off and its supposed to have only 2500 miles on it you can still probably use the headgasket, and if you cant, the GE ones are like 80 bucks.

80 bucks is a lot less hassle than installing the motor in your car without checking, firing it up, and possibly causing more damage, and then having to pull the engine out again if its messed up.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What should I do??? (Code Blue)

is there anyway to tell what sleeves are in there besides just sticking the mic in and measuring them? supposed to be benson 84 mm
Old 08-31-2004, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 08-31-2004, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

up for any comments
Old 09-01-2004, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so if it was your guys' motor, would you rip it apart? Or would you get it running, get it tuned, rebuild it if need be and not have to worry about messing anything up because its already tuned to some extent so there wont be any damage to the new parts before getting a good tune.