Notices

what rings to use?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 10:39 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what rings to use?

i may have a blown headgasket... so im thinkin... while im replacing the headgasket, im goin to replace the rings, too. what would you recommend? price?
Old 05-15-2003, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what rings to use? (SIK IN DA HED)

replacing the HG can be done in the car fairly easy, but rebuilding the bottom end from inside the engine bay isn't too easy. if the rings are ok then leave them. but if you think they're worn badly then go with all new bottom end parts if you haven't done so already. if you going to do rings might as well do everything else that isn't new etc.

or if you have a built motor with forged pistons, then get the rings that match the pistons. for example Hastings makes the piston rings for Arias and some other popular forged piston companies. just make sure you get what's designed to go with your pistons, and also that the rings are gapped correctly and fitted onto the piston correctly for your application.

BTW what kind of use is the motor seeing? N2O injection or Boost? or SC?

EDIT: just saw your sig about turbo...
Old 05-15-2003, 11:56 AM
New User

Default Re: what rings to use? (sweet)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sweet &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">replacing the HG can be done in the car fairly easy, but rebuilding the bottom end from inside the engine bay isn't too easy. if the rings are ok then leave them. but if you think they're worn badly then go with all new bottom end parts if you haven't done so already. if you going to do rings might as well do everything else that isn't new etc.

or if you have a built motor with forged pistons, then get the rings that match the pistons. for example Hastings makes the piston rings for Arias and some other popular forged piston companies. just make sure you get what's designed to go with your pistons, and also that the rings are gapped correctly and fitted onto the piston correctly for your application.

BTW what kind of use is the motor seeing? N2O injection or Boost? or SC?

EDIT: just saw your sig about turbo... </TD></TR></TABLE>

well... a friend of mine is goin to help me install new rings and he said he was able to do it by taking off the head and dropping the oil pan. he pretty much knows what hes doin. i wanna avoid building my motor cuz ill eventually get out of the turbo honda thing sooner or later. i rather invest my money into something more reliable and fast.
Old 05-16-2003, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what rings to use? (SIK IN DA HED)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIK IN DA HED &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well... a friend of mine is goin to help me install new rings and he said he was able to do it by taking off the head and dropping the oil pan. he pretty much knows what hes doin. i wanna avoid building my motor cuz ill eventually get out of the turbo honda thing sooner or later. i rather invest my money into something more reliable and fast. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yes the rings can be replaced without removing the engine from the car.
if you're taking the head off, then you can remove the oil pan and get to the rod bolts in order to remove the rods/pistons from the block. then change the rings out. normally a quick cross-hatch hone is done on the cylinder bore to accept the new piston rings. you want to make sure that the debris from doing that doesn't get onto the crank etc.

as far as reliable, the Honda is one of the most reliable cars you could have IMHO.
i realize that once you turbocharge a stock Honda motor it won't last forever, but if you build and tune it correctly it'll make gobs of power and last quite awhile.

hope everything goes well.