Notices

What is the proper way to setup boost controller?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the proper way to setup boost controller?

what is the proper way to setup electronic boost controller to wastegate. why do some place it inline between IM and wategate? and why do others connect it to WG top port.. what difference does it make or advantages?
Old 12-05-2006, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What is the proper way to setup boost controller? (vtec.dc2)

Set your top port of the WG into the BC solenoid, set the bottom port of your WG to the compressor housing or any vac signal
Old 12-05-2006, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What is the proper way to setup boost controller? (Flamenco-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Flamenco-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Set your top port of the WG into the BC solenoid, set the bottom port of your WG to the compressor housing or any vac signal</TD></TR></TABLE>

i understand that concept.. but why do people choose one over the other? if it works either way, are there advantages to using top port as well?
Old 12-05-2006, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What is the proper way to setup boost controller? (vtec.dc2)

you can use the bottom port for the manual setup, but you need to hook up the top port for electronic solenoid setup.

stan
Old 12-05-2006, 11:54 AM

Default Re: What is the proper way to setup boost controller? (Flamenco-T)

if you are intercepting the boost line on the side of the wastegate you are bleeding boost to raise the boost. Most manual controllers do this.

Electronic boost controllers as I understand it use boost pressure in the top of the wastegate spring to add pressure on top of the spring so its harder to open therefore raising your boost as well as stopping premature opening.

it's just different ways to tricking your wastegate into doing what you want it to do, personally I like electronic boost controllers for the in cabin adjustments(have to be careful with that can't get boost greedy) as well as the response tends to be better because of the stoppage of the wastegate slowly opening, it helps spool up and to reach maximum boost faster.

when I set up turbos I always run the WG off the intake manifold so that I'm not losing boost thru the pipes and the intercooler if you do it from the compressor housing then your wastegate opens before you actually reach your target PSI level in the intake manifold, usually there is a small 1-1.5PSI lose thru the system.