Notices

What is the first step to learn how to tune a car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 11:41 AM
jdmjay04

Default What is the first step to learn how to tune a car?

What tools do you need?
What education do you need?
Where could you get this education?
Are there any books on tuning a honda?
What is one of the easiest management system to mess with?

Thank you guys. I searched for "learning how to tune " and didint get good threads. So if you could hit me up.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What is the first step to learn how to tune a car? (jdmjay04)

check out efi101.com

thats a good place to start. take the class and you will learn alot. also reading and understanding how and eninge works is good place to start
Old 03-11-2004, 02:22 PM
jdmjay04

any other suggestions
Old 03-11-2004, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What is the first step to learn how to tune a car? (b18bturbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18bturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check out efi101.com </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 03-11-2004, 02:45 PM

Default Re: What is the first step to learn how to tune a car? (VTC_CiViC)

http://www.efi101.com
Old 03-11-2004, 02:48 PM
mh
Honda-Tech Member

learn and understand how an engine works. everything about enginetuning is based on the basics.
besides that i'd look into Energy, and Air.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:00 PM

try https://honda-tech.com/zerosearch and http://www.google.com. Not trying to be an *** but these have been the best tools for me to learn. also http://www.pgmfi.org is a great source.
Old 03-11-2004, 05:35 PM

Default Re: (tegmech)

howstuffworks.com seriously is a good web site
Old 03-11-2004, 07:49 PM

Default Re: (ridnmyhonda)

You do not need a class. Grab an innovative wide-band and check out their forums. Go to your local book store and pick up a book like "civic duty" or "Honda builders handbook" - take a look at them, they give a brief explanation and with that you can ask more in depth questions.

Build a DIY knock sensor and get an egt gauge. Visit the uberdata site and forums and get a copy of uberdata.
Check out boosted-hybrid.com

Search a bit more - there is a lot of info floating around - the things I mentioned will give you a start. Ignore anyone telling you it is too hard or that you need to let a professional tuner do it for you - they are either trying to sell something or they are sheep.

EDIT: Changed 'to' to 'too'

Modified by devnull at 12:13 PM 3/15/2004
Old 03-13-2004, 03:51 PM

Default Re: (devnull)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by devnull &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ignore anyone telling you it is to hard or that you need to let a professional tuner do it for you - they are either trying to sell something or they are sheep.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Anything is hard if you don't know what you are doing. Searching and learning is the hardest part for MOST people...not the doing. EFI101 gives an EXTRAORDINARY amount of information in a short, concise, organized and informative class. And you have a lifetime expert from whom to get tips and ask questions from in the future...worth it to me....costs less than a new engine and allows you to make some dough tuning local friends car if you get good at it.

To the author of this thread...make you sure come to this guy and have him pay for your engine when you blow it up because its 'not hard' according to devnull
Old 03-13-2004, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (xenocron)

Different people learn in different ways. Some can be exteremely succesfull outside of a structured enviroment while others respond better to their own independent research.
You obviously have a computer so may as well start there like other have said already. I think the process of independant learning is more satisfying because not only do you need to find the relevant information you need to organize it so you tend to get more involved in the process. it works for me and my turbo honda
Old 03-13-2004, 11:51 PM

Go to the Hondata Seminar. If youre in socal, its going on Sunday in Torrance, Ca. Do a search and youll find the info!
Old 03-15-2004, 11:08 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xenocron &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Anything is hard if you don't know what you are doing. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Nothing is "hard" if you apply yourself. If you do not know what you are doing - learn. Perhaps your definition of "hard" differs from mine.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xenocron &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Searching and learning is the hardest part for MOST people...not the doing.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I tend to agree. While I fail to see the difficulty in it, MOST people seem unable (I would guess unwilling and lazy) to learn on their own.
EFI101 gives an EXTRAORDINARY amount of information in a short, concise, organized and informative class. And you have a lifetime expert from whom to get tips and ask questions from in the future...worth it to me....costs less than a new engine and allows you to make some dough tuning local friends car if you get good at it.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
I respect your opinion and I am sure efi101 gives a great and informative class. However it IS NOT required for anyone wanting to learn how to tune. It may be worth it for you, but I find searching and learning (not to mention reading) a very easy, natural thing to do. Much like breathing. I do not need to pay someone to gather and present information to me nor do I need to pay someone for technical support. My research skills are more than adequate.

You do not need to insult the intelligence and abilities of the author of the thread (whom you probably don't even know) by assuming he can't learn on his own.

To the author of this thread...make you sure come to this guy and have him pay for your engine when you blow it up because its 'not hard' according to devnull</TD></TR></TABLE>

That a such a stupid statement, it leaves me at a loss for words.

It is not hard. I learned, so can you.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As long as you know exactly how an engine works and you have a good grasp on all the basics then tuning is just common sense and ***** It really isn't hard tuning hondas at least. Lots of the tuners here have dropped little hints here and there. But be choosey who you take advice from.
Old 03-15-2004, 04:44 PM

Default Re: (legendboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by legendboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">But be choosey who you take advice from.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Be extra careful if they are selling anything. Why do you think all the "tuners" tell you that you need to go to them and that you can't do it yourself?
Old 03-17-2004, 04:33 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by devnull &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Be extra careful if they are selling anything.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Paranoid much?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by devnull &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why do you think all the "tuners" tell you that you need to go to them and that you can't do it yourself?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Because those aren't the right "tuners" to be going to...there are TUNERS out there willing to share what they know and teach you a little as they provide a service that MOST cannot do.
Old 03-19-2004, 04:28 PM

Paranoid much?
</TD></TR></TABLE>
You can never be too careful
Because those aren't the right "tuners" to be going to...there are TUNERS out there willing to share what they know and teach you a little as they provide a service that MOST cannot do.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Agreed.