Notices

what to do to lower egt readings...?

Old 05-01-2002, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to do to lower egt readings...?

i'm hitting egt temps of 1500 +/- at wot.....i currently have my ignition timing retarded about 2-3deg....but i recently installed my msd btm and need to readjust my timing...i need to know what should the ignition timing be set at for 6-8psi /sparkplug gap w/msd ignition...etc... trying to lower the egt temps...also are there any other things to try to lower exhaust temps?
Old 05-01-2002, 02:59 PM
New User

Default Re: what to do to lower egt readings...? (uneekcrx)

Hmm...that's just over 800 degrees Celsius. I would get your car on a dyno and check your A/F ratio throughout the powerband. You could be leaning out a little. Although, mine did reach high temperatures too, but 800 consistently is a little high.
Old 05-01-2002, 03:02 PM

Default Re: what to do to lower egt readings...? (degradated)

but even when i'm not in boost..just driving on the road around 60-65mph i'm at around 1400....i was told i should be at around 1200 when not in boost and around 1400-1450 when boosting
Old 05-01-2002, 03:41 PM
New User

Yeah, I think its normal to have high egt temps while crusing on the highway. I can get up to around 800 C after a while of just driving along, and my car is tuned.
Old 05-01-2002, 03:51 PM

Default Re: what to do to lower egt readings...? (SilverLudeSi)

My fuel setup is fmu 12:1, msd inline pump and s-afc (NOT tuned yet)... My egt temps are around 700c or less when driving off boost on the highway, and just a smidge under 800 (consistantly) while in boost NOT WOT (haven't had a WOT run yet at all).

I assume with my fuel setup I should be running pretty rich, are my readings proof of such a conclusion?
Old 05-01-2002, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok UNEEKcrx
EGT temp. 1500 is that in celcius or fahrenheit. if celcius, man this is not good at all....
retarding your timing will just increase the egt temp. even more because you're intruducing the spark at a more later time hoping that the excess fuel will aid the cooling of the combustion process. this late spark action will also create an unwanted end gases propogation. end gases lead to knock/detonation. high intensity pressure wave which increases combustion temperature as it happens..
so my suggestion to you is to properly set your engine not to KNOCK under any condition specialy when under boost...throw away the msdBTM and get water injection.. this will help solve your high EGT reading hoping it's not too late...
it's also help you pass emission lowers NOx emission...
Old 05-01-2002, 05:45 PM

Default Re: what to do to lower egt readings...? (jjgotboost)

the egt reading is in fahrenheit.....so should i just put my timing back to stock and keep it like that?.....i don't understand water-injection is so if you don't mind could you please explain?.....
Old 05-01-2002, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well 1500 fahrenhiet is ok under w.o.t.
i like to leave my timing to stock specialy when your using stock ecu
anyway i use ERL water injection. what is does is that it spray a mist of fine water mixed methanol into the intake stream. this process lower the intake charge air temperature allowing a denser air fuel mixture. cooler air temp= more power...
this set up also steam clean you combustion internals, keeping the valves and pistons carbon free....reduces NOx emision which i just did today and pass all my state emission test requirements. right now it's on my civic equiped with a b20b motor soon to be B20VTEC...for further info on water injection see http://www.aquamist.co.uk
Old 05-01-2002, 06:45 PM

Lower egt readings is achieved by getting more fuel. If you have high egt's readings then its cuz you are running lean. Nobody asked the most important question, what's your fuel system?

Old 05-01-2002, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what to do to lower egt readings...? (jjgotboost)

SNIP...throw away the msdBTM and get water injection..
Dude, water injection is just a bandaid for a turbo. It's fine for a Supercharger, because there's not much else to do (no intercooler)...does uneekcrx even have an intercooler? (not being a jerk, I just didn't catch it in your post). I think you need more fuel, or retard the timing a bit more...are you using colder plugs?
Old 05-01-2002, 09:37 PM

Default Re: what to do to lower egt readings...? (ion_four)

yes i have an intercooler,and i'm currently running ngk7's gapped to .030,and i have my timing retarded 3deg.
Old 05-01-2002, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ou never mentioned what injectors you are runnin.
I was gonna mention a cold plug in the 7 range but I see you have that. I dont think the MSD is doing anything for you at all-but that shouldnt have an impact on cylinder temps.
Are you sure that in the past a previous owner didnt have problems with the motor and had the head shaved--I often think about that with my setup.
I dunno. Maybe your FMU is malfunctioning and leaning you out a bit.
Old 05-02-2002, 04:30 AM

Default Re: what to do to lower egt readings...? (93LSivic)

i've got the stock injectors in right now......i installed my motor myself and i bought it straight from nippon motors and it's a good strong motor...........and i bypassed the fmu already and i still have the same problem.......and i think i'm getting too much fuel not leaning out.....
Old 05-02-2002, 04:53 AM

If your getting too much fuel the egt's would have a low reading. However since you are saying it has a high reading there is no way its running rich. I wouldnt advance your timing too much or else you asking for it.

Old 05-02-2002, 04:55 AM

Default Re: what to do to lower egt readings...? (ekb18c)

so should i return my timing to stock....i can't find anywhere that people has talked about ignition timing for turbo cars
Old 05-02-2002, 04:59 AM

...boost with stock injectors... You're running lean.
Old 05-02-2002, 05:02 AM

Default Re: what to do to lower egt readings...? (blowncivichb)

even at only 5psi?.....i have some 310's but i need to install the 8:1 disc for the fmu right...or can i put them in and just lower the static fuel pressure and not turn up the boost till i get the disc?
Old 05-02-2002, 05:18 AM
BoM
Honda-Tech Member

even at only 5psi?.....i have some 310's but i need to install the 8:1 disc for the fmu right...or can i put them in and just lower the static fuel pressure and not turn up the boost till i get the disc?
wait for the 8:1 disc til u install the 310 injectors
Old 05-02-2002, 05:26 AM
DSF
Honda-Tech Member

If your getting too much fuel the egt's would have a low reading. However since you are saying it has a high reading there is no way its running rich.
Not necessarily. <U>Overly</U> rich conditions can cause high egt's as the excess unburned fuel can be igniting inside the exhaust manifold.
Old 05-02-2002, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

3" inch exhaust will lower your temps by 100C over any aftermarket exhaust at 2 1/4", use factory ignition timing up to 9psi (full advance), your injectors will not support the kind of power, set BTM to 0, when getting into boost floor the pedal for 100%TPS.
Old 05-02-2002, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what to do to lower egt readings...? (rtype11)

3" inch exhaust will lower your temps by 100C over any aftermarket exhaust at 2 1/4", use factory ignition timing up to 9psi (full advance), your injectors will not support the kind of power, set BTM to 0, when getting into boost floor the pedal for 100%TPS.
Rtype, I am trying to understand your post, kinda read like a bunch of punchlines, but no joke ! LOL
Seriously tho, I really didn't get what you were getting to with the ignition advance... run stock ignition, full advance ??

BTW, he's running 7psi on stock injectors... shouldn't really have a problem. What turbo is this ?
Old 05-02-2002, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what to do to lower egt readings...? (X2BOARD)

I think your EGTs are fine. Those are the readings I got when I had 2.5" dp/exhaust and the FMU setup.

Dustin
Old 05-02-2002, 01:19 PM

Default Re: what to do to lower egt readings...? (dustin)

cool thanks for the replies.....but i need someone to answer the ingnition timing question too...set it to stock /advanced it /or leave it retarded 3deg.? i also just installed the msd btm...
Old 05-27-2002, 09:55 PM

my egt guage just keeps rising under boost even at just 5psi...on the interstate it's at 1300f but under boost it will go to 1400-1500f and then i just let off the pedal.....is this normal? i don't think that i'm running lean since all of my fuel problems have been b/c of running extremely rich i currently have 310's w/8:1 fmu disc and nos inline pump and i haven't even really boosted past 5psi....someone posted earlier in this topic that if i'm running really rich i could have higher egt readings too.....is this true?
Old 05-27-2002, 10:05 PM
New User

man there's a lot of misinformation on the information highway heh heh

I'm not going to sit here and explain EGT all over again, but just read this link

http://www.sdsefi.com/techegt.htm

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what to do to lower egt readings...?