Notices

What bends to get for a custom intercooler piping??

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What bends to get for a custom intercooler piping??

I was planing on doing my own piping setup for my intercooler and was curious to know what bends and how many of them I should get? I need the piping to go from my turbo to the intercooler and from the intercooler to my intake pipe that ends right underneath the fenderwell hole (apexi sohc turbo intake pipe). Thanks for any help guys.
Old 05-29-2003, 02:55 PM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

Default Re: What bends to get for a custom intercooler piping?? (superduperman)

waht kind of car
Old 05-29-2003, 03:42 PM

Default Re: What bends to get for a custom intercooler piping?? (HybridcivicLS-T)

99 Civic EX
Old 05-29-2003, 03:50 PM

It depends which way you want to run the pipes. The most common is to have them at wither ends of the intercooler, so you'd need a 90 coming off the turbo, going towards the driver's side. 1 more 90 to turn it towards the front of the car, and another 90 to turn it into the intercooler. Out from the intercooler, you'd need another 90 to turn it back towards the firewall, and from there either a pair of 45's to shoot it up into the engine bay, or maybe your piping can take over from there...

Either way buying 5 90 deg bends is more then enough. a 90 can be cut into 2 45's easy. But this all depends on what kind of intercooler you're using...
Old 05-29-2003, 05:10 PM
EPIC TUNING

Default Re: What bends to get for a custom intercooler piping?? (Canuk_SiR)

2 90*, and 3 180* (one of which you must cut and either weld or use hose clamps and use as upper charge pipe.
Old 05-29-2003, 07:57 PM

Default Re: What bends to get for a custom intercooler piping?? (rewsnaeht)

wow this post is very beneficial to me as well, but there are 2 different opinions. could anyone else elaberate more??
Old 05-29-2003, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What bends to get for a custom intercooler piping?? (rewsnaeht)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rewsnaeht &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">2 90*, and 3 180* (one of which you must cut and either weld or use hose clamps and use as upper charge pipe.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree with this...if you get these and POSSIBLY some additional straight pipe you will be more than fine. Though, you will probably not need the extra straight. It's (1) 180º that you cut for the upper charge pipe, going to (1) 90º that connects to (1) 180º to the intercooler, another 180º on the other side and then 90º up to the turbo...
Old 05-29-2003, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What bends to get for a custom intercooler piping?? (ion_four)

http://www.cse.uconn.edu/~yele....html

scroll down... he has part num's and everything
Old 05-30-2003, 05:43 AM

Default Re: What bends to get for a custom intercooler piping?? (pissedoffsol)

I'm in the process of doing my own piping right now on my '00 Civic Coupe. I used (2) 90 bends and (2) 180 bends from jcwhitney. All piping are 2.5" OD; The 180 bends are 24" A/B and the 90 bends are 10" A/B. A/B is important; if it isn't long enough you will come short. These pipes I ordered are just long enough and little room for trial and error.

Part numbers I ordered are:
81ZX3035N 180° Mandel-bent Aluminized Tubing, (A/B)=24", (C)=5", ID=2-3/8", OD=2-1/2"
81ZX2953P 90° Mandel-bent Aluminized Tubing, (A/B)=10", (C)=5", ID=2-3/8", OD=2-1/2"

http://www.jcwhitney.com/produ...=jcw2

I used one 180 bend here:

I shortened one leg of the bend and the other leg is about right under where the turbo would be.

I used a 90 bend here; from the ic to the coupling:

No cutting neccessary.
The other pipe is the result from the other 180 u-bend that I cut for the intake. It goes up through the hole thats there from the stock intake. And is obviously too long, but I'm not done yet.

Here's whats left

The pipe on the top left is what I'm using for the intake manifold and is a part of one of the 180 bends
The one on the bottom left is whats left from that 180 bend for the upper piping
The one on the top right is whats left from the first 180 bend on the lower piping or turbo to IC.
And the bottom right is the other 90 bend that I haven't even touched but I will use to connect to the turbo compressor outlet. This part may change with different setups but I'm mounting my turbo with the compressor side on the driver side and clocked to where the compressor outlet is facing down. So, if yours is different, just visualize. I can't finish, however, because I need the motor in for the perfect fit.

{edit} Oh yeah, it also depends on how long your intercooler is also. If its shorter than mine, you could just use the leftover straight leg from the first 180 and weld it to the 90 bend on the upper IC side (passenger side). {edit}
Hope this helps!

Old 05-30-2003, 06:21 AM

Default Re: What bends to get for a custom intercooler piping?? (Vadian)

nice post...i'll be doing some on a 00 coupe soon as well that helped a lot. How long is your i/c with the endtanks? I want to see if im gonna have to add straight pipe. thanks
Old 05-30-2003, 06:51 AM

Default Re: What bends to get for a custom intercooler piping?? (BlueSi2k)

wow thanks man those pictures are a blessing!!! thats simplifies things soo much. much appreciated bro!!!!!!
Old 05-30-2003, 01:58 PM

Default Re: What bends to get for a custom intercooler piping?? (BoostedSOHC)

THANKS!!
Old 05-30-2003, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does anyone know what size reducer hose I would need for my b16 throttle body.

My intercooler piping is 2.5". So what is the diameter of the throttle body?

Or do I just get a straight 2.5" Silicone coupler?

I was thinking using a 2 3/4" to a 2.5" turbohoses.com has it for 30 bux!! Anyone know a place that is cheaper?

Modified by BodyKits NW at 5:15 PM 5/30/2003

Modified by BodyKits NW at 9:44 PM 5/30/2003
Old 05-30-2003, 04:24 PM

Default Re: What bends to get for a custom intercooler piping?? (BodyKits NW)

I think the throttle body is 2.75". I just used the home depot 2" ones and stretched it over lol but then again im not boosted yet, that was for my homemade intake. I wouldn't trust the home depot ones for boost. I havn't seen them any cheaper that that so i guess we all gotta cough up the 30 bucks
Old 05-30-2003, 05:36 PM

Default Re: What bends to get for a custom intercooler piping?? (BlueSi2k)

NP guys. My IC is 30" long and the leftover straight pipe I have is 16" long, so I believe that the pipes will just about any length IC.

As for the throttle body size, its more along the lines of 2.25" I have a jg/edelbrock 65mm and thats right at 2.5" ...isn't stock 62mm?

I got my couplings from road race engineering. Still expensive but cheaper than $30.
http://www.roadraceengineering...s.htm

My transaction with them was swift and smooth. No problems.

Hope this helps!
Old 05-30-2003, 08:22 PM

ok new question! i was just looking under my car tonight and it looks like my down pipe will be in the way of IC piping! how did you guys get around this? this is with a apexi kit for a SOHC, and im sure the greddy kits are the same way!
Old 05-30-2003, 08:56 PM

Oh yeah, I failed to say that I'm not running AC or PS so I'm not sure if the pipes will clear either. I also removed the windshield wiper reservoir and pump. Sorry if it kills everything

As for the downpipe problem, well depending the way the turbo is clocked, you may be able to just rotate the 180 bend up and back over the top of the intercooler. Then add a 90 bend back into the turbo compressor outlet if its pointing to the front of the car. However, depending on how large your IC is and how you mounted it, the pipe will run into that bumper beam. You may have to do some trimming or take the thing off all together which I really don't reccommend.
Old 05-30-2003, 09:17 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoostedSOHC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok new question! i was just looking under my car tonight and it looks like my down pipe will be in the way of IC piping! how did you guys get around this? this is with a apexi kit for a SOHC, and im sure the greddy kits are the same way!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hope this helps ya

Old 05-31-2003, 01:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What bends to get for a custom intercooler piping?? (Midwestrider)

good thread great post Vadian

Here is what I have so far:

The only thing is is that the charge pipe is 2.5" and those two 180-degree bends are 2.25". And those u-bends are only a foot long; looks like I was suppose to get them 2 feet long (A/B=24)??

So I'm guessing I should just pick up two 90-degree bends?? Does that sound right? I have a GSR motor in a 93 Civic, log-style mani, and compressor mounted on the driver's side. TIA
Old 05-31-2003, 04:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What bends to get for a custom intercooler piping?? (SuperDuperEG)

your b series TB uses 2.5" hose coupler, so get 2.5" to whatever your charge pipe is.

just get about 6 U-bends, you can make a 45 or 90 or 60 degrees angel out of a u-bend

stan

Modified by Flamenco-T at 4:02 PM 5/31/2003
Old 05-31-2003, 05:39 AM

Default Re: What bends to get for a custom intercooler piping?? (Flamenco-T)

Stan is right, you can get 6 u-bends and make any angle. But a part of my mindset in this topic is cost efficiency. You can do it with 6 bends, but you can also do it with 10 bends. How much left over is the question. I've never done piping for a car with AC and compressor on pass. side, but 6 bends may just be right for it. I won't know till I try it. But if you don't mind spending money and having leftover, by all means, go for it. The thing with my setup is that I'm only left with a little bit of straight pipe after I get done so there's little room for error, especially with the bends. So if I mess up, then I'll have to wait for jcwhitney to ship another pipe and spend money on shipping.

Anyway, Charles, I would work with what you have now if possible; test fit the parts and see what you will need. I can't stress enough, also, to measure, measure, measure.
Its hard to reccommend what you need without looking at it. But from my thoughts, its definitely too short. I'm not sure if EGs have that same hole in the passenger wheel well for the intake. So you may need more than (2) 90 bends. If you have AC, you can probably still route the pipe underneath the AC compressor, but if your car is too low you may have to go around it which will take more bends to do. As for the different size diameter pipes, just use a reducer coupling to connect them together.

HTHs
Old 05-31-2003, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good info
Old 06-01-2003, 09:34 PM

Default Re: What bends to get for a custom intercooler piping?? (JOEY F.)

if anyone else can take pics of there IC piping installed on a 96 and up civic please post! ESPECIALLY APEXI INTERCOOLER! or GREDDY!! the previous pics help but they are wierd angles, im tryint to determine length and angles to get around the downpipe thanks!
Old 06-10-2003, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for more pics...

Ek with B series motor and turbo kit anyone?

Also, I noticed in the supplied link, the guy used a 180 from the IC to the Charge pipe because in a teg, the charge pipe runs down behind the radiator and fan. In a civic, it can run where the cold air intake would run, thus only needing a 90 degree (shown on red civic above).

So my question is.. should I buy a 90 or a 180 for the IC-CP piping for a gsr swapped 6th gen coupe?

Modified by phiberoptik at 5:59 PM 6/10/2003
Old 06-10-2003, 06:59 PM

Default Re: What bends to get for a custom intercooler piping?? (phiberoptik)

I'd get a short A/B 180 bend then use a 90 bend to direct the pipe upwards. If you have an Integra of course.

Quick Reply: What bends to get for a custom intercooler piping??