Notices

What am I missing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What am I missing?

Hey guys, I should be getting my motor back in about 5 weeks from getting built and I pretty much need to have it in and all the turbo stuff, ie everything installed and ready to tune in 1 weekend.

I guess I am wonder what little thing I might be missing that might screw me over and I'll have to order to. If you could look over the parts list and think through it, I would really appreciate it.

This is my first turbo build.

Full Race B-series Pro Am Traction Bar
Full Race Front Mount 22x8x3 & Piping
Thermal 3” Exhaust
Downpipe
Full Race Dump Tube
PWR Radiator and Full Race Fan
Full Race ProStreet AC Stage 3 GT Kit
Full Race Vacuum Block
Intercooler Anodizing
Coatings for turbo, manifold, piping, etc
Oil Line/Vacuum Line/Hardware/Gasket/Hose Clamp/Silicon Coupler Kit
GT 35r Turbo .82 A/R Exhaust Housing
Tial 50mm BOV
Tial 44mm Wastegate w/ 8lb spring
Walbro 255lph HP Fuel Pump Intank
GM 3-bar Map Sensor
Competition Stage 5 clutch w/ upgraded pressure plate
Ultralightweight 7 lb Flywheel
RPM Services 72mm TB
Apexi AVC-R Boost Controller
Plug Wires NGK Blues
Greddy Timing Belt
Edelbrock Intake Manifold
AEM Fuel Rail $140
Aeromotive A1000 FPR
Tein Hood Dampers
Hasport Motor Mounts
RC 1000cc Injectors Peak and Hold

Darton Sleeves 84mm bore x 89 mm stroke 9:1 CP Pistons Manley Rod
Ferrera Valve Train w/ TI retainers
LS Crank
ITR Cams

AC Line Re-route from Muckman
Map Sensor plug (if use GM and not Omnipower (Pepboys Part #85146)
Air Filter
Turbo Coolant Lines https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1957629&page=1
Oil Restrictor
T1 Catch Can
Maxbore IM to TB

Outlaw Engineering IM gasket
Turbo Manifold gasket
Omnipower/Hondata Mapsensor
TPS Plug STILL NEED??? Help?
Headgasket
Studs for IM & TM (King)

Gauges (Wideband, Boost, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, Fuel Pressure, Pillar, 3-wire kits for temp and press gauges, etc)

Battery re-route kit
Falken Azenis rt615 215/45/16
A-SpecRacing 32mm rear sway bar
Radiator Hoses
Moroso Steel Oil Pan (King Studs)
TPS sensor from King
Portflow P&P Head
Neptune (Jeff Evans)
ARP Head Studs
Toda Cam Gears
Autopower Race Roll Bar

Old 02-04-2008, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What am I missing? (totsie7944)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by totsie7944 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
This is my first turbo build.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What, no stock engine plus kit the first time out?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by totsie7944 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Plug Wires NGK Blues </TD></TR></TABLE>

Only if you are getting them cheaper than OEM. They are OEM, just in blue.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by totsie7944 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Greddy Timing Belt </TD></TR></TABLE>

Stock works great, too.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by totsie7944 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Aeromotive A1000 FPR </TD></TR></TABLE>

Stock works great, too.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by totsie7944 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Falken Azenis rt615 215/45/16</TD></TR></TABLE>

You're asking for wheelspin unless these are the lowboost/street tires and you have a set of slicks for track day. The 14" offering does a good job in intermediate power packages due to the extra sidewall, but the super stiff low profile sidewalls on the 15+ tires will result in poor traction at a launch and approx the same traction as one of the drag radials from a roll.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by totsie7944 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Autopower Race Roll Bar </TD></TR></TABLE>

I doubt you'll be happy with the fit unless you are ready to modify it a good bit. If you are looking for an easy install just make an appointment with a cage builder is my $0.02, the kit stuff is a rough approximation for the DIY minded who like to tinker and the Autopower stuff is one of the rougher approximations.

Looks like a pretty complete setup, though. I 100% approve of the Thermal R&D and the Ferrea valvetrain, among others.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:41 AM

Default Re: What am I missing? (Joseph Davis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Joseph Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What, no stock engine plus kit the first time out?

Only if you are getting them cheaper than OEM. They are OEM, just in blue.

Stock works great, too.

Stock works great, too.

You're asking for wheelspin unless these are the lowboost/street tires and you have a set of slicks for track day. The 14" offering does a good job in intermediate power packages due to the extra sidewall, but the super stiff low profile sidewalls on the 15+ tires will result in poor traction at a launch and approx the same traction as one of the drag radials from a roll.

I doubt you'll be happy with the fit unless you are ready to modify it a good bit. If you are looking for an easy install just make an appointment with a cage builder is my $0.02, the kit stuff is a rough approximation for the DIY minded who like to tinker and the Autopower stuff is one of the rougher approximations.

Looks like a pretty complete setup, though. I 100% approve of the Thermal R&D and the Ferrea valvetrain, among others.</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha well I've been rocking a 220whp NA build with ITB's for a year now and got bored. I figured I'd go all out with like a 480-500 pump, 620-650 whp C16 engine lol

Gone through 2 OEM timing belts....never again will I trust them. But I was also running toda C's, which are kinda rough on T-belts haha

Im not installing the roll bar for a while. Just have it laying around. Not entirely sure I want it in my car.

I mean but what about things like how coolant lines will be run? can I run coolant lines like stock with this setup? Im worried about the little crap...what do I need to weld? Stuff like that, that I can do while the motor IS NOT in the engine bay.... haha
Old 02-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's why I made the stock engine w/ kit crack.

You have a very very large Lego set, sir, and to build everything the way you want it will require getting halfway done and seeing what fits as well as how it should be made to fit. It's a little more complicated than an ITB setup... and if you reroute the wastegate dump into the downpipe it'll be a lot quieter.

I really recommend you get the drivetrain and bare IM, turbo manifold, and turbo installed and then start devising ways to route your wiring, vacuum, oil feed and drain, and small coolant lines. Go ahead and hang the IC and charge pipe, but be prepared to remove part of the charge pipe to fit things.

Take it in steps.

There are a lot of small pieces and bits you need that you won't know about until you are in there. You should make a build thread with a bunch of pictures and solicit advice if something doesn't want to clear, etc, and you can get all sorts of good advice as well as provide an example for strays who wander into it. Make a point of letting the car sit for a couple days until you are 100% sure you know the direction to go. You are approaching this build with the 100% **** retentive attention to detail I see out of huge all motor guys, and I assure you that you won't be happy with the car if you don't do it this way.

I'm also a big fan of running less than knock limit on pumpgas. It's quality and consistency is not as regulated as race fuels, burn characteristics change slightly with proprietary additive packages, etc. If you cap pumpgas power in the 400-430 whp range on an engine that "can do 500" the engine will last a lot longer. BTW, at 400 you really want to run something other than Azenis.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:22 AM

Well I figured getting a full-race kit and custom lines made for most things, which I've already gotten, would allow for a fairly easy install. I planned on installing the big parts first and seeing how I wanted to run things from there.

I'm not completely blind to what to expect. I know at first things won't go 100%. I was going to wait to install the front mount until I saw where the charepipes would wanna lay?

I know Azenis aren't that good. Got them cheap and needed a wider tire than 205, which is on there now. I'll prolly get used to driving the car first before I get better tires haha.

I mean most of the lines have been pre-fabed with the kit, like the oil lines, turbo coolant lines and fittings, AC lines...other than the vacuum lines and engine coolant lines, it should technically all run smoothly. But yes, I know that would be too good to be true
Old 02-04-2008, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like you have a decent grasp of what's going on. Most stupid fitment issues are sidestepped by buying the FR package, I really like their backdoor setups as they install clean.

Sorry I couldn't be of more specific help at this point.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:44 AM

hey man no worries. I know I asked a really deep question when I haven't even started installing anything yet.

I just was hoping there isn't a obvious part I forgot that I need with a turbo set-up, etc. I assume I have everything. At this point it's a matter of organizing my steps.

Such as welding fittings for lines while the motor is out. Putting fittings in the block where theres a stock plug to run the T1 catch can.

I've read about 100 articles on turbo set-ups and each time I read something I realized I need something else.

lol I didn't even know about the oil regulator for turbo oil feed lines until last week! That could have been a disaster haha