Notices

waste gate at fault?

Old 05-17-2003, 08:34 AM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default waste gate at fault?

hey, guys. just installed a RevHard Stage 2c kit. everything went relatively easy. problem is i build boost pretty quick to 4lbs, then it stops cold. could it be the spring in the waste gate (turbosmart)?? the gauge doesn't move at all. it hits a sold 4lbs.
Old 05-17-2003, 08:56 AM
New User

Default Re: waste gate at fault? (kaj)

I just pm'd u but I'd like to be a post ***** right now.

Why dont you try boosting w/o the vac hose connected. If it doesn't go past 4psi with it removed then your wg may be to blame.

Just be careful not to boost into an unsafe level.
Old 05-17-2003, 11:22 AM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: waste gate at fault? (Pritos)

sounds good. i'm using an FMU, etc setup right now and am being VERY careful. i just don't trust it.
thanks for the PM!!
can i just change the spring in the wg??
Old 05-17-2003, 11:46 AM
New User

perhaps the spring or the valve is binding against something. IF the problem is the WG.
Old 05-17-2003, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if its not the wastegate... u can up the bost with a boost controller. dotn have to change the spring.
Old 05-17-2003, 12:30 PM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: waste gate at fault? (turbod16y8)

removed the vacuum line. boosted like crazy. but didn't seem to go anywhere when the boost went up. it shot to about 10lbs almost instantly. engine felt like was "out of gas". revs went up but car didn't seem to move. maybe it did, i just got off the gas too soon??
Old 05-17-2003, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 05-17-2003, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm confused.

Do you mean that it boosted to 4psi and then stoped? IE, spooled up to 4psi and ran 4psi till redline?

Whats the PSI rating on the spring?

or It spooled to 4psi, and then the car seemed to "stop cold."?
Old 05-17-2003, 01:10 PM
New User

yeah dont do that 10psi thing often. You aren't going anywhere because you aren't getting the fuel. It should feel like a fuel-cut on a NA car. couple of questions:

What line are u attaching the WG to? are there two nipples on the wg? if so, which are u using?

What is your fueling setup?
Old 05-17-2003, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: waste gate at fault? (Bryson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bryson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm confused.

Do you mean that it boosted to 4psi and then stoped? IE, spooled up to 4psi and ran 4psi till redline?

Whats the PSI rating on the spring?

or It spooled to 4psi, and then the car seemed to "stop cold."?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok, when we have the bottom nipple of the wastegate hooked up to the nipple on the compressor housing. The car see's 4psi by 4500 and holds 4psi until redline.

When he removed the vacuum line from the wastegate it kept spooling to 4+psi. @ 10psi he let off.

Even though it was spooling, the engine didn't fell like it was reacting too well to the boost.

We're not sure what spring is in the turbosmart wastegate? This is what was supplied with Rev Hard 2C
Old 05-17-2003, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pritos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah dont do that 10psi thing often. You aren't going anywhere because you aren't getting the fuel. It should feel like a fuel-cut on a NA car. couple of questions:

What line are u attaching the WG to? are there two nipples on the wg? if so, which are u using?

What is your fueling setup?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Inline Fuel Pump
Vortech FMU 10:1 or 12:1 disk, not too sure?
Stock Injectors
Stock FPR
Old 05-17-2003, 02:07 PM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: waste gate at fault? (RyanAutry)

i put in the proper plugs and now it doesn't seem to "die" at 6k when the secondary opens up. i still had some old, nasty platinums. i put in the correct plugs and the car pulls up past 10psi with the vacuum line off, or the vacuum line on the top nipple. with it on the bottom nipple it still spools to 4psi and holds it there 'till redline. am i explaining this very well?? anyway. i'm disappointed and need help. i'm thiking i have a 7lb spring in the wastegate and need to buy their 9lb spring??
Old 05-17-2003, 02:17 PM

um well i don't think the stock injectors like going past 4psi or so in fuel.. it felt like it was out of gas b/c the injectors couldn't give it enough fuel....
Old 05-17-2003, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Spudddy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spudddy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">um well i don't think the stock injectors like going past 4psi or so in fuel.. it felt like it was out of gas b/c the injectors couldn't give it enough fuel....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Should be fine with the FMU.

My other friend runs 10psi with stock injectors and a 12:1 FMU, matched with a Walbro Pump.
Old 05-17-2003, 02:38 PM
New User

Default Re: (RyanAutry)

hrrrm, well it sounds like the wg is working fine. although, if you have the 7psi spring in there it theoretically should hit 6-8 psi. maybe its the wrong spring in there and this boosting problem is an 'illusion' and you are actually boosting the correct amount? *scratch* I know that turbonetics makes a 3-5 spring so perhaps apexi does too.

another test: if you have a spare boost gauge and a bike pump... remove the dump tube so you can feel or see the valve opening. rig something up so you can use the bike pump to slowly apply postiive pressure to the wg. keep an eye on the WG valve AND the boost gauge. that'll tell ya when that spring is opening.

I lean towards a fueling issue.. Can you triple check (I'm assuming you double checked heheh) the FMU. Perhaps the lines are reversed?

ALSO check the polarity of the inline pump. I've heard of people getting that reversed.

cheers!
Old 05-17-2003, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Pritos)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pritos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hrrrm, well it sounds like the wg is working fine. although, if you have the 7psi spring in there it theoretically should hit 6-8 psi. maybe its the wrong spring in there and this boosting problem is an 'illusion' and you are actually boosting the correct amount? *scratch* I know that turbonetics makes a 3-5 spring so perhaps apexi does too.

another test: if you have a spare boost gauge and a bike pump... remove the dump tube so you can feel or see the valve opening. rig something up so you can use the bike pump to slowly apply postiive pressure to the wg. keep an eye on the WG valve AND the boost gauge. that'll tell ya when that spring is opening.

I lean towards a fueling issue.. Can you triple check (I'm assuming you double checked heheh) the FMU. Perhaps the lines are reversed?

ALSO check the polarity of the inline pump. I've heard of people getting that reversed.

cheers! </TD></TR></TABLE>

We will check those things.
Old 05-17-2003, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe it's becuase your wastegate is reading off of the turbo and the intercooler adds a 2psi boost drop and that's why you only see 4 psi. Try running the WG hose to the manifold and then it will read manifold pressure instead of turbo pressure before the intercooler.
Old 05-17-2003, 04:27 PM
New User

Default Re: (SuperTeg95)

good point superteg. makes you wanna get an EBC to compensate for that. I loved (sold it) AVC-R.

Modified by Pritos at 6:04 PM 5/17/2003
Old 05-17-2003, 04:32 PM

Where is the vac line for your boost guage connected?
Old 05-17-2003, 05:55 PM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Diego Boost)

another update:
it seems to run fine at partial throttle.
at WOT it stutters, stutters again at vtec, stutters again 'till 6k then pulls.

i just got my *** kicked by a GSR.... i have to fix this.

the idea about testing the wg with a bicycle pump sounds good. Ryan hooked up the boost gauge.. can't remember where he tapped into it.
i'll also have to double check how the FMU is hooked up. i never really saw the insructions.
Old 05-17-2003, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Diego Boost)

The Boost guage and FMU is connected to the FPR Vac Line.

I guess we could get vacuum for the wastegate from the manifold, instead of the turbo, right?

Someone correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 05-17-2003, 06:08 PM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RyanAutry &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The Boost guage and FMU is connected to the FPR Vac Line.

I guess we could get vacuum for the wastegate from the manifold, instead of the turbo, right?

Someone correct me if i'm wrong. </TD></TR></TABLE>

that sounds worth a try. someone posted above making a point that we probably want to get the reading from there anyway, since that's where it's important? sooo, say 10psi at the turbo would give me less at the manifold, right? that would explain the weak psi. it's 9lbs (or whatever my spring is) at the turbo but dies by the time it reaches the manifold/boost gauge.
is this right anyone? i think i'm catching on..... hell, Ryan's the mechanic, i'm just the driver!
Old 05-17-2003, 06:09 PM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kaj)

still need an answer if anyone can help:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kaj &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">another update:
it seems to run fine at partial throttle.
at WOT it stutters, stutters again at vtec, stutters again 'till 6k then pulls.

i just got my *** kicked by a GSR.... i have to fix this.

the idea about testing the wg with a bicycle pump sounds good. Ryan hooked up the boost gauge.. can't remember where he tapped into it.
i'll also have to double check how the FMU is hooked up. i never really saw the insructions.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 05-17-2003, 06:18 PM
New User

Default Re: (kaj)

What do your plugs look like? lets see if the stuttering is because you're rich or lean. pull all 4 and check em out.
Old 05-17-2003, 06:23 PM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pritos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What do your plugs look like? lets see if the stuttering is because you're rich or lean. pull all 4 and check em out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yup. did that. a couple tiny black specks. some white stuff on curved part of the plug that's over the electrode. sorry for the lack of technical terms.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: waste gate at fault?