Notices

Waste(gate)d Egos...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waste(gate)d Egos...

Background: JDM GSR in EG with bolt-ons (no internals)... looking for a mild very streetable turbo setup. In the planning phase so I'm doing research. As things I read leave me questions I'll be posting.

The GT2876R after all my research seemed to give me the best chubby. It would work just fine on stock internals; boost quickly so it was fun to drive on the street; still provide decent 1/4 mile times and pull the estimated 285 to 350 whp that I was searching for in my first turbo car.

From my reading an internal wastegate builds up a bit of backpressure causing more heat in the exhaust housing and thus reducing performance from the turbo. Why is it then that no Garrett or any other manufacturer produces an externally wastegated turbo under that housing size besides Turbonetics which makes the T3 Super 60; this was the only other turbo that looked to provide my wants though I would prefer a Garrett any day over the Turbonetics. Is this due to the fact that an external wastegate would allow too much pressure to evacuate the system or that the smaller turbo will never produce enough pressure justifiable for the smallest external wastegates manufactured?
Old 02-16-2007, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Waste(gate)d Egos... (Surfjunkie44)

34 views and not one reply? Forced induction forum... huh? I can't believe there isn't at least one smartass who found a similar size turbo by some no-name manufacturer just to at least prove me wrong. C'mon... where are the peeps that know what they are talking about? It's a legitimate question...
Old 02-16-2007, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Waste(gate)d Egos... (Surfjunkie44)

simple reason. Ease of installation and less parts, thats why they go with internal wastegates.

ps..IMO...the GT30R would be a better choice. More room to grow if/when you eventually build the motor. This turbo would pull harder up top too.

When I plotted my 10:1 C/R LS/VTEC, on the dyno graph the GT30 won hands down.

I don't have this turbo though, but the numbers say it would rock!!
Old 02-16-2007, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Waste(gate)d Egos... (mike1114)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">on the dyno graph the GT30 won hands down.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So I've got some questions then such as which model of the GT30 won... was it the GT3071R or the GT3076R?

The GT3071R would be the quicker spooling though the outputs from the GT3076R could make almost 50 more HP. But that gets away from the whole power amount I was originally attempting to attain especially on stock internals. This also gets into the whole big turbo with low boost vs. smaller turbo with high boost arguement which I have no desire to incorporate within this thread.

The GT3071R though does offer a "free float" turbine (ie - no built-in wastegate). The GT3076R is recommended for a 2.0L and above motor which means I would need to build the bottom end hence getting away (again) from the stock internals. That's an interesting arguement between the two though as the GT2871R/GT2876R would spool more quickly than the GT3071R but the GT3071R does offer the option of the external wastegaste. Anyone elses opinions into this matter?

I am NOT asking anyone to pick my turbo setup! But rather I am asking opinions about the best choices available based on each person's own research comparitively with mine.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Waste(gate)d Egos... (Surfjunkie44)

http://www.atpturbo.com/Mercha...e=GRT

different housing options?
Old 02-16-2007, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Waste(gate)d Egos... (narfdanarf)

There's another topic you should look at atm, the one about twin-scroll/divided housings. They mentioned a gt30 with a divided T3 .78ar housing. Should flow very well and also spool very quick.

Also look at Tony the Tiger's setup. Granted his has ITB's and many other enhancements, he has a good idea about the diff between the gt28rs and gt2871r on a built GSR.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Waste(gate)d Egos...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by narfdanarf &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">different housing options?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Unless I've got the tech sheets sitting infront of me then I am stupid... I really need the spec sheets: inlet vs. outlet sizing/trim/HP capacity/etc. Is there an advantage other than the obvious sturdier connection with the five bolt setup?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HiProfile &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the one about twin-scroll/divided housings. Also look at Tony the Tiger's setup.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I actually posted in the thread and no one has responded as of yet. To my knowledge this will eventually become a mainstay in turbo production as this reduces the likely hood of exhaust fumes being blown back into the CC... it goes along with the same principle as split runners in the EM.

Gotta link for Tony the Tiger?

PS - Thanks for the info!