Notices

walbro 255 high pressure or regular?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default walbro 255 high pressure or regular?

apparently there are 2 types of the 255, a regular version and a high pressure version. which would be reccomended for a goal of 300whp using a stock fuel rail and fpr?
Old 01-14-2006, 04:09 PM

Default Re: walbro 255 high pressure or regular? (clemsonteg)

Get the HP!!!
Old 01-14-2006, 04:40 PM

Yes you need the high pressure pump..
Old 01-14-2006, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what is the real difference in them? and is the high pressure gonna result in me having to run a different fpr? i get the whole high pressure thing i was just wondering, this is basically the last piece of my kit so after this ill be ready to install everything this spring
Old 01-14-2006, 06:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It kind of angers me to see those monkeys chiming in with bad advice .

Here's the difference - the "hp" model is intended for FMU setups. An FMU creates super high pressure at the rail, so you need the high pressure pump to keep up with it's demands. However, the return orifice on a stock FPR is too small for this pump, and often times your fuel pressure will creep.

So basically:
1. You have an FMU - you need the 255 HP and an aftermarket FPR.
2. You are tuned with larger injectors - you need the standard 255 and can retain your stock FPR.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: walbro 255 high pressure or regular? (EnzoSpeed)

i will be tuned on rc 550s and crome, so i will get the standard version, thank you for the correction
Old 01-14-2006, 06:57 PM

Old 01-14-2006, 07:07 PM
476 whp / 323 tq @ 17 PSI

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EnzoSpeed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It kind of angers me to see those monkeys chiming in with bad advice .

Here's the difference - the "hp" model is intended for FMU setups. An FMU creates super high pressure at the rail, so you need the high pressure pump to keep up with it's demands. However, the return orifice on a stock FPR is too small for this pump, and often times your fuel pressure will creep.

So basically:
2. You are tuned with larger injectors - you need the standard 255 and can retain your stock FPR.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 01-14-2006, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EnzoSpeed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It kind of angers me to see those monkeys chiming in with bad advice .

So basically:
2. You are tuned with larger injectors - you need the standard 255 and can retain your stock FPR.</TD></TR></TABLE>

With the exception of vehicles that run high fuel pressures, such as K-series and some Nissan, or anything that is going to push a lot of boost where the normal Walbro would start running out of efficiency due to elevated rail pressure. Like, say, for example, an aggressive LS, or better yet D16.

BTW, you ever see the flow chart for a HP 255 vs normal 255? And stopped for ten seconds to calc fuel pressures in an FMU based system? HP 255 can't keep up, period. The only logical conclusion is that the HP 255 is meant for vehicles that require them, and have absolutely nothing to do with the use of FMUs.

You may now offer me a banana.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:33 PM

Default Re: walbro 255 high pressure or regular? (J. Davis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

With the exception of vehicles that run high fuel pressures, such as K-series and some Nissan, or anything that is going to push a lot of boost where the normal Walbro would start running out of efficiency due to elevated rail pressure. Like, say, for example, an aggressive LS, or better yet D16.

BTW, you ever see the flow chart for a HP 255 vs normal 255? And stopped for ten seconds to calc fuel pressures in an FMU based system? HP 255 can't keep up, period. The only logical conclusion is that the HP 255 is meant for vehicles that require them, and have absolutely nothing to do with the use of FMUs.

You may now offer me a banana.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'm goin to run a t3/t04e turbo at 8 lbs and 550cc injectors with a stock fuel rail and stock fuel pressure regulator on my LS, high pressure recommended then?
Old 01-15-2006, 12:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: walbro 255 high pressure or regular? (integra_LSR)

there is the pic showing the difference between the two pumps. basically they flow the same until you get to 60PSI and above. so i would say if you are running the stock fuel pressure and only 10psi of boost then the regular 255 will be fine. then again for only 10 bucks more you might just want to go ahead and pick up the HP. pic courtesy of lightning motorsports, check them out when you are ready to order your pump

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
BTW, you ever see the flow chart for a HP 255 vs normal 255? And stopped for ten seconds to calc fuel pressures in an FMU based system? HP 255 can't keep up, period.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah unless you are running a really low ratio fmu like 4:1. but considering most fmu's used on hondas are 10:1 or 12:1 an inline pump is needed.

Old 01-15-2006, 12:18 AM

Default Re: walbro 255 high pressure or regular? (dpetro1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dpetro1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

there is the pic showing the difference between the two pumps. basically they flow the same until you get to 60PSI and above. so i would say if you are running the stock fuel pressure and only 10psi of boost then the regular 255 will be fine. then again for only 10 bucks more you might just want to go ahead and pick up the HP. pic courtesy of lightning motorsports, check them out when you are ready to order your pump

yeah unless you are running a really low ratio fmu like 4:1. but considering most fmu's used on hondas are 10:1 or 12:1 an inline pump is needed.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks
Old 01-15-2006, 12:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: walbro 255 high pressure or regular? (integra_LSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by integra_LSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i'm goin to run a t3/t04e turbo at 8 lbs and 550cc injectors with a stock fuel rail and stock fuel pressure regulator on my LS, high pressure recommended then?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I recommend your stock fuel pump. Good to near 300 whp.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:28 AM
z6
Honda-Tech Member

I recommend your stock fuel pump. Good to near 300 whp.</TD></TR></TABLE>o rly?good to 300 hp?
Old 01-15-2006, 03:22 AM

Default Re: walbro 255 high pressure or regular? (z6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by z6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">o rly?good to 300 hp?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ha, you should know better than to question J.D.

Now he's going to hit you back with some crazy response you can't even begin to understand.

Anyway, the standard 255 for tuned cars/255hp for FMU cars is pretty standard usage. That's what I've always done in the past. Just get the 255. After all, it's only $90.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:27 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">BTW, you ever see the flow chart for a HP 255 vs normal 255? And stopped for ten seconds to calc fuel pressures in an FMU based system? HP 255 can't keep up, period. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Funny, the HP always worked for me. And the rest of the import world.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You may now offer me a banana.</TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/flash/peanutbutter.html
Old 01-15-2006, 03:29 AM

Default Re: walbro 255 high pressure or regular? (dpetro1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dpetro1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
yeah unless you are running a really low ratio fmu like 4:1. but considering most fmu's used on hondas are 10:1 or 12:1 an inline pump is needed. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you trying to say that FMU setups require an additional inline pump
Old 01-15-2006, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow, now im just confused, so do i or dont i need the hp? i know i will be running 10-12 psi and the stock fpr runs a 1:1 ratio, so if i run the stock fuel pressure at 43 along with a boost of 12 max, that puts me at 55, at that point they look to be a 3 gallon difference. So should i get the standard version, or pay the extra 10 bucks and get the hp?
Old 01-15-2006, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EnzoSpeed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://www.ebaumsworld.com/flash/peanutbutter.html</TD></TR></TABLE>

My daughter loves the peanut butter jelly time bit, Giggles madly to it.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it is a funny video, still dont know about the fuel pump
Old 01-15-2006, 05:25 PM

Definitely get the standard 255.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

320whp GSR - 750cc injectors - Uberdata

Would it be bad is I already have the HP version? Whats the downside?
Old 01-15-2006, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: walbro 255 high pressure or regular? (synik)

I would go with the hp pump.. I had the reg pressure pump and when I mapped it on the dyno it was losing pressure at the top end of the curve I changed to a hp and it maintained fuel pressure all the way through no dipping
Old 01-15-2006, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: walbro 255 high pressure or regular? (TheThiefTheKnife'NTheGun)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheThiefTheKnife’NTheGun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would go with the hp pump.. I had the reg pressure pump and when I mapped it on the dyno it was losing pressure at the top end of the curve I changed to a hp and it maintained fuel pressure all the way through no dipping</TD></TR></TABLE> Good, sounds more reassuring.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: walbro 255 high pressure or regular? (synik)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by clemsonteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> wow, now im just confused, so do i or dont i need the hp?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think what everyone is saying is that either pump would work just fine. the HP will not be necessary for your setup. like you said, they will probably be flowing the same amount of fuel anyways. i know some d-series guys that run the stock pumps without a problem but for $90 i think a higher flowing pump is cheap insurance. so if you wanna save $10 then go with the regular, you will be fine. if your not worried about the $10 then get the HP there are no disadvantages to having it on a mild setup like your own.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EnzoSpeed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Are you trying to say that FMU setups require an additional inline pump

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i was saying that for some FMU's an inline pump is required. as you can see from the graph not even the HP pump can flow enough fuel, if any at all, to meet the demands of the FMU. just think 40 psi stock pressure + 10psi boost on a 12:1 FMU. that would put you around 160psi fuel pressure which means 0 gph of fuel flow out of the HP pump. right?

Quick Reply: walbro 255 high pressure or regular?