Notices

vtec vs. non-vtec

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 01:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vtec vs. non-vtec

whats up guys. ok heres a question i have always thought about, on a turbo car, what is the difference between a vtec and non-vtec head if they are both ported and polished to the exact same level, and they both have the most agressive cams money can buy? from what i understand the non-vtec cams are always more agressive than vtec, whether it be turbo cams or na the non vtec cams have a larger lift and longer duration. no matter what the ls stroke will always make more torque. i dont really understand. thanks.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:43 AM

Default Re: vtec vs. non-vtec (whoneedzvtec)

ttt
Old 12-27-2005, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This has been covered alot of times. Also you can just do a quick search for dyno pictures and you will see that vtec always makes more power.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:17 PM

Default Re: vtec vs. non-vtec (EVIL Hx Coupe)

ok....i was looking for a logical answer that could help me understand why. not "vtec always makes more power".
Old 12-27-2005, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by whoneedzvtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok....i was looking for a logical answer that could help me understand why. not "vtec always makes more power".</TD></TR></TABLE>

Like I said, SEARCH!!!! This has been covered plenty of times. Here's one:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adseguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow comon guys...not a single good explanation yet.

Vtec itself is good for boost since it changes the cam lobe to a better profile in the higher revs.

The reason people say VTEC is bad is because most Vtec are higher compression motors then non Vtec engines (10:1 for the GSR and 9.1:1 for the LS) higher compression is a little harder to tune and doesn't give much room for error as far as tuning goes, but it can easily be done and makes great power.

LS motors make more torque because of 2 things:
1.) the stroke is longer which = more torque
2.) The head itsn't as efficient so more boost is required for the same HP as a GSR leading to more torque and the same HP

Hope that clears everything up and all the rumors associated </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 12-27-2005, 01:18 PM

Default Re: vtec vs. non-vtec (EVIL Hx Coupe)

i searched and did'nt find anything, maybe i was doing something wrong. but that does'nt aswer my question anyway. everone knows that a stock vtec head will flow better and stock vtec cams r a lot better. but what i was trying to say is if they r both pnp to the same level, and they both had a really good set of cams what is the difference? turbo cars make power at high rpms. the 1-5k rpms at the bottom are kinda irrelevant. whats the difference of using a second set lobes or using large lobes to begin with?
Old 12-27-2005, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by whoneedzvtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i searched and did'nt find anything, maybe i was doing something wrong. but that does'nt aswer my question anyway. everone knows that a stock vtec head will flow better and stock vtec cams r a lot better. but what i was trying to say is if they r both pnp to the same level, and they both had a really good set of cams what is the difference? turbo cars make power at high rpms. the 1-5k rpms at the bottom are kinda irrelevant. whats the difference of using a second set lobes or using large lobes to begin with?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Having small lobes for low end and big lobes high end has the benefit of better power thoughout the entire powerband while still having smooth idle. basically good low end withought having to sacrifice top end power.