Notices

vortech or jrsc?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vortech or jrsc?

I have been driving a mildly modded(i/h/e) 94 gsr and as of late im on a quest for more power. For my purposes of daily driving I have decided to purchase a supercharger kit. But, from what i know i cannot decide on which kit to buy, the jrsc, or the vortech kit. I am not trying to achieve maximum driveability, and i believe that a supercharger is easier to maintain, and easier to install, so please correct me if i am wrong in any way.

Also, please post experiences, and or stats comparing the vortech and the jrsc.

thanks in advance
Old 04-30-2002, 04:54 PM

Default Re: vortech or jrsc? (94TEGSR)

Well, first of all I'd go turbo instead of supercharger, but anyway JRSC over the Vortech without question. Try the seach feature on here, this topic is covered at least once a week. The vortech will give you higher peak hp but the JRSC power curve is much nicer. Good luck with whatever you do.
Old 04-30-2002, 06:58 PM

Default Re: vortech or jrsc? (jamal-188)

i wonder if someone can post a thought about gettin a supercharger without someone mentioning that a turbo is better. probably a better chance honda ever makin a car with torque.

anyway, i do agree, the JRSC has a much better torque curve than the vortech.

[Modified by el_Presidente, 3:58 AM 5/1/2002]
Old 04-30-2002, 07:11 PM

Default Re: vortech or jrsc? (el_Presidente)

i wonder if someone can post a thought about gettin a supercharger without someone mentioning that a turbo is better

[Modified by el_Presidente, 3:58 AM 5/1/2002]
Wonder why this is?
Old 04-30-2002, 07:15 PM

just answer the damn question as is. what's so hard about that?
Old 04-30-2002, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JRSC.
Old 04-30-2002, 07:48 PM
Corr Performance Pilot

Default Re: vortech or jrsc? (newgsrdriver)

JRSC.
ditto
Old 05-01-2002, 04:14 AM

just answer the damn question as is. what's so hard about that?
and he said correct him if he is wrong in any way!!!!

Well, I"m correcting him to as what I think is wrong, I think getting a JRSC is wrong and I gave him my advice which was get a turbo instead, what's so hard to understand about that??????
Old 05-01-2002, 05:04 AM

I've seen this debated over and over. Can someone show me the dyno runs your looking at that shows such a dramatic difference in JRSC & Vortech charging kits?

I personally like the Vortech because its can handle more boost upgrades than the JSRC. And I have seen some impressive things done with the Vortech.

All in all its all about how well FI is tuned no matter how you do it...
Old 05-01-2002, 05:57 AM

Default Re: vortech or jrsc? (vtec_addict)

what's the point of gettin a vortech over a turbo.. it doesnt give you immediate boost like the jrsc since it still gotta spool and even if you hold (for argument's sake) the peak power produced from a vortech equal to that of a turbo, it would still be less efficient because turbos are spooled from exhaust gases .. yadda yadda yadda .. you've heard it all before .. i just dont see the rationality in it
Old 05-01-2002, 06:30 AM

Default Re: vortech or jrsc? (SexyTeg)

what's the point of gettin a vortech over a turbo.. it doesnt give you immediate boost like the jrsc since it still gotta spool and even if you hold (for argument's sake) the peak power produced from a vortech equal to that of a turbo, it would still be less efficient because turbos are spooled from exhaust gases .. yadda yadda yadda .. you've heard it all before .. i just dont see the rationality in it
dont want to risk toastin my gsr motor...

I'd turbo an ls in a minute if I had one..
Old 05-01-2002, 06:32 AM

http://www.hondalife.com/articles/po...splacement.htm

In this article you can find the dyno graph you are looking for, as well as the reason why JRSC is the better choice ....

" i wonder if someone can post a thought about gettin a supercharger
without someone mentioning that a turbo is better"

I think someone always mentions to just buy a turbo because so many people I have seen Buy a JRSC, are unhappy with there stock boost, upgrade the pulley to and 8psi one , still want to go faster, and eventually have to ditch the supercharger for a Turbo to get more power out of their car, when they could have gone turbo in the first place and saved alot of $$$$

The reality of life is that most people will not remain content with how fast their car is ... if you have a 13 sec car , you want a 12 sec, a 11 sec, you want a 10 sec....
Old 05-01-2002, 06:42 AM

Default Re: vortech or jrsc? (dasher)

thanks for posting that.. exactly what I was looking for and have never seen
Old 05-01-2002, 07:12 AM

I have a JRSC and like it except for the fact that it is very limited in the level of boost you can have. Between it and the vortech I would recommend getting the JRSC because of the power band issue. The vortech operates in almost the same manner as a turbo so it provides power later than the jrsc, but it is has an aftercooler/intercooler and can tolerate higher boost levels. I believe it starts kicking in around 4000rpm versus the jackson which kicks in almos immediately. Just for your information I am probably switching to turbo because I have no more room to expand my JRSC. I run it a 10 psi now and am looking to get a little more boost (power is so addictive...you always want more). If you would be happy with 200-240 hp and don't think you want any more than that than the JRSC should be fine for you. Any forced induction you add to your engine has the potential to "blow it up" if you don't manage the engine properly, so it's more a matter of your end goals.
Old 05-01-2002, 07:39 AM

Default Re: vortech or jrsc? (mojord)

in my opinion i say the vortech because of the after cooler. and you can get more upgrades.
Old 05-01-2002, 08:56 AM

Default Re: vortech or jrsc? (mojord)

I have a JRSC and like it except for the fact that it is very limited in the level of boost you can have. Between it and the vortech I would recommend getting the JRSC because of the power band issue. The vortech operates in almost the same manner as a turbo so it provides power later than the jrsc, but it is has an aftercooler/intercooler and can tolerate higher boost levels. I believe it starts kicking in around 4000rpm versus the jackson which kicks in almos immediately. Just for your information I am probably switching to turbo because I have no more room to expand my JRSC. I run it a 10 psi now and am looking to get a little more boost (power is so addictive...you always want more). If you would be happy with 200-240 hp and don't think you want any more than that than the JRSC should be fine for you. Any forced induction you add to your engine has the potential to "blow it up" if you don't manage the engine properly, so it's more a matter of your end goals.

exactly.... Boost is Boost... a SC or turbo can blow up an untuned engine just as easily .... but with Turbo you can very easily change the psi level with a boost controller unlike a SC which you would have to swap a pulley.
This is why more people blow up their engine with Turbo than a SC ... it is not the Turbo that makes the system unreliable but the person which has no control to keep the boost at a reasonable level .....

Old 05-01-2002, 09:09 AM

Default Re: vortech or jrsc? (CovertFI)

in my opinion i say the vortech because of the after cooler. and you can get more upgrades.

... but if you realize the negative points of a centrifugal SC and are simply choosing the Vortech because of the Aftercooler or upgradability than why not just go Turbo. (THe Jackson does offer a Liquid intercooler system BTW)
The Turbo will produce more power, will be more upgradable, and you can use a more efficient front mount intercooler.
The Vortech essentially behaves like a Turbo(by having to spool up, and not giving instant Torque like a Eaton blower), but has less power because of parasitic drag on the engine.
I thought one of the main reasons why people buy a SC instead of a Turbo is because a SC gives instant power unlike a Turbo which has to spool up. But a centrifugal SC has to spool up like a Turbo, so it really gives you the worst of both worlds.
It really just doesn't make sense to go with the Vortech IMHO.

[Modified by dasher, 1:10 PM 5/1/2002]
Old 05-01-2002, 11:11 AM
Corr Performance Pilot

Default Re: vortech or jrsc? (CovertFI)

Well if you look around on here you will notice that two different people with two different sorts of cooling have been develepoed. So I dont think that statement is valid anymore as far as beign able to cool the charger post or ante.
Old 05-01-2002, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: vortech or jrsc? (dasher)

just get a turbo kit. It is MUCH cheaper to start out, plus you will get more power if you know what you are doing. IMO turbo is easier to install. Plus your numbers will look a lot better with turbo. I have a t3/t04e .57 S3, A/R .63 turbo in my car right now running6 psi safetly with the fuel management my kit came with. I have driven JRSC GSR's before and I can easily say I will never buy a blower. I reach full boost at around 3500 rpm. At 9 psi I will be looking at 290 whp with my specific turbo. What kind of numbers will your JRSC show at 9 psi?

[Modified by intekragsr, 8:42 PM 5/1/2002]
Old 05-01-2002, 12:03 PM

I guess i am pretty much convinced against getting an s/c after reading replies, using the search feature on this website, and reading experiences on the web. Now to find a good turbo kit. I was looking at the rev-hard kit, and the drag kits but cannot tell the difference between them even though the drag kits cost more. once again i am not looking for a 11 second car here. i want a good street turbo.
Old 05-01-2002, 12:19 PM

I once thought about getting the JRSC, but after months of research and reading on these boards and others, as well as raw facts... I went turbo... and I own a AUTO and I decided turbo against JRSC..... Common missconception is turbos kill more motors then SC's.... its the PERSON that kills the car NOT the forced induction 99% of the time.
Old 05-01-2002, 12:27 PM
New User

vortech or jrsc?

neither.
Old 05-01-2002, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I guess i am pretty much convinced against getting an s/c after reading replies, using the search feature on this website, and reading experiences on the web. Now to find a good turbo kit. I was looking at the rev-hard kit, and the drag kits but cannot tell the difference between them even though the drag kits cost more. once again i am not looking for a 11 second car here. i want a good street turbo.
Good thinking buddy. Welcome to Honda-tech Drag kits dont usually cost more than Revhard kits, i thought it was the other way around. Im not too sure about the differences in the drag or revhard kits, besides the manifold design. Also the drag 3 kit comes with bling blinging pipes if that matters to you. Heres what mine looks like :

Contact ben@importparts.com to get a deal on a drag 3 kit.
Old 05-01-2002, 12:57 PM

it seems like you guys dont care about emessions laws, what would happen if you get pulled over and cop sees your turbo you are f***
Old 05-01-2002, 01:06 PM
New User

Default Re: vortech or jrsc? (metal-x)

emissions???? whats that?????

Quick Reply: vortech or jrsc?