Notices

VIN NUMBER!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2001, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VIN NUMBER!!!!

I am going to post this on all forums.
The other day my stupid neighbor parked his race car outside on the street(public) and covered it with a car cover.
Well, that same week it got towed and a vehicle theft recovery team agent came by the my house asked me if I knew anything about this vehicle. I said "yeah it's the guy up street who own's it". He replied "that vehicle has no VIN numbers and no plates". I said "yeah, of course it doesn't have any plates cause it's a race car!?" He said that it's a felony if you remove or deface any vin numbers and this vehicle didn't have any dashboard where the vin should have been at. I told him that the vin number on the firewall and on the door jam is still in tact it should be fine. He said "No, removing a dash with a vin number is a felony". I'm like WTF is this idiot thinking! I told him that a bunch of my racer friends remove their dashboards as well as my own race car! He's said "Just better make sure that I don't catch them!" On the same note this whole conversation was occuring in my garage with my friends Integra being gutted out for full race. He looked inside my friends car and said "I could arrest you for removing your dash". In my mind I felt like kicking him in his throat for being so stupid! I told him "don't worry I have the dash in the back of my friends Suburban(we were just about to take it to the junk yard).

Please tell me that this Officer is full of it cause that's what my SF cop friend said. By the way this was DALY CITY cop too as well.
Old 11-29-2001, 05:34 AM
New User

Default Re: VIN NUMBER!!!! (accordking)

damn
Old 11-29-2001, 06:13 AM
Texas B*tch!

Default Re: VIN NUMBER!!!! (GSRacer)

huh, mmm why did he park it outside then, and worst of all, apparently in an illegal parking spot?
Old 11-29-2001, 09:48 PM

Default Re: VIN NUMBER!!!! (ForcedAccord)

I still ask that question, WHY?
Old 11-29-2001, 11:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

10751.e3) At the hearing, the seizing agency has the burden of establishing that the serial or identification number has been removed, defaced,altered, or destroyed and that no satisfactory evidence of ownership has been presented
So that makes it sound like your guilty until proven innocent. Ahhh, the American way.

10751.f) This section does not apply to a scrap metal processor engaged primarily in the acquisition, processing, and shipment of ferrous and nonferrous scrap, and who receives dismantled vehicles from licensed dismantlers, licensed junk collectors, or licensed junk dealers as scrap metal for the purpose of recycling the dismantled vehicles for their metallic content, the end product of which is the production of material for recycling and remelting purposes for steel mills, foundries, smelters, and refiners
Sorry, doesnt say anything about race cars. There has to be something in the vehicle code that talks about it though, I'm just not seeing it. Much like those stupid misinformed cops who cant seem to find time to read the subsections.

Old 11-30-2001, 12:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As long as the vehicle is registered, you're fine.
Old 11-30-2001, 12:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ouch!! I removed by stock civic dash and replaced it with an integra Type-R dash (which has had the vin removed) Althought the rest of my cars vin numbers are in the same normal place.

really makes you think...

liam
Old 11-30-2001, 01:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VIN NUMBER!!!! (liam821)

Jeremy's vehicle code quote basically states that the state has the burden of proof to show that the car is not yours. If the car is registered to you and you have the pink, there is no problem.

Dustin
Old 11-30-2001, 01:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: VIN NUMBER!!!! (dustin)

Jeremy's vehicle code quote basically states that the state has the burden of proof to show that the car is not yours. If the car is registered to you and you have the pink, there is no problem.
Dustin
well thats good! then i wont worry. thanks

liam