Notices

very wierd problem running lean

Old 01-14-2002, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default very wierd problem running lean

ME and my civic hatch /w a b18c and a dragIII kit were driving down the highway the other night.... all is well. About an hour into the drive, the my autometer a/f gauge starts to stay in the orange area instead of the green are at WOT. Gradually, it starts to stay in the red instead of the orange (i.e. reading very lean and never bouncing into the red even at WOT). After a while, it stops registering all together, and the car begins to bog... when I step on the gas it slows down in the form of bogging. I barely make it home, and park it for the night. The next day, I start it up and it works fine. I fear taking it on a trip over an hour because I think it'll do it again (lean out). Any thoughts? I was thinking maybe my o2 sensor is clogged? My plugs, wires, cap, rotor are all good. It only seems to happen after I drive it for a while.
Old 01-14-2002, 11:55 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: very wierd problem running lean (servion)

Whats your fuel management?? In tank pump? If so possibly could be you are overheating it if running to high fuel pressure and it can't hold.. Elaborate on your setup.

Nick
Old 01-14-2002, 12:05 PM
New User

Sounds like a lazy fuel pump... was it upgraded?
Old 01-14-2002, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: very wierd problem running lean (boost killz)

My setup is a '93 civic si hatch with a b18c and all the parts from the DRAGIII kit, boosting 7psi. I have the stock in-tank pump, as well as the in-line pump that came with the drag kit. I installed everything that came with the dragIII kit... as far as engine management goes, I'm using a stock p72 OBDI (integra) ecu. The only fuel mods I have are the vortech rising-rate FPR and the inline fuel-pump that came with the kit. I'm not sure specifically which inline pump i'm using, but I bought the drag kit new this year, so if anyone knows what pump it comes with, that's what i'm using.

thanks!
Old 01-14-2002, 12:32 PM
New User

I would upgrade the in tank pump to 255lph, but I would get a 2nd opinion from someone else here, but that does sound like your issue. I t could be getting stressed out simply. Good luck,

Nick
Old 01-14-2002, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey your O2 is crapping out or u got a bad connection check the connection first if thats not it its your O2 then. Seen it a million times.
Old 01-14-2002, 01:41 PM
Trial User

same thing happened to me....i could drive the car for a while and then it would just slowly go into the red on the a/f guage and the car would bog. Ended up being the stock fuel pressure regulator.
Old 01-14-2002, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: very wierd problem running lean (DRAGLS)

So, are you talking about checking the connection for the o2 sensor? One guy told me I could use a parts cleaner to clean off the o2 sensor... do you think that will help? Does that mean that somehow the extended heat of th exhaust gases (+1 hour highway driving) is somehow screwing with the sensor?

I've got a spare o2 sensor laying around at my parents house that I'm gonna try to throw in once I get a chance to go visit them... I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Old 01-14-2002, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: very wierd problem running lean (Turbolude)

did you just have to change your stock FPR with a new one? You didn't have to mess with the vortech?
Old 01-14-2002, 03:24 PM
Trial User

just changed the regulator out...didnt mess with the fmu
Old 01-15-2002, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: very wierd problem running lean (Turbolude)

hm... I changed my fuel pressure regulator last night because I had a spare one with the bnm commandflo unit on it... and that didin't fix the problem. I did notice, however, that the fuel pump that came with the drag kit was making weird noises... after I had driven it a while and it decided to run lean on me, I parked it in my garage, and the noise drag fuel pump was no longer a constant buzzing, but a fluxuationg one. Normally, I can hear a constant straight buzz coming from the drag fuel pump, but the noise was fluxuating in pitch and volume... anyone think that this could be signifyingf the fuel pump is bad? The car works ok now for only a few minutes before going lean, adn when it's lean it will get to the point where I press on the gas and the car boggs. Could it be my fuel filter is clogged?

I also took out my o2 sensor and sproayed it with some parts cleaner, let it dry and put it back in.. no effect.
Old 01-15-2002, 12:14 PM
New User

Could be a clogged fuel filter or clogged sock in the tank. Or the inline could be dying.

When did you change the fuel filter?

Randy
Old 01-15-2002, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: very wierd problem running lean (RGAZ)

I think I changed the filter about a year ago... and I still had the stock d16z6 at that time. My car has never seen anything less than premium fuel (91 is the highest octane we have up here) since I've owned it.
Old 01-16-2002, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm having the same problem. I basically have the same setup you do, FMU wise. I recently replaced the Fuel Filter thinking that was it, and NO DICE. I'm starting to suspect the O2 sensor, I've heard the 1 wire sensors are notorious for it. I wired my inline pump to a switch thinking like the other posts, maybe my intank couldn't keep up with the increased Fuel demand. NO DICE, either. Wierd thing is, it only happens after prolonged driving-especially on the Freeway. Usually, the fix is to REV the engine really high a couple times, and the problem goes away. My next move was going to be the OE FPR, but since you said you already replaced yours, I may think otherwise.
Old 01-16-2002, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: very wierd problem running lean (integracon)

hm... how long have you been turbo? I talked to my buddy with a build and boosted type-r, and another sho powner who's really good down here... and they both think its my injectors. The guy with the type-r had the same problem I am having and it was his injectors.. he reaplaced them with come 310cc's and it worked great. I guess his stock injectors went out on him about a month or tewo after he was boosting... adn that's about how long it's been for me.... how long have you been boosting?

(btw I tried the fuel filter, no luck. I evern tried my buddie's inline fuel pump, and no luck... my pump worked fine on his car as well.)
Old 01-16-2002, 01:16 PM

When my speed sensor went out on me in my hatch it would drive great for little while and then it would start falling on it's face. But if I punched it several times it would take off like a champ and then start falling on it's face again. I didn't have a a/f meter on the car at the time and I don't have a turbo on my car yet. But I wasn't getting any type of code or anything. So I replaced my speedsensor out and it still would go through the same process. So I had to buy a used cluster for it and I haven't had a problem since. Not sure if this will help any but I thought I could at least throw it out there.
Old 01-16-2002, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've been boostin a little over a year. It's been doing it after about a week after it was installed though. I guess it could be the injectors, I'm runnin on the stock ones. So do they think they just can't handle it or it's actually due to a BAD injector? I'm kinda leanin towards a Fuel supply problem(which this is) cause when I had my NOS setup, the car would do the same thing, all I would have to do is cycle my inline Fuel pump, and vuala-worked like a champ. That's why I was kinda surprised when I wired my current inline up the same, and it didn't work. Let me know if that works, cause I planned on upgrading my injectors anyways.
Old 01-16-2002, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm pretty sure that the stock injectors can handle the 7psi I'm putting at them (that's what I've been told), but I think that doing it over this much time has made them go bad (this is my current theory anyway). I an definitely sure its a fuel delivery problem ,and I think I've ruled out the o2 sensor because I cleaned it, and there' sno chekc engine light and it does give me readings that would be correct if Iwas running lean (as I think I am). I just don't want to drop 90 bucks an injector on 4 injectors to have it not solve the problem.
Old 01-16-2002, 04:59 PM

hey man, it's ur plugs, get densos
thank me later
Old 01-17-2002, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I ordered some injhectors.... $300 new. I'll let you guys know how they go... should be here tomorrow