Notices

Very Cheap Turbo Setup

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very Cheap Turbo Setup

What is the ultimate cheap a$$ turbo setup for a 90 dx sedan?

I Have no funds currently for the setup I would like to run, 12 months ago was a different financial story blah blah, sold the car with a promising future...

Now have the ultamate sleeper a 90 dx sedan with stage three rust!!! lightening enhancment, among other issues with a 230k honda of its vintage.

So a junkyard turbo setup is what is in the cards for the soon to be beast sleeper...
I like a/c, dont care about power steering, Blah,Blah

So what is the cheapest turbo setup recomended with yard parts?
Old 11-25-2009, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cheap a$$ Turbo Setup

HF manifold with homemade t3 adapter, cheapest turbo you can find at a junk yard from a saab or something.

no intercooler, and homemade charge-piping and downpipe. and ebay couplers. Then no tuning. Then particle wear leads to some sort of catastrophic failure and you end up spending more money than if you did it at least semi-right the first time.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Eighty-Nyne
HF manifold with homemade t3 adapter, cheapest turbo you can find at a junk yard from a saab or something.

no intercooler, and homemade charge-piping and downpipe. and ebay couplers. Then no tuning. Then particle wear leads to some sort of catastrophic failure and you end up spending more money than if you did it at least semi-right the first time.
agreed. May as well just squeeze... your ******* that is, and hope for the best!

Last edited by Clipsed; 11-26-2009 at 01:54 AM.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The hf to t3 adapter and downpipe isnt an issue as I have access to a cnc mill, lathe and a tig welder, Just tryin to get an idea on some low cost options, and will be running an intercooler for sure, as well as a da rad I have layin around, but to increase fuel and air through the duel piont tb is the biggest issue, Im concerned with aside from fuel and timing management tuning, as I also have access to an engine dyno and flow bench, the dp tb is about the size of one itb you know.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by benwadb1
but to increase fuel and air through the duel piont tb is the biggest issue
This is you're biggest problem.

Honestly, I say MPFI swap, and engine rebuild, d16a6 cam and a head mill.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Eighty-Nyne
This is you're biggest problem.

Honestly, I say MPFI swap, and engine rebuild, d16a6 cam and a head mill.
That's THE FIRST PLACE I'd START cause if you do some backyard turbo kit your shat is gonna POP !!!!!
Old 11-25-2009, 11:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

YOU CAN NOT BOOST AN MPFI MOTOR. a6 cam is the same as the d15, no need to swap, if you want a better cam, get a zc cam.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Clipsed
YOU CAN NOT BOOST AN MPFI MOTOR. a6 cam is the same as the d15, no need to swap, if you want a better cam, get a zc cam.
-Wrong
-Wrong
-Yes
Old 11-26-2009, 01:48 AM
Touching My Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NAWZ? You're going to blow it up anyway. Less work = more fun
Old 11-26-2009, 01:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

in terms of lobe height and intake duration, yes, it's the same cam. There is a slight difference on exhaust duration, it will not make the car anymore powerful. Boosting an MPFI motor is pointless, anything is possible, that's why I said you can't, don't get this dudes hopes up. ****ing typical honda owner...
Old 11-26-2009, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Clipsed
in terms of lobe height and intake duration, yes, it's the same cam. There is a slight difference on exhaust duration, it will not make the car anymore powerful. Boosting an MPFI motor is pointless, anything is possible, that's why I said you can't, don't get this dudes hopes up. ****ing typical honda owner...
Don't know of a lot of honda's that run CIS, TBI, CPI, or DI...
Old 11-26-2009, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is the ED DX toilet I plan on boosting. So why cant you boost mpfi? The dpfi is the Red headed step child, I have never come across anyone trying to make more power with it and that is exactly why I would like to do so as a challange.

I have considered cutting the inteke runers to run motorcycle itbs or carbs, but more trouble than its worth on this car. As well as converting it to a weber 32/36 dg series carb.

Anyway A log manifold or hf manifold, t3 turbo, some mandrel bent pipes couplers, i/c, a bov, and a few an oil lines I should be able to waste the clutch, tires, and motor mounts in no time, and only plan on running 5-7 psi anyway...
Attached Images   
Old 11-26-2009, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

intercooler pipint-- ABS piping at menards its like 2 yrds for 3 somethin and some change yeah thats right!
or you can "G" some rubber truck radiator hoses at the junk yard.

IC-- just buy a SMIC from a dsm I got mine for 10 bucks

turbo-junkyard sells them cheap

HF mani and just drill holes into the flange that will fit your turbo

all together should be like 100 bucks if your patient
thats how much my stuff cost so far.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:32 PM
New User

Originally Posted by benwadb1
This is the ED DX toilet I plan on boosting. So why cant you boost mpfi? The dpfi is the Red headed step child, I have never come across anyone trying to make more power with it and that is exactly why I would like to do so as a challange.

I have considered cutting the inteke runers to run motorcycle itbs or carbs, but more trouble than its worth on this car. As well as converting it to a weber 32/36 dg series carb.

Anyway A log manifold or hf manifold, t3 turbo, some mandrel bent pipes couplers, i/c, a bov, and a few an oil lines I should be able to waste the clutch, tires, and motor mounts in no time, and only plan on running 5-7 psi anyway...

This great pictures, thank you for sharing them. I will return to post the picture on this forum and you'll find them great.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EK-ek
intercooler pipint-- ABS piping at menards its like 2 yrds for 3 somethin and some change yeah thats right!
or you can "G" some rubber truck radiator hoses at the junk yard.

IC-- just buy a SMIC from a dsm I got mine for 10 bucks

turbo-junkyard sells them cheap

HF mani and just drill holes into the flange that will fit your turbo

all together should be like 100 bucks if your patient
thats how much my stuff cost so far.
^This guy is in the right direction.... Your going to need to swap the shitty Dual point injection out to MPFI. Heres a write up to make it easy for ya http://hondaswap.com/swap-articles/d...writeup-49557/
Then to keep it nice and cheap grab yourself a pr4 obd0 ls ecu plug that bitch in and shizzzam you got yourself alittle extra fuel for your little turbo kit!
Remeber have fun! P.S There was a kid around town with a 90civic dx little hm turbo kit with a subaru wrx turbo. he was using a ls ecu running 5psi, it ran pretty good and lasted a longtime. Hope i could help!
Old 11-27-2009, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Very Cheap Turbo Setup

dear lord. At least convert to something you can tune. A ls ecu is specified to throw in the same amount of fuel that a d series engine is. I believe its 260cc/min. You could just take your engine to the woods and open fire on it with a shot gun and that would be cheaper and probably more fun. If you want the apsolute cheapest way I would go with dsm everything from a junkyard, injectors, turbo, sidemount, downpipe, manifold everyone said, and then find someway to tune it. Without a tune you are going to make power for a short amount of time. Increase air needs a increase in fuel, without this you are going to pop your engine in no time. If you want power and not blowing her up swap a mpfi and vtec head on with bolt ons. dpfi blows......!
Old 11-27-2009, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just run an FMU if you want CHEAP . . . that'll take care of your fuel problem even on stock injectors just dont go any higher that 10psi or **** will pop!! lol
Old 11-28-2009, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive got an OG MSD boost timing controller if you need it, so no need for a tuned ECU.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude... why? You're going to buy parts so you can destroy a car that still runs? Then what? Junk it all? The car is free transportation as it is... what a waste of money.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well why not? I build race engines for a living, and I like my 37 mpg dx just fine for the a-b beater that it is but like most crave more power.

That said I have been leaving my street cars stock for so long, and havent had any race cars or project cars of my own in a while to tinker with...

I also own a 90 ex ed that I bought online... Havent laid eyes on it yet its 8 hrs away I know it needs a head gasket and it is already got the 1.6 mpfi.

So why do the mpfi swap on the dx Unless I mini-me/obd1 the ex, that car Im told has a lot less rust.