Notices

Vented hoods, function or form?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 03:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vented hoods, function or form?

Sup guys,

Just lookin to see what people think about vented hoods..... Id really like to lower my underhood temps since the heat really comes thru under the dash when it warms up. Right behind my stereo gets warm etc etc. I cant utilize the A/C since i un-installed it to cool down the cabin. I was thinking of a ViS vented hood, like the invader style (not sure if its the correct name). I dont really like the idea of attracting any more attention but if this would help me out i would consider it.

Im also throwing the idea around of maybe using exhaust wrap on the downpipe and maybe the mani, but i hear mixed things about doing so as far as rust and moisture trapping........

Any thoughts? Is a cf vented hood rice or nice? Exhaust wrap?
Old 06-28-2007, 03:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a vented hood in theory is good. don't know how it is going to affect interior temperatures though.

but a vented hood provides a place for air that passes through the radiator to escape. so it should get rid of some of the hot air in the engine bay.

Whether that will be enough to notice in the cabin, I don't know.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (spets)

ive wondered this same thing myself. im waiting to pop my hood and see the paint burnt above my mani. my only question is what happens when it starts raining and water pours down in their all over the top of an extremely hot turbo and manifold?
Old 06-28-2007, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JSPECSIR)

Wow...holy topic that has been spoken about many, many times batman!!

My first suggestion would be to try this handy RED button up in the corner called SEACH, its helpful, it's not just there for decoration. Don't forget to click on archives to search old topics.

A vented hood (NOT proped up stock hood, NOT a gay *** scoop) a vented hood does wonders for underhood temperatures. WHy do you think all the drifters have hoods like that?

Here is an example that would work good for our cars, the vent is over the intake manifold area.

Modified by mike1114 at 2:56 PM 6/28/2007
Old 06-28-2007, 09:06 AM

that doesnt look to hard to make, cut out a squar in the hood, bend the end of the piece that was cut out weld it back on from the bottom, repaint, and boom your done. correct me if im wrong
Old 06-28-2007, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (powerdbygarrett)

How-to:

http://www.240sx.org/links/installs/hood/hood.htm
Old 06-28-2007, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike1114)

Yuck, fiberglass. Better to just take some sheetmetal and weld it.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike1114)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow...holy topic that has been spoken about many, many times batman!!

My first suggestion would be to try this handy RED button up in the corner called SEACH, its helpful, it's not just there for decoration. Don't forget to click on archives to search old topics.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I appreciate the advice my friend, but i consider myself a veteran on H-T and have used the search function more times than i can count. I have also searched on this subject but didnt find anything exactly as i was looking for. So please dont jump in a respond to me like a nooB.

Thanx for the info, im still looking for ideas as well as what you guys think about header wrap........ ive read mixed reviews and nothing definitive.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slooogsr)

any one have thoughts about rain water pouring in?
Old 06-28-2007, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JSPECSIR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">any one have thoughts about rain water pouring in?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Id imagine you wouldnt want water being poured in at certain parts of the motor, but i dont believe the amount that gets in is anything to worry about.....
Old 06-28-2007, 05:15 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JSPECSIR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">any one have thoughts about rain water pouring in?</TD></TR></TABLE>

First Alert weather radio FTW!!!
Old 06-28-2007, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DfwBB6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DfwBB6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

First Alert weather radio FTW!!!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

lmao....

Sadly, the 2nd most helpful piece of advice in this thread........
Old 06-28-2007, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You just have to think about it, apply a bit of physics. One thing to note is that you shouldn't enter the 'will it flow in or out' debate that always gets brought up. Its the fact that you get more air movement in the engine bay. Either: you have a low-pressure zone in your engine bay and high-pressure area on the hood (FMIC blocking flow, nose displacing air & pushing it above) in which air flows in, or the high-speed air over the hood and enough flow past the rad/fmic is the opposite, flowing air out. Regardless, it pushes that hot air out somewhere.

As for rainwater - how many parts of your engine bay are not water-resistant? All I can name off is the filter. Otherwise its all coated in dielectric grease, sealed with gaskets, or otherwise not effected by water. Regardless, when you drive in rain, the tires splash water in there anyways - take a look next time.

I'd really suggest using header wrap before modding your hood. Its reversable, easy to do, very effective, and doesn't change external looks. If you do go with a vent, I'd suggest doing it like an Evo. Cut up a stock hood so that its flush, not humped like 99.9% of aftermarket vented hoods.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HiProfile)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HiProfile &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You just have to think about it, apply a bit of physics. One thing to note is that you shouldn't enter the 'will it flow in or out' debate that always gets brought up. Its the fact that you get more air movement in the engine bay. Either: you have a low-pressure zone in your engine bay and high-pressure area on the hood (FMIC blocking flow, nose displacing air & pushing it above) in which air flows in, or the high-speed air over the hood and enough flow past the rad/fmic is the opposite, flowing air out. Regardless, it pushes that hot air out somewhere.

As for rainwater - how many parts of your engine bay are not water-resistant? All I can name off is the filter. Otherwise its all coated in dielectric grease, sealed with gaskets, or otherwise not effected by water. Regardless, when you drive in rain, the tires splash water in there anyways - take a look next time.

I'd really suggest using header wrap before modding your hood. Its reversable, easy to do, very effective, and doesn't change external looks. If you do go with a vent, I'd suggest doing it like an Evo. Cut up a stock hood so that its flush, not humped like 99.9% of aftermarket vented hoods.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Awesome, im going to pick up some heat wrap and install it this weekend. I may look into getting a spare hood and doing the diy vent as well. Thanx for the info guys.....
Old 06-30-2007, 03:08 PM

IF you decide to vent the hood, you can check out a stock hood with a vent. Someone here suggested the evo. The 2000 and later model Toyota Celica and MR2 spyder also have vented hoods. There is a tray under the vent to route water away from the exhaust manifold so that water doesn't get on it and rust.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Professor X)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Professor X &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">IF you decide to vent the hood, you can check out a stock hood with a vent. Someone here suggested the evo. The 2000 and later model Toyota Celica and MR2 spyder also have vented hoods. There is a tray under the vent to route water away from the exhaust manifold so that water doesn't get on it and rust.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I will definitely look into this....

I picked up a roll of dei wrap and silicon spray from advance auto today, im going to wrap my mani and dp tomorrow and ill see how i make out.........

I keep reading good and bad regarding heat wrap....... im just gonna give it a shot.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:43 PM
B.
400 HP Club

i've got one on my car and you can def see the heat escaping from the hood!! If you have a big fat turbo noone can call it rice LOL!!
Old 06-30-2007, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vented hoods, function or form? (slooogsr)

I think the vented hood looks kinda ricer. Just to ask a simple question, why dont you just run without a hood? Then see how much lower your temps are. Then decide if you want a vented one.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vented hoods, function or form? (almostboostedgsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by almostboostedgsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think the vented hood looks kinda ricer. Just to ask a simple question, why dont you just run without a hood? Then see how much lower your temps are. Then decide if you want a vented one. </TD></TR></TABLE> i dont really think i want the task of scraping baked on bug guts off of my type r valve cover.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vented hoods, function or form? (JSPECSIR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">MR2 spyder also have vented hoods</TD></TR></TABLE>
hmm.. well the engine is in the rear tho..
Old 07-01-2007, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vented hoods, function or form? (Flashmn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Flashmn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
hmm.. well the engine is in the rear tho..</TD></TR></TABLE>

whats that piece of info mean to us?
Old 07-01-2007, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vented hoods, function or form? (milkmanLCA)

i have a VIS Extreme GT CF hood, and it is vented. there is, however, a cover tha goes under the vents that i put on if it looks like it is gunna rain. also, here is a little science for you...water boils at 212F, what have you touched under your hood after it has been running that is less than that? my guess is nthing, so the little amount of water that may get in there while driving is gunna instantly evaporate if it hits these hot engine parts. you will be safe driving with the vent cover off.

here are some pics of my hood with the vent on and off.

the hood...

cover on...

cover off...
Old 07-01-2007, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vented hoods, function or form? (1995civicEJ)

above is somewhat true. if his manifold is very very hot and is dashed by cold water, it is possible for cracks.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how often have you heated a stainless steel pan to fry some food and put it under cold water? it doesnt crack does it? so how would a manifold? trust me on that i work in a kitchen, and we always put our pans under cold water after using them and heating them way hot. i have never seen one crack or warp or anything. that is also a lesser grade of steel than is used on manifolds.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1995civicEJ)

apples and oranges, i happens

Quick Reply: Vented hoods, function or form?