Notices

VAFC hack vs AEM EMS at 7 PSI...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 03:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default VAFC hack vs AEM EMS at 7 PSI...

hey everybody,
I was just weighing the advantages and disadvantages of a VAFC hack vs an EMS setup. I am looking at cost vs reliability.

I will only be boosting 7 PSI for the first few months or a year, and I dont really want to go overkill on the fuel mgmt. I can try to get all the parts for the hack used to lower the price, but as far as the hack goes what all would I need? Also I want to get a wideband O2 sensor kit, what do you all recommend? I have heard some good things about the FJO.

VAFC hack:
-Apexi VAFC
-J&S Ultra Safeguard V2
-DSM 450s (what do I have to do to get them to fit?)

with the hack, how long would the stock fuel pump last? what about the FPR? anything else that I need to upgrade to make the hack work?

Also can I get the DSM 450's from a Mitsubishi dealership (instead of a junk yard)? these are the injectors out of the Eclipse GST/GSX right? do they come from a specific year/gen Eclipse?

AEM EMS:
-EMS
-harness???
-injectors? will DSM 450's work?
-AEM FPR
-AEM fuel rail
-Walbro 255lph

I wont need a J&S with this setup right? at 7-8 PSI is there anything else I need or dont need on this list?

TIA

Old 12-20-2002, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: VAFC hack vs AEM EMS at 7 PSI... (BlueShadow)

I'd just go with the AFC hack, since not only will it cost less initially, but you won't have to spend your money getting it tuned, before you turn up the boost and it's all wasted.

yes, you can get the injectors from the mistu dealership, but it would probably be cheaper to buy used ones and have them rebuilt and they will be like-new. I believe they are from the 2nd gen MANUAL TURBO cars, the automatics have 390cc's...
Old 12-20-2002, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I will only be boosting 7 PSI for the first few months or a year
I, like alot of others say the same thing. Believe, Boost IS addicting. I vote go AEM or some REAL management, the hack will run you about 1/2 - 2/3 the price of a Hondata or AEM device anyway. At least you will have the ability for your setup to grow. Plus if you ever decide to sell it, the demand for these units remain good enough for a GREAT resale price. GL.
Old 12-20-2002, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VAFC hack vs AEM EMS at 7 PSI... (integracon)

I will only be boosting 7 PSI for the first few months or a year

I, like alot of others say the same thing. Believe, Boost IS addicting. I vote go AEM or some REAL management, the hack will run you about 1/2 - 2/3 the price of a Hondata or AEM device anyway. At least you will have the ability for your setup to grow. Plus if you ever decide to sell it, the demand for these units remain good enough for a GREAT resale price. GL.
I agree, in the long run your gonna save getting the AEM.

but... then again, you would need a wideband to tune AEM, which cost another 300+.

[Modified by biassj, 9:47 AM 12/20/2002]
Old 12-20-2002, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VAFC hack vs AEM EMS at 7 PSI... (integracon)

As far as the hack goes I want to know if it can be done with my stock fuel pump and FPR. I dont like the idea of a driving around in an untuned car though, but chances are if I cant find a good AEM tuner in the Sacramento or Bay area I'll be driving around my EMS managed car untuned as well.

Also the DSM 450's are peak and hold right? if they are I guess that means I have to wire in some resistors too. What resistors would you guys recommend for my setup? should I get resistors from a DSM, Civic/Teg or the 4th Gen Ludes? (I have a 5th Gen).

Also what's a decent price for some used DSM 450's? and what can I expect to pay for some 450's at a dealer? Also I'm assuming the AEM EMS has saturated drivers (correct me if I'm wrong), So if in fact the 450's are peak and hold, I'll also need to wire in some resistors to get the 450's to work with the EMS.

I think that the price for the EMS is pretty decent ($1300), but I could probably get a used one for $800. But I am just worried about not having any local tuners nearby (Sacramento/San Francisco) that will be able to help me tune it. The EMS requires a laptop, but I already have one, andI suppose I could borrow some maps from other EMS users with similar mods as me.

[Modified by BlueShadow, 7:46 AM 12/20/2002]
Old 12-20-2002, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can get a AEM, or a Hondata. There a lot more hondata tuners out there(i think).

Old 12-20-2002, 06:58 AM

Get the aem, once you boost at seven psi you will want to boost more, and while you are at it get bigger injectors so later on you dont have to worry about upgrading them, and trying tuning it youself if you can you have to learn sometime, by the way what shop are you affilated with in sac, i live in yuba city but go to collage their every day.

[Modified by therumblingteg, 4:01 PM 12/20/2002]
Old 12-20-2002, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VAFC hack vs AEM EMS at 7 PSI... (biassj)

You can get a AEM, or a Hondata. There a lot more hondata tuners out there(i think).
I haven't read up on Hondata for a long time, but since I have an OBD 2 car I would require a OBD 2 to OBD 1 swap. I know how to do the swap, but I dont want to...the last time I calculated the costs of doing the swap and getting a Hondata 3B it came out about $500 more than what the AEM ocsts.

All my Hondata info/knowledge is outdated about 18 months so I dont really know what all has changed.
Old 12-20-2002, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VAFC hack vs AEM EMS at 7 PSI... (therumblingteg)

Get the aem, I dont know you but once you boost at seven psi you will want to boost more, and while you are at it get bigger injectors so later on you dont have to worry about upgrading them, and trying tuning it youself if you can you have to learn sometime, by the way what shop are you affilated with in sac, i live in yuba city but go to collage their every day.
well, I definately will not go over 9 PSI...I do not want to risk damaging my internals (Ludes have weak ringlands).

I did a lot of studying on the Apexi PFC for RX7s even though I didn't own one, and if the learning curves are similar I think I can learn how to use the EMS well enough.

BTW I am not affiliated with any shop in Sac, but I would like to know about any good dyno tuners in the area if you know about them.

TIA
Old 12-20-2002, 07:07 AM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts

AEM EMS:
-EMS - yes you need this
-harness??? - NO
-injectors? will DSM 450's work? - YES, with resistor box (contact Sonny)
-AEM FPR - NO
-AEM fuel rail - NO
-Walbro 255lph - probly NO for 7psi, but get it anyway for future plans
Old 12-20-2002, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alot of people seem to be running the hack on stock Fuel pump/regulator- with the 450's at stock fuel pressure, it's apparently okay. The DSM's are P/H, so yes you will need a resistor pack. As far as local tuners, call Dyno Spot Racing in San Jose, they apparently are the most reputable tuners in the area.
Old 12-20-2002, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VAFC hack vs AEM EMS at 7 PSI... (falc0n)

AEM EMS:
-AEM FPR - NO
-AEM fuel rail - NO
-Walbro 255lph - probly NO for 7psi, but get it anyway for future plans
That's good news, if I dont need those or the harness for only 7 PSI I will be able to save some money, I will eventually get them in the future though.

But just to be safe say I run 7 PSI daily but on some occasions it spikes to 9 PSI, would I still be fine with the stock fuel?

I forgot about the unwritten rule of making your setup so that it can handle a few psi above your desired goal. So in my case that would be 7 PSI but 9 PSI just in case it spikes.
Old 12-20-2002, 09:39 AM

You should be able to get DSM 450's for at the most $50, if not free. A lot of my friends are into DSM's and they have a ton of 450's sitting around doing nothing.
Old 12-20-2002, 09:56 AM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts

i have aem ems with 310cc injectors and i spiked to 11psi and it dumped fuel just fine. this was not at redline though, i would have definitely run out of injector duty cycle up there. 450s will be better. running the calculations on http://www.rceng.com shows that 550s seem to be ideal for stcok fuel pressures for running 15psi or more.