Notices

Using a block that was f/I as a n/a block ...........

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using a block that was f/I as a n/a block ...........

I'll explain:
*Had a gsr head rebuilt
*Put b16a in shop to have crank knife edged, block guard fitted in, forged rod fitted to piston, rotating assembly balanced, new rings fitted, Apr rod studs fitted the whole nine.
*blew b18b need car asap can't wait on block so I bought a gsr block for $500 that was used with a jrsc to keep me on the road.

Problem: smokes like a train only when I get on it is; racing, burn outs, ya know fun times. If I drive it like I have sense it will not burn oil or smoke.
I know its the rings, but also heard that if I boost it again I'll seat the ring better cuz of the add pressure.

Now for the queuing in please were techs here let's talk like it.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:26 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Using a block that was f/I as a n/a block ...........

Once the engine is broken in, you aren't going to "seat the rings better". That's just silly talk.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So in your opinion it a rebuild for the gsr
Old 07-03-2015, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump
Old 07-03-2015, 06:12 PM

Was the first answer not good enough for you, or do you need it spelled out for you?

The engine needs a rebuild. Period. End of.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
Was the first answer not good enough for you, or do you need it spelled out for you?

The engine needs a rebuild. Period. End of.
Dick I was asking opinions it was a simple yes or no
Old 07-06-2015, 03:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He told you to fix the engine.

There's no other way to explain it.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcnxero
I'll explain:
*Had a gsr head rebuilt
*Put b16a in shop to have crank knife edged, block guard fitted in, forged rod fitted to piston, rotating assembly balanced, new rings fitted, Apr rod studs fitted the whole nine.
*blew b18b need car asap can't wait on block so I bought a gsr block for $500 that was used with a jrsc to keep me on the road.

Problem: smokes like a train only when I get on it is; racing, burn outs, ya know fun times. If I drive it like I have sense it will not burn oil or smoke.
I know its the rings, but also heard that if I boost it again I'll seat the ring better cuz of the add pressure.

So you can just skip the first 2 bullets because they arent even relevant.

It doesnt work that way. Rings "seat" within the first 10-15 miles of an engines life. Adding boost to the mix is just going to make it even worse. The engine needs a rebuild.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:47 AM

Dick I was asking opinions it was a simple yes or no
Yes, it was a simple yes or no. Not something that is opinion-based. You got your answer. No. Don't bump your thread just because you don't like the answer.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No im not mad, guess ya can't read but in the case of building a turbo you do have more pressure forced in the combustion chamber yes that's a "duh" given. Ring are also gaped differently cause of that, so if you have a turboed motor then delete turbo what you think happens? Me personally already said I have a b16a being built so I know the ramifications of that and yes it will smoke do tho the lack of that extra force and heat( 18.16:1 f/I ) to(10.2:1 n/a) the rings may not be expanding properly, but I got the gsr for $500 it makes no different. I'm not a new-b or dummy any one ever thought of that or are we still asleep. Or maybe we never took the time to look into a proper rebuild. Now let the "I have done this and the I have done that's" begin!

And I know what most of ya are think "you got a gsr for $500 you deserve what you get" but when you're a mechanic you get thing for dirt cheap cuz of all those idiots that know everything.

Last edited by Dcnxero; 07-06-2015 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No im not mad, guess ya can't read but in the case of building a turbo you do have more pressure forced in the combustion chamber yes that's a "duh" given. Ring are also gaped differently cause of that, so if you have a turboed motor then delete turbo what you think happens? Me personally already said I have a b16a being built so I know the ramifications of that and yes it will smoke do tho the lack of that extra force and heat( 18.16:1 f/I ) to(10.2:1 n/a) the rings may not be expanding properly, but I got the gsr for $500 it makes no different. I'm not a new-b or dummy any one ever thought of that or are we still asleep. Or maybe we never took the time to look into a proper rebuild. Now let the "I have done this and the I have done that's" begin!

And I know what most of ya are think "you got a gsr for $500 you deserve what you get" but when you're a mechanic you get thing for dirt cheap cuz of all those idiots that know everything.
Well you need to do more reading because you clearly dont understand how an engine works. Despite the feed back we're giving you, it sounds like you have your mind made up and are going to do it anyway.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A blue printed turbo block will have more clearances overall to compensate the for the metal expansion due to the extra heat. Therefore running it in a N/A for can make it smoke.

A N/A block has tighter clearances compared to a Turbo block
Old 07-07-2015, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No im not mad, guess ya can't read...
I stopped reading at this point.

Other well-educated members have given you the solution to your problem, yet you still seem determined to do what you want.

Good luck in your build.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Pippen_001
A blue printed turbo block will have more clearances overall to compensate the for the metal expansion due to the extra heat. Therefore running it in a N/A for can make it smoke.

A N/A block has tighter clearances compared to a Turbo block
No. Rings dont just cause smoke when the car is not in boost. Chances are the motor was broken in N/A anyway.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:04 AM
Man U FTW

Yes, there is more ring end-gap in an turbo engine and there is typically a bit more P2W clearance as well (depending on fuel, piston composition, etc) , but not enough of either to make any appreciable difference in whether or not the rings seat.

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Chances are the motor was broken in N/A anyway.
^^ This.

Break it in on boost and you risk washing out the rings if the tune isn't correct. Probably what happened in the first place with the JRSC setup - most likely on a crap tune or FMU that washed out the rings before they could seat properly.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Omg I think out of all the replies only 2 people get what I'm trying to say (thank you pippen_001 and schister 66) everyone else seemed to be a lil on the special side(short bus) I like to here more from those two.

And vegass10 why even waiste your time typing if you ain't reading seem to me you like to waiste time so you probly are the type of guy that waiste money on dress ups for your car like stickers and hot air intakes( those AZ spectra intakes) and the other ain't saying much on the subject just chiming in with un-educated banter heck I don't think they even read the title just closedctheir eyes and clicked scrolled down and read the last statement and wrote their .02¢.

lightning teg if you had all the b series blocks from b16a to b20z4 minus the rare b17 and one is being built for turbo why wouldn't I have a lil fun with this block wat's the worst that can happen (BOOM!!!!! I drop in another motor) smh

Like I said just wanted opinions cuz I show the guys at my shop this thread and we discuss wat is said here. Figured HT was a good place to find other opinions on the subject.

And for all who says n\a motors and f\i motors run the same explain to me why some turbo motor need warm up time before driving or it can knock or burn more oil. Is it cuz of the expansion of the piston and rings or just a bad tune. <----------being very facetious. Please don't answer you'll only seem stupid.
!!!!!!!!!!!!NOW LOOK AT YOUR SHOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-07-2015, 11:44 AM
Man U FTW

^^ That's not a great strategy for making friends around here...nor is it a good strategy for keeping your threads open. I'll expect your next reply to be more mature.

Also, if you could read between the lines, NotARacist gave you the answer you needed right away. Nobody debated that boost increases cylinder pressure - we all know that it does...they were pointing out that adding boost so long after break-in will have zero effect, and they're right. There is no re-seating the rings or seating them better with boost - that is just nonsense.

Solution: Re-hone cylinders and re-ring pistons ... that's it and that's all
Old 07-07-2015, 12:15 PM

Old 07-07-2015, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK let's all go back to the beginning nowhere did I even ask to be told what to do in my first post.
Second I only was asking for a simple "rebuild" or "blow it up"
Third, which I'm not going to cut paste and copy all the comment, there was a debate about piston and ring expansion
Fourth I care not bout friends, they don't pay the bills. With all due respect for all that chimed in if any of them died I wouldn't shed a tear let alone know.
Fith go back and read some of the comments you'd see that I didn't get stupid or rude until racist started. Sixth I clearly stated that I have something already being whipped up for turbo.
So in lue of my thread why wouldn't you say "hey he seemed to be having a discussion about something why are ya getting rude with him" but I bet it's because no one took the time to read the title and first post. After that I was only stating the obvious. And if anyone was offended by my comments, well a lil thick skin can go along way or maybe we could try to read and comprehend a lil better before we make a comment (and I'm not talking bout you just saying it in general) and for all you or I know it could be how this motor was abused before I got it. My compression was solid across the board my leak down test was less than 20% so it could very well be wat pippen_001 said not enough static comp to expand everything so I get a whole lot of blow by. But then that would make all comments un-educated cuz that info was not disclosed and no one had the common sense to ask those questions. Now is that more mature for you.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK let's all go back to the beginning nowhere did I even ask to be told what to do in my first post.
Second I only was asking for a simple "rebuild" or "blow it up"
Third, which I'm not going to cut paste and copy all the comment, there was a debate about piston and ring expansion
Fourth I care not bout friends, they don't pay the bills. With all due respect for all that chimed in if any of them died I wouldn't shed a tear let alone know.
Fith go back and read some of the comments you'd see that I didn't get stupid or rude until racist started. Sixth I clearly stated that I have something already being whipped up for turbo.
So in lue of my thread why wouldn't you say "hey he seemed to be having a discussion about something why are ya getting rude with him" but I bet it's because no one took the time to read the title and first post. After that I was only stating the obvious. And if anyone was offended by my comments, well a lil thick skin can go along way or maybe we could try to read and comprehend a lil better before we make a comment (and I'm not talking bout you just saying it in general) and for all you or I know it could be how this motor was abused before I got it. My compression was solid across the board my leak down test was less than 20% so it could very well be wat pippen_001 said not enough effective comp to expand everything so I get a whole lot of blow by. But then that would make all comments un-educated cuz that info was not disclosed and no one had the common sense to ask those questions. Now is that more mature for you.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:37 PM

No one took the time to read your abortion of a post because it's ******* painful to read. Your sentence structure is ****. You were given your answer, and decided to bump your thread, with nothing more than "bump", after your question was directly answered. Once you do that, it becomes a free-for-all on you. There are no variables to discuss here. The engine is done. Period. End of sentence. Hard stop. There was nothing that needed to be said after the very first response to your thread.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Once again racist you amaze me with how blind you can be. I bumped the thread due to the fact that 5 days went by with no new post between my post and the bump. Just look at the dates.
Second why are you even still here typing if it so horrible for you. Maybe you just like being a dick.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:23 AM

There were no new posts because your question was answered. You really don't understand how forums work, do you?
Old 07-08-2015, 03:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Omg I think out of all the replies only 2 people get what I'm trying to say (thank you pippen_001 and schister 66) everyone else seemed to be a lil on the special side(short bus) I like to here more from those two.

lightning teg if you had all the b series blocks from b16a to b20z4 minus the rare b17 and one is being built for turbo why wouldn't I have a lil fun with this block wat's the worst that can happen (BOOM!!!!! I drop in another motor) smh

Like I said just wanted opinions cuz I show the guys at my shop this thread and we discuss wat is said here. Figured HT was a good place to find other opinions on the subject.
I'll explain:
*Had a gsr head rebuilt

I dont even see a question in your original post. So we assumed what you were talking about, were correct, gave you a response, you didnt like it and kept bumping the thread for more. Sound about right?
Old 07-08-2015, 03:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Uh maybe I thought fourms were for discussions or was I wrong. And yet even when I keep looking back I still don't see were I asked a question. Just wanted to have a discussion. So if you don't have any more input on this discussion why don't you go the for sale listing and look at the thread on the "hondata s300 v2 for sale" and find out why jaivan won't reply to me when I'm asking to buy what hep posted to sale, HT police.

And lightning you are starting to see the light, I wanted the discussion not the "do this" and "do that"

Quick Reply: Using a block that was f/I as a n/a block ...........