Notices

unplugging the afc. converting back 2 NA w/o problems?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default unplugging the afc. converting back 2 NA w/o problems?

Hi.
well after a month of boosting my seals gave out.

Im converting back to NA but i have some questions

what scares me is the fuel setup and the removal of the afc.
could I simply unplug the afc, put the stock injectors back in and run my car w/o problems just running my b&m fpr and vortech fmu?

I know the afc modifies signals b4 it is sent to the ecu and i know that the wires that were spliced have to be reconected so if i reconnect the wires and disable the afc will my ecu have any problems?

this is not the end. probably the beginning. i plan on upgrading the turbo and putting it bakc on but i need my daily driver so i still need my car to run.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: unplugging the afc. converting back 2 NA w/o problems? (lsVtec...)

That's why the AFC harness uses pigtails for the wires that you actually have to intercept. All you have to do is uplug the AFC from this wire (your MAP signal wire) and you can leave the rest of the AFC harness in place.

Hell, you can even leave the AFC and the larger injectors in place and tune the N/A engine with it, or put the stock injectors back in and set the fuel correction to ±0%.
Old 08-15-2004, 03:00 PM

Default Re: unplugging the afc. converting back 2 NA w/o problems? (beepy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beepy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That's why the AFC harness uses pigtails for the wires that you actually have to intercept. All you have to do is uplug the AFC from this wire (your MAP signal wire) and you can leave the rest of the AFC harness in place.

Hell, you can even leave the AFC and the larger injectors in place and tune the N/A engine with it, or put the stock injectors back in and set the fuel correction to ±0%.</TD></TR></TABLE>

good shiet.. so just unplug the map signal wire and its all good? would leaving the 370cc rc injectors in because i think i lost my stock injectors
Old 08-15-2004, 04:32 PM

Default Re: unplugging the afc. converting back 2 NA w/o problems? (lsVtec...)

Uh, no. if you unplug the AFC and leave those big injectors in the car, it will be so rich that it won't even start.

Either unplug the AFC and put in stock injectors, or tune the car as-is.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:41 PM

ok i now put stock header back on put stock injectors, took out the fmu, and retapped the spliced signal wire to the afc.

I started up the car and the damn thing sounded like a v8 w/ no headers and started smoking from i dont know where because it was dark and a cel came on.

so i went ahead and plugged the afc back in and the cel didnt come on any more but still smoked and sounded like a v8.

so any ideas whats happening here?
Old 08-15-2004, 09:59 PM

Default Re: (lsVtec...)

Did you put the exhaust back on? Properly? Remember that your turbo exhaust is MUCH less restrictive than an N/A engine will like, and will be loud without that turbine blade to stop the sound. Do you have a catalytic convertor? Did you plug the nipple in the oil pan for the turbo's drain? Did you remove the take-off for the oil feed and return the oil pressure sensor to stock? Whatever the problem it isn't the hack's fault.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:23 PM

Default Re: (beepy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beepy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Did you put the exhaust back on? Properly? Remember that your turbo exhaust is MUCH less restrictive than an N/A engine will like, and will be loud without that turbine blade to stop the sound. Do you have a catalytic convertor? Did you plug the nipple in the oil pan for the turbo's drain? Did you remove the take-off for the oil feed and return the oil pressure sensor to stock? Whatever the problem it isn't the hack's fault.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the exhaust is a 2.25"trust bpipe, stock cat, apex n1 exhaust. I pluged the oil feed and the return lines. timing is adjusted automatically by the afc right so it shouldnt be manually advanced wen the car was tuned?