Notices

uberdata willem burner....Hardware error...anybody else have this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default uberdata willem burner....Hardware error...anybody else have this problem?

Everytime I try to do anything I get a message at the bottom of the window that says "hardware error:check power and connection"

I am having a hard time understanding what all I am supposed to do as far as jumpers and such. There basically are no instructions with this thing.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:25 PM
New User

Default Re: uberdata willem burner....Hardware error...anybody else have this problem? (hoggy)

I heard there was a lot of errors with the Willems burner. there was a thread on another forum about it. i will try and find it.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:58 PM

Default Re: uberdata willem burner....Hardware error...anybody else have this problem? (Peter K)

I have been doing some reading and have read that all 3 lights should be on. Only the green light is on for me. Could this mean I have the wrong cable or my cable is bad?
Old 10-15-2003, 11:07 PM

Default Re: uberdata willem burner....Hardware error...anybody else have this problem? (hoggy)

make sure its the right cable. i went out and bought what i thought was hte right cable and it wasnt it. it fit right but wouldnt transfer. found some old tabel around the house and it worked.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:12 PM

Default Re: uberdata willem burner....Hardware error...anybody else have this problem? (94goldjungsr)

yeah, there is a standard printer cable, and then a straight-through cable, you need the straight through cable, per r6elmo, who is having problems with his

-PHiZ
Old 10-16-2003, 04:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have actually been using the cable that came with my External ZIP drive and it works.
Are you burning 29c256 chips?
Long DIP switches: 5, 6, 9, 11 should be "on"
Short DIP that have 4 switches should all be "On"
Power is 12V @800ma
Try all those. It is a connection problem you are having right now, ie the comp isnt connected to the burner.

Hope this helps. Im me if you need any more info
Old 10-16-2003, 05:30 AM

Default Re: uberdata willem burner....Hardware error...anybody else have this problem? (PHiZ)

I am having the problems. I am using a Belkin "direct cable connection Pc to pc file transfer db25 male/male parallel" with a male to female adapter. I couldn't find a manle to female db25.
Old 10-16-2003, 10:11 AM

Default Re: (T-RO)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by T-RO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Power is 12V @800ma
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is that the spec for the chip? I thought I heard that the power supply for the burner itself is 18v @ whatever amps. I also heard it's semi picky about this.

-PHiZ
Old 10-16-2003, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PHiZ)

I'm not having hardware errors on mine, but more like write errors. I'm goign to send my unit back to the ebay seller and hopefully it was just a solder error. Until then, i'm using this professional $$$ burner

Danny
Old 10-16-2003, 11:23 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hoggy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am having the problems. I am using a Belkin "direct cable connection Pc to pc file transfer db25 male/male parallel" with a male to female adapter. I couldn't find a manle to female db25.</TD></TR></TABLE>
That one won't work, it's a crossover and doesn't even have all 25 pins connected. I know because I was trying to use the same one. Ended up just chopping it up and running the wires properly. Still can't get it to work (Batronix, not Willem) though
Old 10-16-2003, 11:28 AM

Default Re: uberdata willem burner....Hardware error...anybody else have this problem? (turbohappy)

the powersupply for my batronix is 15v i believe

sam
Old 10-16-2003, 11:58 AM

Default Re: uberdata willem burner....Hardware error...anybody else have this problem? (94goldjungsr)

Too many ppl are having problems with the willem. I think as a whole we should reccomend ppl not invest in it.

I just spent 15minutes trying to track down the proper power supply voltage, admittedly I'm lame, but I couldn't find an authoritive answer.

For the 150 bucks, I'm almost going to reccomend ppl buy the pocket programmer, goldjunggsr, wanna start a thread, just for burner discussion? I think it'd be cool...

-PHiZ
Old 10-16-2003, 12:26 PM

Default Re: uberdata willem burner....Hardware error...anybody else have this problem? (turbohappy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbohappy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
That one won't work, it's a crossover and doesn't even have all 25 pins connected. I know because I was trying to use the same one. Ended up just chopping it up and running the wires properly. Still can't get it to work (Batronix, not Willem) though </TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you still get the errors? What problems are you having now. I was just thinking about hacking my cable since it was only a dollar.

Can someone please post the correct cable to buy and where to get it???
Old 10-16-2003, 01:11 PM

i dont undrestand why people **** around with unproven burners. just get the batronix and prog studio and call it a day... the prog studio software puts the pocket programmer software to shame, and its a smaller device as well and I have never had ANY problems

sam
Old 10-16-2003, 01:59 PM

I was going to get the batronix burner till someone kept telling everyone to just get the willems because it was cheap and worked great. I wish whoever said that would help me out now.
Old 10-16-2003, 04:36 PM

to the top
Old 10-16-2003, 04:54 PM

I am using a Willem that I got of ebay, works great, I am using a 12v 300mA power supply and a stait thru db25 male to female from my scanner, burning at29c256 haven't had any problems although the soldering looks questionable.
make sure that the male-female adapter is not crossing a crossover, like a null modem.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: uberdata willem burner....Hardware error...anybody else have this problem? (PHiZ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PHiZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Too many ppl are having problems with the willem. I think as a whole we should reccomend ppl not invest in it.
-PHiZ</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry I disagree. I paid $63 shipped for my Willems with a ZIF socket and it works fine for me. Mabye I got one assembled by a pro, mabye someone else got one assembled by a noob. I can vouch for the seller I got mine from (off ebay).

Like I said before I use 12v @ 800mah because thats what they recommended on the Willems forum.
I am using the cable from my ZIP drive because its the only one I had lying around with the correct male/female ends on it. I dont know the "specs" on the cable.

Try http://www.willem.org/ and see if you can find more info for your problem there. I dont know too much about the cable situation, sorry.
Good luck
Old 10-16-2003, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: uberdata willem burner....Hardware error...anybody else have this problem? (T-RO)

I got the same Willem one recently, works pretty fast. No probs. It also came with ZIF socket, and power supply, and cable. Great deal.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:38 PM

Default Re: uberdata willem burner....Hardware error...anybody else have this problem? (SOUNDEFFECTS)

I've had one that worked too, after some hacking (well, blundar's hacking).

But it seems they're really 50-50 weather or not they work, and for the new guys, I think maybe it's better if they steer clear.

If you don't mind hax0ring up the board, then it is still a decent price.

Also are ALL you guys using the 29c256' cause it seems that causes the most problems.

-PHiZ
Old 10-16-2003, 11:46 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hoggy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Do you still get the errors? What problems are you having now. I was just thinking about hacking my cable since it was only a dollar.

Can someone please post the correct cable to buy and where to get it???</TD></TR></TABLE>
My cable's fine, but I think something is wrong with the board. Help from batronix has been slow and less than helpful I may just have to buy another burner
Old 10-17-2003, 04:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, I have only used AT29c256 so far. If you send me some other chips i'll try those... lol
Old 11-18-2003, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im having some problems with mine as well.......im waiting for a reply from the guy i bought it off to see if he will take it back and check it over.........

what a pain in the ***.....

im having problems with 27c256 and 29c256 chips............
Old 11-22-2003, 12:10 AM

Default Re: uberdata willem burner....Hardware error...anybody else have this problem? (non-VTEC)

I've had no problems at all with my Willem burner. I got mine from ebay also, username: (dan.j.m) dan@matan.ca
I used my friends old external cd burner cable and it works perfect.
Heres a pic:

I totally recommend this guys burner, he's pro.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: uberdata willem burner....Hardware error...anybody else have this problem? (phresh_5)

Yep phresh, I have the same one... from dan_j_m also. It's worked perfectly from day 1, zero problems burning Atmel 29c256 chips. I soldered the jumper wire in place so I wouldn't have to fiddle with it every time, though.