Notices

TurboLScrx - Making my return to the fold

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts
Default Re: TurboLScrx - Making my return to the fold

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Well. There you have it. If this is drag race purpose, that changes a few points in my book. But that wasn't made that clearly in the beginning (or i just missed it around all the photos, which happens on occasion ), as you're still trying to drive on the street... not an easy task in and of itself.

But as you progress, if i make any further comments, the prize you've now stated is being kept in mind, so you shouldn't seer too much additional disparity.
Old 03-02-2019, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am open for suggestions on a issue I’m having, when vtec tries to engage the motor just goes into a fast stutter and never recovers until I let off the throttle..... which I do immediately of course. I’ve went through almost everything , including pulling my distributor apart and redoing all connections and wiring, and adding more than enough fuel for the vtec engagement. Everything I’ve done has not changed the results, I’m starting to think I might have a bad ECU since about 5% of the time vtec will actually engage. It almost sound like distributor cross fire. Frustrating

My oil oil pressure is above 60psi
my temp is above the required threshold for engaging
‘I installed all New vtec gaskets including the center cam girdle o ring and dial
I’ve verified all plugs are correct
software says vtec is engaging
Old 03-02-2019, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts

Try changing the engagement point? **possible** cam issue? How's the ignition timing during VTEC?
if the solenoid weren't engaging, it wouldn't register in Hondata. Maybe mechanical engagement? Something not working mechanically; rockers not locking, lock pin missing, etc.. How about just shitty ignition strength? Getting spark but, maybe not GOOD spark.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Txdragon
Try changing the engagement point? **possible** cam issue? How's the ignition timing during VTEC?
if the solenoid weren't engaging, it wouldn't register in Hondata. Maybe mechanical engagement? Something not working mechanically; rockers not locking, lock pin missing, etc.. How about just shitty ignition strength? Getting spark but, maybe not GOOD spark.
tomorrow I’m going to remove the vtec solenoid and make sure it’s clean and also manually test it and make sure it will trigger when power is applied. It’s acting like the fuel and timing gets adjusted but the cams never lock, but since the car has engaged probably before I’m ruling out the rockers as the issue more than likely
Old 03-02-2019, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I did a half assed video review for those that don’t want to back track through this whole thread. I’m not the best at speaking so overlook my poor choices of words

Old 03-04-2019, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like my buddy might have found my stuttering/shutdown problem. With the higher compression and large cams, come to find out I’m maxing my injectors out way early. I wasn’t even considering that since I’m 4psi lower on my boost levels and had a little more duty cycle to go before I pulled the motor. At 6000rpms my graph showed I hit 99% duty cycle and that’s when I hit the wall. My A/F was fine right up to that moment. I have a set of 2200cc injectors that should be here tomorrow and that should change everything. I disengaged vtec and found out the vtec had no bearing on the problem and sent my data logs to my buddy, he found it pretty quick thankfully, I should know for sure over the next few days if I don’t freeze first trying to do the installation
Old 03-04-2019, 06:30 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

I love that you've had the car since 1996. I bought my '97 Integra in July of 1997. Glad to see a fellow "Single owner"..
Old 03-04-2019, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
I love that you've had the car since 1996. I bought my '97 Integra in July of 1997. Glad to see a fellow "Single owner"..
I’ve always loved this car, there is just something about it. I’ve bought and fixed up and sold multiple civic’s and CRX’s but this was my first Honda and the car that I learned everything on
Old 03-04-2019, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good catch! It seemed fuel/tune related, but that just wasnt sitting right because it's already got some larger injectors. I also spaced you're running E85. Lol
Old 03-04-2019, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good catch! It seemed fuel/tune related, but that just wasnt sitting right because it's already got some larger injectors. I also spaced you're running E85. Lol
I only switched to e85 today which increased the problem. I did a short tune on E85 so the swap over to the large injectors would be easier...... corn sure smells funny lol. But the car running out of fuel tells me the car is making more power already.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turboLScrx

I only switched to e85 today which increased the problem. I did a short tune on E85 so the swap over to the large injectors would be easier...... corn sure smells funny lol. But the car running out of fuel tells me the car is making more power already.
Oh damn.. Thought it was powered by mash already. Whatcha doing with the ones you're swapping out?
Old 03-05-2019, 03:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh damn.. Thought it was powered by mash already. Whatcha doing with the ones you're swapping out?
not sure yet, I’ve got a bad habit of keeping parts for spares
Old 03-05-2019, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dude amazing work! It sounds like you just need a solid tune then just enjoy this bad boy! You guys have me motivated just got a new clutch on the way for my car to get out and rip around and build my extra motor!
Old 03-05-2019, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

not sure yet, I’ve got a bad habit of keeping parts for spares
D'oh!!! It's a bit exciting now to say that my limiting factor for 500 hp will be injectors. Giggity!!!
Old 03-05-2019, 08:24 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

D'oh!!! It's a bit exciting now to say that my limiting factor for 500 hp will be injectors. Giggity!!!
It's tough to sit back and watch you guys be so close and feel like I'm so far!
Old 03-05-2019, 08:49 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Looks like my buddy might have found my stuttering/shutdown problem. With the higher compression and large cams, come to find out I’m maxing my injectors out way early. I wasn’t even considering that since I’m 4psi lower on my boost levels and had a little more duty cycle to go before I pulled the motor. At 6000rpms my graph showed I hit 99% duty cycle and that’s when I hit the wall. My A/F was fine right up to that moment. I have a set of 2200cc injectors that should be here tomorrow and that should change everything. I disengaged vtec and found out the vtec had no bearing on the problem and sent my data logs to my buddy, he found it pretty quick thankfully, I should know for sure over the next few days if I don’t freeze first trying to do the installation

Eesh! You must have gotten lucky that it didn't just go lean enough to detonate. Instead it went lean so fast it got to the point of misfiring before it self destructed

Never seen that before. I suppose the E85 helped quite a bit in that situation, plus you were right in the area that your injector pulse was probably ramping up very quickly. I've ran my 1000cc's at 100% many times, but that usually didn't occur until over 7000rpm so it would just lean out slightly before limiter.

What 2200's did you go with?
Old 03-05-2019, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

99% IDC at at 6k would of had me shitting bricks even after the fact. Glad your buddy caught it.

What size injectors did you run before the upgrade?
Old 03-05-2019, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm optimistically hanging on to the injectors being the problem. Everything in his datalog was looking perfect up until he got to just over 6k. You could see the injector duty cycle and the map pressure curve ramp up almost identically. At around 6250 RPM, the injectors were at 99%. TurboLS was smart enough to let out as soon as it happened. You could see all the graphs immediately drop as soon as he hit the stutter where he let out. Smart move on his part. Nothing else in the logs showed any issue at all. So, again, I'm hoping this is really all it is.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by solo227
99% IDC at at 6k would of had me shitting bricks even after the fact. Glad your buddy caught it.

What size injectors did you run before the upgrade?
I’ve been running 450cc injectors for a long time, I thought I would be fine with them for my basic tuning to build some maps since I only had a 7 pound wastegate spring installed. I never guessed the higher compression and the aggressive cams would add that much fuel to be able to make the injectors run out that quick. The graph don’t lie and I’m glad b18apwr knows his stuff, my new injectors was supposed to be here Saturday but the winter storms have delayed them until tomorrow or Thursday. The tuning charts showed the injector peaking out around 80% but the data log said otherwise
Old 03-05-2019, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by b18apwr
I'm optimistically hanging on to the injectors being the problem. Everything in his datalog was looking perfect up until he got to just over 6k. You could see the injector duty cycle and the map pressure curve ramp up almost identically. At around 6250 RPM, the injectors were at 99%. TurboLS was smart enough to let out as soon as it happened. You could see all the graphs immediately drop as soon as he hit the stutter where he let out. Smart move on his part. Nothing else in the logs showed any issue at all. So, again, I'm hoping this is really all it is.
Just now seeing that they were ONLY 450s on the current setup, I'm gonna stamp an "I approve of this diagnosis" on here.. I seriously thought they were higher.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:57 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm gonna say E85 played a big part in it... 450's will not get you very far at all! Probably like 250ish whp. max. That combined with a cooler intake charge or other changes in atmospheric conditions probably pushed it over the edge more quickly than changes to the engine.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Question on the tuning side, regarding injector duty cycle..
let's use mine for example.. At base pressure, they are 750cc. Base pressure raised to 58psi, they will flow 883cc. Now let's say they're maxed at 90% DC at base pressure.. If the pressure is raised and more fuel is delivered, would that decrease the DC?
Old 03-05-2019, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Question on the tuning side, regarding injector duty cycle..
let's use mine for example.. At base pressure, they are 750cc. Base pressure raised to 58psi, they will flow 883cc. Now let's say they're maxed at 90% DC at base pressure.. If the pressure is raised and more fuel is delivered, would that decrease the DC?
yes, you would need to decrease the fuel map since the injector would be flowing more fuel per cycle due to higher pressure. The thing you need to be careful with is some injectors don’t like going above certain levels without losing its ability to atomize the fuel properly
Old 03-06-2019, 12:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes, you would need to decrease the fuel map since the injector would be flowing more fuel per cycle due to higher pressure. The thing you need to be careful with is some injectors don’t like going above certain levels without losing its ability to atomize the fuel properly
Interesting. I hadn't thought of this part. So a good set will have at least some mention of functional range? Or at least suggested?
Old 03-06-2019, 03:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Interesting. I hadn't thought of this part. So a good set will have at least some mention of functional range? Or at least suggested?
‘most of the better injector companies usually do, 60-70 is the most common range that I see most of them say is the limit

Quick Reply: TurboLScrx - Making my return to the fold