Notices

turboing a d16z6 ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turboing a d16z6 ?'s

I'm thinking about turboing my d16z6 and i heard that the comp. is 9. somthing to 1... and on most turbo cars 9:1 is a good comp. for turbo.... And they can usually boost more psi... what can i boost on a stock d16.. i was also thinking about getting a thicker head gasket to lower the comp. does anyone know where i can get a thicker head gasket to lower the comp.? TIA
Old 07-16-2003, 11:19 PM

Default Re: turboing a d16z6 ?'s (92boostn'hatch)

Get the Greddy 2mm headgasket if you want a new one. They hold up real good.

As far a turboing, my d16 is turbo'd and I've had no probs with it. Just make sure you do it right and have a proper fuel management setup. I'm running 8 psi daily w/o tuning. After tuning, 10 psi daily.

The highest i've seen a d16 is 20 psi on stock internals before blowing. I would say 12-14 is probably more realistic for daily driving, and thats with full tuning.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turboing a d16z6 ?'s (Sivik)

thanks, how would i go about tuning it? i've got the greddy emanage, i could use that right?
Old 07-17-2003, 10:47 AM

yea the emanage will work fine. its the "new blue box" for greddy. all there turbo kits now come with emanage instead of the old blue box. sorta pisses me off but oh well. i don't you the box anyways. there should be little dials on the side of the emanage. thats how you tune it. however, if there is tape over the dials, then its pre-tuned from greddy. you can still change the settings. i'm not familiar with the emanage setup so i wouldn't know how to tune it. i'm sure its not hard. you could always get the E-01 boost controller and tune it with that as well. just a thought...
Old 07-17-2003, 11:16 AM

Default Re: turboing a d16z6 ?'s (Sivik)

You run 8 daily? Hmm... no tuning? I run 5 and was worried going up any higher would be dangerous. I have a walburo fuel pump for more fuel, but stock injectors, truth is the car runs' great but I'm worried if I go up to say... 7 I'll risk my motor ( although it runs strong and no leaks or what not with a good compression check ) ...hmm.... ???
Old 07-17-2003, 11:22 AM

Default Re: turboing a d16z6 ?'s (Turbo-JC)

well its sorta tuned... i ran 7 with the blue box but now I'm at 8. Here's me setup

98 D16Y8 w/ stock internals
Greddy TD04-15G turbo
Greddy Type S BOV
Greddy Type 31 FMIC
DSM 450cc injectors
Apexi V-AFC (Hacked)
Tanabe Super Racing Medallion Exhaust
ACT Modified Street Disc w/ Extreme Pressure Plate
Greddy Turbo Timer
Greddy Profec B Spec II Boost Controller

I run 8 psi no prob, and sometimes 10 if I need to "race" somebody, though only 10 for a minute or so. I looking into 3" exhuast, 2.5" dp, no cat, mild ignition work, Walbro 255 fuel pump, and some tuning so I can run 10 psi daily. It has been done before so I know I can do it. Just want to make sure I do it right.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:57 PM

what kind of #'s are you guys running? im looking to turbo my z6 after my tranny swap. but i plan to go with a t3/t4
Old 07-17-2003, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jazz215)

I don't know how much HP i got cause i don't care for those #'s but i'm hitting 14.40s w/100.21 trap speeds on bald 14" street tires

heres my setup

Garrett T3/To4E 57 trim .63/.60 a/r
Turbonetics Deltagate 35mm
VAFC
345cc prelude injectors(still can't find a decent set of 440)
2.5 exhaust straight pipe
stock internals
7lbs
Old 07-17-2003, 02:35 PM

Default Re: (Sivik)

[QUOTE=Sivik]yea the emanage will work fine. its the "new blue box" for greddy. all there turbo kits now come with emanage instead of the old blue box.

Actually the new 12:1 fmu (blue box) in Greddy kits is not Emanage. Emanage is tunable, the "blue box" is not (except for putting in a different disk like 8:1 for larger inj.). They are just both colored blue.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:17 PM

Default Re: (94dxt)

Are you sure about the new Greddy kits? My friend just ordered the Greddy kit for his Civic and it came with the emanage. It had tape over the dials and said "Not Street Legal if Removed." However, we removed the tape (who cares bout street legal ) and sure enough, same as the emanage. i was shocked to see, but he ordered the kit and emanage was with it.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

WOW... Cool so i guess i could get rid of my emanage now.... How's the power from the greddy kit? I heard it wasn't that great...
Old 07-17-2003, 08:29 PM

why would you want to get rid of emanage??? its better than the old blue box and will work!
Old 07-17-2003, 08:31 PM

as for power... its not the best but its pretty darn good.

I've smoked plenty of peeps on the streets @ 7 psi... GSR's, SI's, Stang GT's... but im not building a race car so i chose the greddy kit for simplicity of the install and reliability.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:40 PM

I have the new greddy kit it has the new Vortech 12:1 FMU, it's a blue box but not Emanage
Old 07-17-2003, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94dxt)

I would hope the greddy kited d16 would be gsr's and si's.... anyone know how much horse power the kit puts to the ground....
Old 07-17-2003, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92boostn'hatch)

probably not as much if you built your own. If your looking for that drastic change in power from the time you put it on i would go with a custom.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:15 PM

Default Re: (D16z6turbs)

i'd say the power change is drastic. with just my turbo and fmic @ 4 psi... my power to the wheels was 130 whp 129 wtq. thats not much number wise, but that was with the blue box with a really really rich A/F ratio. On 4 psi, I was beating most cars (4 cyl) on the road. The power is noticable and it felt like a whole new car. Now I'm running 8 psi and its like a turbo for my turbo. Huge change. I really haven't lost any street races. I've beatin a few GS-T's and they are turbo'd from the factory. Though I pick my races wisely (ie im not gonna race a Z28 or Vette).

But however there are more powerful turbos (than the greddy) that will produce more hp at the same psi. it just depends on your goals. if you want the most power, then go custom with t3 or equivalent ball-bearing turbo.

I said before I'm not building a race car, but for the money and reliability, go with Greddy. If you want more power but with a bolt on kit, get the Apex kit. Just depends on your goals.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:04 PM

Hmm 8 psi on stock internals? Ahh but you have a 98 d16y8...much different than myself.

I run a d16a6 with 150 k on it, runs great with good compression...I run 4 psi on it with a small greddy kit...not sure if i should/can go higher - even if I do put it on the DYNO and run some fuel management - what do you think SIVIK ?
Old 07-19-2003, 01:15 AM

Default Re: (Turbo-JC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo-JC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Hmm 8 psi on stock internals? Ahh but you have a 98 d16y8...much different than myself.

I run a d16a6 with 150 k on it, runs great with good compression...I run 4 psi on it with a small greddy kit...not sure if i should/can go higher - even if I do put it on the DYNO and run some fuel management - what do you think SIVIK ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Honestly, I've seen people run 10 psi daily on the d16z6 block. Easier to deal with since its OBD1 anyways. I would say if you have an intercooler and a good fuel management setup... go for at 7-8 psi. Just check your plugs to make sure no detonation or for any signs of problems. What is your setup? Fuel system? Make sure you take in consideration every factor before bumping up the boost. It might run fine when you first do it, but a week later it might go BOOM! But overall, your block can handle 7 psi daily no prob. I run the Greddy kit as well and no probs. And remember, the Greddy kit is designed for the d16z6, not the d16y8... not much different...
Old 07-19-2003, 11:00 AM

I'm running stock injectors that seem to be still sprayin and a Walburo upgraded fuel pump. Large Front mount greddy intercooler, custom piping, TurboXS RFL blow off valve and apexi turbo timer with a manual boost controller set at 4 psi. And as I said, greddy kit. So people keep sayin - go to the DYNO, and then adjust my air/fuel accordingly with 450cc injectors and the "afc hack" ... ??? Then run 7 - 8 psi. I really just can't afford to deal with a blown motor ahah... ???
Old 07-19-2003, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what's an afc hack?
Old 07-20-2003, 01:57 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo-JC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I'm running stock injectors that seem to be still sprayin and a Walburo upgraded fuel pump. Large Front mount greddy intercooler, custom piping, TurboXS RFL blow off valve and apexi turbo timer with a manual boost controller set at 4 psi. And as I said, greddy kit. So people keep sayin - go to the DYNO, and then adjust my air/fuel accordingly with 450cc injectors and the "afc hack" ... ??? Then run 7 - 8 psi. I really just can't afford to deal with a blown motor ahah... ???</TD></TR></TABLE>

What do you use for fuel management? Blue box? Rising rate FMU? If your using the blue box, then you'll be fine to bump up to 7 psi. I ran 7 on the box no prob, just keep checking your plugs to be safe. Also, if you have an A/F gauge then watch that. Its a little bit helpful though not very accurate. A better gauge to use to monitor is an EGT. Get one of those and you can monitor you A/F ratio to make sure you won't run lean. But on the blue box and at 7 psi... you'll be fine. Try it and you'll be happy !

If you don't have a blue box, then let me know what your fuel management setup is and I can help.

The AFC Hack is not really hacking any software. The blue box that comes with the Greddy blocks the MAP sensor signal to prevent the computer from throwing a code. Whenever the MAP sensor reads a pressure increase greater than 0 psi, ie boost, its sends a current greater than 3V (I think that is the range for "safe" operation) and the computer throws a code. The blue box blocks this code from the ECU and therefore never will display the CEL.

The AFC hack sorta does the same thing, just a little bit different. When the map sensor reads boost, it sends a current greater than 3V. What the AFC does is it reduces the current by a percentage you determine. If you read about it, people say -38% or so. That is the percentage that the actual MAP voltage is reduced by the AFC. So you don't block it, just change it. In order to do this and still have the ECU provide enough fuel, you need the bigger injectors. That way you can still have a safe A/F ratio.

Sorry for the long post... hope you understand it. If not, just ask.

Later.
Old 07-21-2003, 06:59 AM

Well for fuel management I'm not running anything - check valves prevent any codes to be thrown - no blue box .

I'm running stock injectors and the upgraded pump.

I appreciate your post, made sense.

So I'm not sure what to do, I have no FMU at all and that's why I question upping the boost ya know ?
Old 07-22-2003, 06:20 AM

using check valves... Just houtist-up !!!
You need some sort of fuel manigament !!! AFC/ fmu/ or something !!!

D16z6 motor dyno at about 100whp, so 130whp with equal torque is pretty damn good with no fuel manigament and only 4psi...
Old 07-22-2003, 07:46 AM

Default Re: (89dxhunchback)

hehe, you guys are doing what i "used" to do over a yr ago. I maxed my greddy kit at clsoe to 250 wheel power on my stock motor with just a greddy 4mm headgasket. Anyways, I'm now completely redoing another d16 motor fo rmy car along with a trany and axels. I'll keep you guys updates if ya wish, just email me. I'll say this only, I'm looking to break well into the 400 wheel hp range with this new setup on the streets.

Quick Reply: turboing a d16z6 ?'s