Notices

Turbocharging h22

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 12:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 Turbocharging h22

Hey guys I have an 94 accord JDM h22 with f22 transmission.I am thinking to turbocharged my h22 so I would like to know your opinions about what transmission can give me best results if i turbocharged my h22..thanx
Old 12-07-2010, 02:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbocharging h22

accord transmission is best because of the longer gears. You will stay in boost a lot longer
Old 12-07-2010, 07:21 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

but may hurt acceleration with "longer gearing". Google "H22 Turbo Honda-Tech". There are a lot of threads on this topic already in place, that have a TON of info. they'll help you out quite a bit. Using he search feature on this forum has a LOT to be desired, so google or Bing it.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

True. I forgot to mention that it depends on the owners use of the car. For me I only do 45 or 50mph rolls so the accord transmission is perfect.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's beem tried and tried again. Shorter gearing = tq sooner = faster acceleration.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turbociv910
It's beem tried and tried again. Shorter gearing = tq sooner = faster acceleration.
bingo

you only stay in boost longer because youre accelerating slower. Same goes for the whole LS transmission vs Gsr B16 Itr
Old 12-07-2010, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Get the euro R trans if you can get a hold of one.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue94Accord
accord transmission is best because of the longer gears. You will stay in boost a lot longer
WRONG.

Shorter the better to get the heavy accord moving. Shorter gears multiply tq... which allows to accelerate quicker = faster. (not top end, acceleration)

Boost longer in a gear is better is the most retarded thing ive ever heard... Its almost completely owned by the Honda camp too...

HAHAHAH

my .02? M2F4 with an LSD.... M2Y4 if youre worried about freeway cruise. PM me for deals on a M2F4 woith OBX.

I have a OBX in my car making 750 and its been flawless.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive been living a lie? Well maybe i worded it wrong. I do 50-140 races. Theres no way the prelude trans would be keeping up with that mph. I understand for the track and light to light races but for top end pulls I would think accord would be better right?
Old 12-07-2010, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ya then go with the accord trans to get your a** in jail faster.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Blue94Accord
Ive been living a lie? Well maybe i worded it wrong. I do 50-140 races. Theres no way the prelude trans would be keeping up with that mph. I understand for the track and light to light races but for top end pulls I would think accord would be better right?
No.

Even the short *** 4th gen SI M2F4 will do will do 150 under a stock redline. If your car wouldnt trap 140... Theres no use going that fast from a roll anyways.

If you're THAT worried about it, go with a M2Y4 trans. I like the F4 myself, but it has a short fifth that will have highway cruise up higher than youd probably like.

The accord trannys dont only have longer cogs, the FD is 4:1 vs 4.26:1 in the H trannys... The F trannys also will ALMOST even allow a stock redline motor to fall out of VTEC on a shift.

The F trans is for a motor. Get a H tranny (Noth the H23 M2S4). The car wont only FEEL quicker, it WILL be. Lsd should be an afterthought plenty of people go 9s and 10s on open difs.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That is true. When I was na I fell out of vtec for at least 500rpms but being boosted it wasn't to noticeable cause it would rev up pretty quick.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Because of having longer gears with my f22 tranny after h22 swap ,, I am thinking to spend another $500-$700.
so here is where i need you guys help.. the question is should i spend my money to get faster transmissions like h22,h23 or should just get aftermarket turbo. in order to get best results for performance..?
Old 12-09-2010, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

any suggestions..?
Old 12-10-2010, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its not gonna be worth it, if you're gonna upgrade the trans it would only be worth it if you pick up a euro R with lsd, or go h2b. Besides that, I wouldn't spend the money difference between going from an f to an h trans.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 90blackcrx
Its not gonna be worth it, if you're gonna upgrade the trans it would only be worth it if you pick up a euro R with lsd, or go h2b. Besides that, I wouldn't spend the money difference between going from an f to an h trans.

Disagree. An M2F4 will pep it up a good bit over the F22 trans... (Not to mention not fall out of VTEC between some shitds :O) ) The fifth gear is alot shorter as is the FD, so no more 170 MPH Freeway ricer runs (LOL) but H2B is worthless and completely infeasable in an Accord... Its retarded for anything other than A hatch for anything more than geting axle angles correct. They are NOT stronger. Euro R trannys are wayyyy to cost prohibitive, Even M2B4 JDM LSD trannys are overpriced and hard to find diff parts for....

H2B setups arent worth even considering for an Accord. The myth tha they are stronger inside is just that, for a wile it was a better option for the fact that there just wasnt any support for the H trans, I wsas in that boat before I got my hands on the Seanz set. I looked at doing it being as there were gearsets all over for it, but iit was RETARDED to try and do in an accord, besides when you get to the point of really breaking H trannys, there are a plethora of choices for gearset options now.

an H trans will really wake the car up. I promise. I have a OBX diffed M2F4 id let go fairly cheap, but PM me to talk about that. My car makes a good deal of power and my OBX has yet to fail me. Ive destroyed every H tranny there has ever been produced too.

With the gearset and OEM 4-5th gen Lude axles (from H series motored cars) I have yet to break OEM axls at 750 either.

:O)
Old 12-10-2010, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by extralargenog
Disagree. An M2F4 will pep it up a good bit over the F22 trans... (Not to mention not fall out of VTEC between some shitds :O) ) The fifth gear is alot shorter as is the FD, so no more 170 MPH Freeway ricer runs (LOL) but H2B is worthless and completely infeasable in an Accord... Its retarded for anything other than A hatch for anything more than geting axle angles correct. They are NOT stronger. Euro R trannys are wayyyy to cost prohibitive, Even M2B4 JDM LSD trannys are overpriced and hard to find diff parts for....

H2B setups arent worth even considering for an Accord. The myth tha they are stronger inside is just that, for a wile it was a better option for the fact that there just wasnt any support for the H trans, I wsas in that boat before I got my hands on the Seanz set. I looked at doing it being as there were gearsets all over for it, but iit was RETARDED to try and do in an accord, besides when you get to the point of really breaking H trannys, there are a plethora of choices for gearset options now.

an H trans will really wake the car up. I promise. I have a OBX diffed M2F4 id let go fairly cheap, but PM me to talk about that. My car makes a good deal of power and my OBX has yet to fail me. Ive destroyed every H tranny there has ever been produced too.

With the gearset and OEM 4-5th gen Lude axles (from H series motored cars) I have yet to break OEM axls at 750 either.

:O)
Fifth gear, who uses that, by the time I'm shifting into 5th I'm already doing around 125ish, I don't play with that kind of speeds on the highway, my car is mostly a drag car , I don't want to use fifth if I can help it.

You're talking about gear sets now though, that's comparing apples to oranges when we're talking about a stock h trans, and a stock b. The b hands down will hold power longer ( stock form ) , the h has more weak points, if I had the cash I'd do h2b in a second. I've gone threw about 4 h series trans now, one locking me out of reverse , one totally loosing third gear ( just daily driving it to alignment shop ) .

Depending what turbo he has, and what power he is making, he'll be faster with a better turbo ( like I said depending on what he is running now ). I myself don't care what h or f trans is on my motor, if I have a spare f sitting around and the h trans blows I put the f on, if it makes that much of a difference in time, I'll just play with the boost.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm just shifting out of 3rd at 125 loll but im racing c5 vetts and mustangs with those speeds. Idk for some reason staying in gear longer at full boost just makes more sense to me but from what you guys are saying im wrong. Ive never drove with a prelude trans but the falling out of vtec problem was fixed when I got a tune with a chipped ecu. The motor rev'd up alot fast and stayed in vtec when i shifted.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Fifth gear, who uses that, by the time I'm shifting into 5th I'm already doing around 125ish, I don't play with that kind of speeds on the highway, my car is mostly a drag car , I don't want to use fifth if I can help it.

You're talking about gear sets now though, that's comparing apples to oranges when we're talking about a stock h trans, and a stock b. The b hands down will hold power longer ( stock form ) , the h has more weak points, if I had the cash I'd do h2b in a second. I've gone threw about 4 h series trans now, one locking me out of reverse , one totally loosing third gear ( just daily driving it to alignment shop ) .

Depending what turbo he has, and what power he is making, he'll be faster with a better turbo ( like I said depending on what he is running now ). I myself don't care what h or f trans is on my motor, if I have a spare f sitting around and the h trans blows I put the f on, if it makes that much of a difference in time, I'll just play with the boost.

The trannys i refered to have nothing to do with aftermarket sets.

You are ill informed my friend. the B tranny is NOT stronger internally. Im sure Ive broke more H trannys than you to the tune of 14 BEFORE I got a gearset. Im familliar with your car. When I was having issues NO ONE had any input and there weren't any H sets readily available. That has changed. If you really think a B tranny is stronger, youre a funny guy. Sounds like I investigated that a lot more thourougly as well. When you're breaking 2 trannys a weekend, and no one makes a set... You tend to do alot of research and hybrid action trying to get a OEM tranny to work. In futility. Always 2nd and fourth (sometimes both in the same pulls) would break for me... That and demolished FDs.

At best the only reason its (H2B) even an option are for the reasons I stated above- however completely retarded for a BB or CD. Ive already outlined what the advantages of the B were above so im not going to regurgitate it. In a hatch, it helps with axle issues. The H tranny is internaly stronger. Period.

I use fifth because my 5th is super short and even wirth a 26 tire I NEED IT as my car traps 140 +. So, when I race.. I race to what the car traps. My car isnt built for freeway flying. 75 MPH comes at about 4500 RPM, on said 26" tire. My car revs to 9K... Do the math LOL... 5th is 1:1 with a 4.266 FD (I DO use a stock FD for now untill I get a custom 3.8 made)

In short, yes a H trans will wake the car up over the F. NOTICABLY, not only are the cogs shorter, The FD is too ;O) That has NOTHING to do with gearsets (aftermarket anyways).

You got locked out of Reverse because you bent the shift fork... I flat foot shift my box at 9K and doent EVER miss. There are some tricks, you just have to know them. I learned the hard way, bense, Bone, Aqua... None of them could really offer any help when I started going through the issues. Alopez and a few other H22 gangsters LMK I wasnt alone.

I have some very very nice pics of completely stripped gearsets form power (not botched shifting) for your viewing pleasure if youd like to see to qualify i know a little about what im talking about. ;O)
Old 12-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not a huge fan of the cable linkages either though, I'm to tired to even respond besides with that lol, sounds like you have a lot more experience though with the h trannys then I do. Just after dealing with all the issues I've been having... you start to hate that particular trans
Old 12-10-2010, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not a huge fan of the cable linkages either though, I'm to tired to even respond besides with that lol, sounds like you have a lot more experience though with the h trannys then I do. Just after dealing with all the issues I've been having... you start to hate that particular trans

Your car is sick. I followed the build thread ;O).. Try the "Zip tie trick" it really helps. Theres someting to be said for solid bushings as well ;O)
Old 12-11-2010, 12:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so should I upgrade my transmission or should I buy aftermarket turbo kit from ebay for $700 where you can see it in following web link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H22-T...ht_5589wt_1008
Old 12-11-2010, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your car is sick. I followed the build thread ;O).. Try the "Zip tie trick" it really helps. Theres someting to be said for solid bushings as well ;O)
Thanks , I'll try that even more.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes, yes it is^^^

Last edited by slvrlude; 12-12-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:31 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Solid bushings did wonders. As well as using the right oil, since moving to honda new mtd I never really had a problem. Overfilling the trans via vss seemed to help as well.

The biggest problem with our trans is getting into 2nd gear when your on slicks but they are still spinning. Thats where the twin disk comes into play.