Notices

Turbocharging a B16A1

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbocharging a B16A1

I'm about to fit a Garett T25 on my '91 Civic V-tec...
I'll have a custom made exhaust manifold and downpipe,an intercooler,an EGT sensor,etc...

But I have some questions for you guys:
- do I really need to lower compression ratio?If so,how?Using two (or a thick) head gasket?Machnining my pistons?
- Can I still use my stock camshafts with the stock pulleys?Or do I need to change the timing with adjustable aluminium pulleys?(I know it would be better but it requires a full rolling road set-up,so if it can be ok with the stock units...)
- what about the ECU?Can I just fit a high pressure fuel pump and big injectors (e.g:440cc) or do I need to have a custom management unit?Or is there a chip which would be able to change ignition timing and fuel injection to proper values?Or is an Apexi V-AFC enough if it's well tuned?

I know it's a lot of questions but I live in France and I'll be the first guy to turbocharged a Civic in France,so nobody can help me...
I hope I'll have some answers...

Thx.
Old 03-11-2003, 12:09 PM

Default Re: Turbocharging a B16A1 (Jobi Joba)

I really need answers...
Nobody's here?
Old 03-11-2003, 12:25 PM

I'm about to fit a Garett T25 on my '91 Civic V-tec...
I'll have a custom made exhaust manifold and downpipe,an intercooler,an EGT sensor,etc...

But I have some questions for you guys:
- do I really need to lower compression ratio?If so,how?Using two (or a thick) head gasket?Machnining my pistons?
- Can I still use my stock camshafts with the stock pulleys?Or do I need to change the timing with adjustable aluminium pulleys?(I know it would be better but it requires a full rolling road set-up,so if it can be ok with the stock units...)
- what about the ECU?Can I just fit a high pressure fuel pump and big injectors (e.g:440cc) or do I need to have a custom management unit?Or is there a chip which would be able to change ignition timing and fuel injection to proper values?Or is an Apexi V-AFC enough if it's well tuned?

I know it's a lot of questions but I live in France and I'll be the first guy to turbocharged a Civic in France,so nobody can help me...
I hope I'll have some answers...

Thx.
Your compression is fine, no need to lower it.
If you have the money go with a stand-alone system.
If not go with the v-afc and 440cc injectors and you'll be fine.It's a good idea to upgrade your fuel pump. You should also retard your timing about 2-3 degrees.
Old 03-11-2003, 12:31 PM

Default Re: Turbocharging a B16A1 (b16ahybrid)

stand alone:err...too much expensive for me...

V-AFC,440cc injectors and an uprated fuel pump would be enough?Greaaaaaaaaat...And the stock ECU won't be crazy when he sees a pressure as high as 10/11 psi?
No problem with the map sensor?And for the vacuum/boost transition it would be ok too?

Thx for your answer mate!I thought nobody would take time to answer to the frenchy...
Old 03-11-2003, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

DAMN yo! france... well i would tell you to go with hondata PR3 ecu with the boost option but i dought that there will be anyone who can tune it for you.

well you can keep the stock pistons. With that high of compression i would not boost past 6-7psi (if you don't have a true stand-alone ecu managment)
If your really peroniod about your stock compression being too high get a greddy turbo head gasket.. i thinks it's 2mm and cost $200ish
-your cams are fine, but i have heard that people with the B16a1 have use ITR & GSR cams with low boost(5-7psi) & made more power
-you most likely will not need to get cam gears to adjust your cams unless you got different cams. Stock cams are good enough, & have been proven to make power!
-yes get a Walbro intake fuel pump. stock pumps will not let you go over 220ish whp!

**if you do go afc-hack.. it works to but there are many issues with this method but if you do it right & get it properly turned it works ok. BUT I would go hondata hands down!
*High compression and boost = lot of fun!

NEXT TIME USE search.. your luck I'm in good mood most of the time people will ignore questions like this because it has been talked about like 15464844,15461,448151, of times here on honda-tech.

hahheh if you didn't mentioning being the 1st person in France to turbo charge a B16a1 then i most likely would have just click out of the post

best of luck

Old 03-11-2003, 12:45 PM

Default Re: Turbocharging a B16A1 (Charlie Moua)

Thx a lot!!!!!!!

I think I'll go for the afc hack...
And I am searching old topics related to my questions...
And I have some problems...what does that mean:
- FMU?
- DSM?
- FI?

And just one question:has someone already tried the hack solution with an AFC II???And is Apexi about to release a V-AFC II?Cause setting the inginiton timing sounds good to me...
Old 03-11-2003, 01:10 PM

Thx a lot!!!!!!!

I think I'll go for the afc hack...
And I am searching old topics related to my questions...
And I have some problems...what does that mean:
- FMU?
- DSM?
- FI?

And just one question:has someone already tried the hack solution with an AFC II???And is Apexi about to release a V-AFC II?Cause setting the inginiton timing sounds good to me...
You'll need to use check valves to keep the map sensor from seeing boost.
FMU = fuel management unit. It's a boost dependent fuel pressure regulator. It adds x amount of fuel per psi of boost.
DSM Most commonly heard on here is refering to mitsubishi injectors (dsm 440's)..
F/I stands for forced induction via turbo or supercharger....
Old 03-12-2003, 10:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Turbocharging a B16A1

If your planning on using 440/450cc injectors and an AFC,
check out this link:
http://www.thedropshop.tv/vafc.htm
This a good writeup on the "afc hack" which a lot of people are running.
Old 03-12-2003, 11:01 AM

Default Re: Turbocharging a B16A1 (rioninja)

Thx a lot,there is everything I need on this site!!!!!!!!

But I have some questions again (last ones!):
-What does CEL stand for?A code throwed by the ECU when the MAP sensors reads too much boost?
-To fit 450cc DSM injectors on my b16a1,do I need resistor box?And what's that box and where Can I find it?
-Has anyone tryed this mods with a S-AFC II???Cause there are some differences with the S-AFC I...

And the final one:just thinking about mechanical problems:how much boost can I run with stock internals?12psi?And is it better to run 10/11 psi with the stock compression ratio or 12/13 psi using a thick head gasket?

Thx a lot mates!!!!!!!!
Old 03-12-2003, 11:06 AM

ooooooops,I have forgotten one:Which turbo would be the best for what I plan to do:Garett T25 or T3?
Old 03-12-2003, 11:08 AM

Yes, CEL refers to an ecu code.
The DSM 450s will work perfectly, but you will need to buy or modify the
manifold grommet/seal. No resister box needed, since your car is a 91 it already
has a resister box stock.
And you can use any AFC, just as long as it lets you adjust the trim by at least -40%. In fact, there are a ton of other cheaper devices you can build of buy that will do the same thing as an AFC. Just search around this forum.

The most boost you can run will be 10psi if your going the AFC "hack" route, since the stock map sensor will only read around 10psi.
Old 03-12-2003, 11:09 AM

Definatly a T3. the t25 is really way too small for a B16a.
If you can afford it, then a T3/T4 hybrid turbo would definatly be better.
Just do a lot of reading in this forum, there is a ton of useful info.
Old 03-13-2003, 09:15 AM

Default Re: Turbocharging a B16A1 (rioninja)

And you can use any AFC, just as long as it lets you adjust the trim by at least -40%. In fact, there are a ton of other cheaper devices you can build of buy that will do the same thing as an AFC. Just search around this forum.

The most boost you can run will be 10psi if your going the AFC "hack" route, since the stock map sensor will only read around 10psi.
And no probs with the V-Tec?great...
And for the map sensor,what about a bleed valve?Using that the map sensor would only see about 10psi when boosting at 14 psi (for example)?

For the turbo,I thought that with so little boost (10/12psi) a T25 would be better because of its little size:no lag and I thought it would be OK for 10/12psi...
But it doesn't matter,it's easier to find a T3 rather than a T25!

To your mind,is the blue wire mod usefull?Cause stock lambda sensors are not really accurate and their voltage is always changing...so the measure is not really accurate I think... An EGT sensor would be more usefull to know wether my engine is running lean or rich I think...But maybe a combination of both EGT sensor and blue wire mod can be a good source of informations about my engine's health...

By the way,how many hp do you think a b16a1 turbo with 12 psi boost (and thick head gasket,big bore straight through exhaust,front mounted intercooler,Walbro fuel pump,450 DSM injectors,V-AFC and lightweight balanced bellcrank/rods/pistons) would produce? I'm targetting 230/240 hp... does it seem realistic for you?
Old 03-13-2003, 10:54 AM

You dont want to use any kind of check valves. In order for the afc hack to work, the afc will need to read the actual map sensor voltage.

The blue wire mod will not really be too acurate but it will give you a idea. You definatly have the right idea about the EGT gauge, and it should be on the top of your list.

B16as flow a ton of air, and a t25 is really too small. I would make great power at low RPMs, but it will struggle to keep up at higher rpms. Even smaller T3 turbos are not big enough for high RPMs.
To give you an idea, I have a t3 from a Ford Thunderbird on my car right now, which is one of the largest trim turbos you can find on factory turbo cars. It makes incredible midrange, but even this turbo dies off slightly at the higher rpms.
If your looking for the absolute most power, then your going to need to look into a t3/t4 hybrid. It really all depends on your plans for the car. I stuck with my 60 trim t3, because i daily drive it and the midrange is great for driving around light to light on the street.