Notices

Turbo ZC non vtec

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Turbo ZC non vtec

So I've searched around the forums, and maybe I used the wrong key words but found very little if not nothing on this subject. I plan to boost my ZC crate motor I just picked up. I am only looking to run 4-6pounds of boost...nothing special. I'm having a hard time finding info on what ECU upgrade and/or chip I need or, if I can reflash my stock ECU. Any help on this subject will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo ZC non vtec

If you have a PM6 that is chippable you can tune it with Turboedit, but this requires removing the stock rom and socketing a new EEPROM. Then you need all the hardware to burn, and so forth. PGMFI.org has all the info you need. Good Luck!
Old 03-07-2013, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I cannot thank you enough. I just skimmed the just the beginner page and it looks to be a gold mine. I will post picks as soon as the ball starts rolling on this build. I plan to run this setup in my daily. Thanks again
Old 03-08-2013, 03:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just for your future reference, the ZC you have is identical to a d16a6 with a slightly different cam timing, if you have any future questions searching for the d16a6 will probably help a lot. also if you plan to do it right you should get a chipped obd1 ecu and convert the car. they are a lot easier to tune and work on, especially by professional shops. whats the engine out of? it might already be an obd1 engine
Old 03-08-2013, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes I'm aware of the difference in the cams. I am currently running a ZC in my sedan, and I can walk all over an A6. It's a crate motor from Japan. It had a weird intake mani on it when I got it. It had two throttle plates. One plate for cylinders 1-2 and one plate for 3-4. Hahahaha its funny you bring up that conversion I thought about it when I was putting the head gasket, water pump and timing belt tonight. I'll try to get the pics up.
Attached Images        
Old 03-08-2013, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is my hoopty
Attached Images    
Old 03-10-2013, 03:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Carbed zc.

Yawn.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't like zc's? Or just bored with them? So I decided to go with a piggy-back f/ic. Did feel like trying to mess with my ecu...rather cut and splice. Manifold is bolted up but I'm having issues with the turbo clearing...it has put me at a stand still as far as that goes... :/ working it out tho.
Attached Images   
Old 03-15-2013, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

convert to obd1 and get crome for free.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What's crome, software?
Old 03-16-2013, 01:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

People will tell you all the time to switch to OBD1 with cost of money, conversion harness, new ECU, and so much forth you have to factor in. Just stick to the OBD0 if you don't have vtec. 90% of the people don't even fully utilize their OBD1 systems or have the means to data log without paying for the higher end costs to use the software.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:13 AM
EFB055

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That turbo looks massive. 4-6 psi? Looks like you will be making more than that.

Have you had any dramas using a fuel injected intake manifold on a twin carburetor block?

That ZC made less power than the d16a6 did stock FYI.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No I haven't had any problems running mpfi intake with a ZC. I am currently running a zc with the manifold and an aem short ram and don't have any problems. I was not aware that it made less hp it seems to do good mated with the fuel injection tho. I've been able to beat hatchs with A6's. And I don't plan on changing over to obd1...not gunna run vtec so ill be ok with what I've got. Yeah I'm going to be running 5-7psi so I can be okay with my stock internals. Will be installing the aem piggy back tomorrow! I'm very excited about it....I got butterflies reading all the instructions last night B-) hahaha!
Old 03-16-2013, 05:54 PM
EFB055

Originally Posted by CylentZc
No I haven't had any problems running mpfi intake with a ZC. I am currently running a zc with the manifold and an aem short ram and don't have any problems.
Do you mean you're currently running a MPFI ZC? Most of them are fuel injected, but the motor you have up there is carby. I was just wondering if you noticed any difficulties putting on a fuel injected manifold onto the carby version of the ZC that you have.

I was not aware that it made less hp it seems to do good mated with the fuel injection tho. I've been able to beat hatchs with A6's.
the fuel injected ZC's had slightly more power.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by swordofdoom
People will tell you all the time to switch to OBD1 with cost of money, conversion harness, new ECU, and so much forth you have to factor in. Just stick to the OBD0 if you don't have vtec. 90% of the people don't even fully utilize their OBD1 systems or have the means to data log without paying for the higher end costs to use the software.

it's not about "fully" utilizing obd1 software or not. It's about how refind the softwared is.
Ask your local tuner if they know what turboedit is & if they would like to tune with it.
I'm going to guess most honda tuners would prefer Crome well over turboedit.

but what do it know. lol
find your tuner, then go with what he sugguest for EMS.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not sure if the motor I am running was carbed or mpfi orginally...it was replaced by the previous owner. And as far as the intake manifolds go they look to bolt up the same so I believe I will be ok. And as far as local tuners go....I'm not a big fan of a company that makes fun of its customers....that's why I'm going to do this myself...example I walked in to get skunk2 front camber kits and they laughed and said for that piece of ****...hahahaha f@#$ers
Old 03-16-2013, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by ~sp33~
I was just wondering if you noticed any difficulties putting on a fuel injected manifold onto the carby version
its the same casting, with just the mechanical pump opening cut out. so the manifolds fit the same.

you can see the ugly gaskets whoever put on the back of the block to cover the carburetor fuel pump hole.
https://honda-tech.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1362810284
Old 03-17-2013, 01:38 AM
EFB055

Ah, cool thanks ^
Old 03-17-2013, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Failed at an attempt to install the fic today. Wired it in and started to throw codes for my dizzy and running like ****....wasnt able to look at anything since I currently have no laptop atm. Also was confused on what sensor is the cam sensor, tdc, or cyl sensor. I think they work together to determine cam position right? Idk can't think been a long day...
Old 04-11-2013, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I went to a couple different places around where I am from to get an Idea of how much it is going to cost me to get it tuned instead of trying it myself. And Chrome popped up along with converting to obd1....hahaha...was told it can dial in settings better then the aem f/ic haha...damn the luck...now I am stuck deciding which to go with, and deal with selling my f/ic as well if I choose to switch...On a good note I got my boost gauge installed and higher flow pump in
Old 04-14-2013, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

got the fic wired in again and, decided to just stick with what i have. no point to turn around now...anyone know of a good n/a map thats out there i can use until i go boosted? thanks
Attached Images  
Old 04-15-2013, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

installed my boost gauge today. Had to dremel out some parts on the housing of the dash clock to get it to fit into the spot i wanted it.
Attached Images  
Old 04-15-2013, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I always loved single cam ZC's they run better than even the dohc ZC's. My single cam ZC just naturally aspirated with a few bolt ons even beat a boilt up WRX. Yours with boost should be a little monster!
Old 04-16-2013, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah with the short ram intake I have it sounds like a baby trex is under the hood . Can't wait to get it in and take it for a spin. She has came a long way from when I bought her from my buddy after he wrecked it...best $280 I've ever spent
Old 05-15-2013, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So my transmission went out on me about two weeks ago. Which in turn has started this madness that is my build...well ill post the pics i have taken so far. Both the trans and motor have been replaced.

Quick Reply: Turbo ZC non vtec