Notices

Turbo Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 02:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Turbo Suggestions

Team H/T after running All Motor for several years I'm ready to take it to the next level. I've got a B18B1 GE sleeved block currently at 84.5 and an Alaniz head. I'd like to be at least in the low 10s high 9s and I'm looking for experienced builders/racers opinions on camshaft and turbo selection. Once I got this sorted out, I think it'll be easier to select the remaining parts for my build. Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-17-2015, 04:11 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Turbo Suggestions

Not everyone is a drag racer here. Have a power level goal, a budget, (maximum willingness to spend in a turbocharger ), list of other hot parts (exhaust manifold, downpipe style, etc) and purpose..

Unlike in the NA forums, the formula for success here can vary highly, so you need to establish some parameters.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:53 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

If youre going for big power its not all about the turbocharger like some people make it out to be

Focus on engine management first.

If youre going to follow the heard and use s300 or some other **** ecu then good luck to you

Dont spend 1500 on a turbo
500 on cams
600 on injectors
500 on intercooler piping etc

Then cheap out on a ems.

Thats the most backwards thing you can do
Old 12-17-2015, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

Hey man if you need some help picking a turbo let me know, I have been testing and running both Comp and Garrett turbos. I run IFO FIS class which limits turbos to 62mm but I have tested a few different setups now that have put me above 900whp and into the 9's pretty easy.

Shoot me a PM and I can help you out.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks Shoden. I'm not a drag racer either and this will be my first turbo Honda so maybe I'm being unrealistic with the timeslip goal...

Let's put a limit on HP - how much will a stock B-series 440 tranny with Quaife diff hold, tuned on 93 octane on and S300 or Neptune RTP and used as a daily?
Old 12-17-2015, 01:39 PM

That's based upon the capabilities of the engine in this case. A 4.4 final drive transmission is only as sitting as the person driving it. That said, it's more than capable for any power under 700whp, provided the right clutch is selected.

The stock engine of the B series family in good mechanical condition can handle about 320whp-350whp, realistically and as a practical matter. Any more than that, despite all of the interweb "research" you'll see, will seriously put your engine at risk of catastrophic failure. So, please limit yourself to that, and do not select a turbocharger that had its highest efficiency at the power level you want, because that level is over what your fuel , ignition and tuning will realistically handle.

Don't select one that is too large either, or your driveabilty will suffer horribly, and you'll be unhappy that grandma in her Kia Optima can out accelerate you.

Time to list specifically what engine and transmission combination you have, to help narrow things down.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've got a B18B1 GE sleeved block currently at 84.5, an Alaniz ported and built head, 440 tranny with type R gearing and Quaife LSD, Performer X intake, JG intake, various throttle bodies up to 70 and several cams to choose from:

GSR,
Civic Type R
Skunk Tuner 2 & 3
Skunk Pro Series 1,2 & 3

Am I still limited to 350 HP on 93 octane?
Old 12-17-2015, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by 7rrivera7
I've got a B18B1 GE sleeved block currently at 84.5, an Alaniz ported and built head, 440 tranny with type R gearing and Quaife LSD, Performer X intake, JG intake, various throttle bodies up to 70 and several cams to choose from:

GSR,
Civic Type R
Skunk Tuner 2 & 3
Skunk Pro Series 1,2 & 3

Only if you had stock pistons and rods..but it is still best to stay around 360-400whp. Otherwise, trying to get 500+whp on 93 octane resorts you to only get big turbos that are lazy and unresponsive... Peak numbers mean nothing.. Power band is key.

And what is a 440 tranny?.. Please use other verbage..
Old 12-17-2015, 03:32 PM

GSR,
Civic Type R
Skunk Tuner 2 & 3
Skunk Pro Series 1,2 & 3

Camshaft choice is determined only AFTER turbo choice and goals are made
Old 12-17-2015, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Only if you had stock pistons and rods..but it is still best to stay around 360-400whp. Otherwise, trying to get 500+whp on 93 octane resorts you to only get big turbos that are lazy and unresponsive... Peak numbers mean nothing.. Power band is key.

440 FD
Old 12-17-2015, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I need help selecting the pistons/specs and are Eagle rods good enough?
Old 12-17-2015, 05:44 PM

Let's go back again. WHAT IS THE PURPOSE/USE OF CAR? POWER GOAL?
What is a 440 Tranny?

Old 12-17-2015, 08:43 PM

440 FD
4.4 Final Drive. is what you're looking to say. That is in several different b-series transmissions. It's not that relevant of information
Old 12-18-2015, 01:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Let's go back again. WHAT IS THE PURPOSE/USE OF CAR? POWER GOAL?
What is a 440 Tranny?

Sorry for not being as specific with my goals as needed for you to assist me. Let me try and answer your questions to move forward.

WHAT IS THE PURPOSE/USE OF CAR? POWER GOAL?

1) The purpose of the car is to be used as a daily driver with full interior and A/C.
2) The power goal is as much as "safely" possible with proper tuning on 93 octane pump fuel and S300 engine management using the sleeved block and other parts I currently have available.
3) My transmission is a stock B-series hydro tranny with Quaife LSD and type R gearing

I want to convert my current high compression all motor engine to a turbo engine, swapping the parts necessary like pistons, rods, intake, injectors, throttle body and exhaust components.

I really appreciate your help. I apologize for being a n00b as this is the first time I prepare for forced induction.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Shodan let me know if I answered your questions.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:44 PM

Sorry for not being as specific with my goals as needed for you to assist me. Let me try and answer your questions to move forward.

WHAT IS THE PURPOSE/USE OF CAR? POWER GOAL?

1) The purpose of the car is to be used as a daily driver with full interior and A/C.

This is where that "Low 10's/Hi 9's" is not going to work. you'll easily need to rid yourself of those "creature comforts" in order to do that consistently without failure. The A/C compressor pulley and accessory belts don't like that being done on any regular basis for what you're going for. So, either lower the E.T. expectations, or get rid of the interior and A/C components.

2) The power goal is as much as "safely" possible with proper tuning on 93 octane pump fuel and S300 engine management using the sleeved block and other parts I currently have available.

That's still not a goal, really. Anyone can tune an unnecessarily large sized turbocharger, and get 500whp on 93 octane, and it will be HORRIBLY Peaky.. Meaning you get that 500whp for about 500rpms, but no powerband. A grandma in a Kia would beat you on the track and street. Using a slightly smaller turbocharger that makes less overall peak power, will give you better RANGE of power from 3500-8000rpms, and allow you to accelerate much more quickly. BUT, if you're trying for "Low 10s/High 9s", you're in a different class of turbocharger and power level all together.

I notice PR still lives in a DRAG STRIP world in which Power numbers and bragging rights are still a part of the game. In your effort to follow that philosophy, you're really shooting yourself in the foot; Instead of getting the best of two worlds, you get the worst of both. . So, start deciding the percentage of street/strip... 80/20 street/strip or 50/50, or 60/40.. You must do that before going forward.

3) My transmission is a stock B-series hydro tranny with Quaife LSD and type R gearing

That's perfectly fine. No need to change that for either purpose.

I want to convert my current high compression all motor engine to a turbo engine, swapping the parts necessary like pistons, rods, intake, injectors, throttle body and exhaust components.

You can keep the higher compression, just use BETTER components. The whole "lower compression is better for boost" is ridiculous in this day and age. Unless you have just a bad tuner in PR, (which you don't, I've been there) you can get the better components while staying 10.0:1 up to about 10.8:1.. and yes, with 93 Octane. BUT, for higher boost pressures, you'll need to definitely run some higher knock-resistant fuel.

I really appreciate your help. I apologize for being a n00b as this is the first time I prepare for forced induction.

It's ok, but you still have some things to narrow down and focus on... You're still in WAY too many directions to effectively plan..
Old 12-24-2015, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1) The purpose of the car is to be used as a daily driver with full interior and A/C, use 93 octane gasoline, and have a usable power band for the street making the car "fun" to drive (60/40 street/strip) and being able to kick *** against the majority of factory turboed imports and supercharged domestic muscle cars.

...hope I got it right this time :-)
Old 12-24-2015, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well since I'm assuming you forgot about those drag times, I'm pretty sure the STC Hunter would be a very solid choice for you. It's perfect for 350 hp, and is nicknamed the 'response monster' so would net you quick spooling as well. I believe TheShodan has said it's capable of somewhere around 430ish before, but you will need meth or e85 for that :p
Old 12-24-2015, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok great - thanks for the choice of turbo which I'll research in depth.

I'd like something similar to this but no specs are shared:

http://www.1320video.com/turbo-honda-crx-vs-all-arizona-streets/
Old 12-24-2015, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

That car owner said in the video it's a t3 67mm turbo, which there is no need for.

You have to really decide what you want to do, you said you're looking for a street car on pump gas with ac and all that, so listen to the other guys when they say just get a little turbo and be happy.

You want a 9 second car, it's not going to be pump gas and it's not going to be a daily driver with ac like you want.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:25 AM

That is a 2300lbs CRX with an antiquated T3/T67 turbocharger(he stated what the car had). The engine basically does what I described: no powerband, simply highway racing where he's bouncing off of the rev-limiter consistently, and although fun to catch Hellcat engines and 1200cc Bikes, is not really the most driveable. But that car is light and that helps him.

Basically, you can get several turbochargers that are 61lbs/min and above, but again, the purpose is basically for highway runs and drag racing only. That CRX has no A/C, no power steering, and no creature comforts, as he can barely squeeze any of those components into the engine bay.

Check out Lightningteg's 600whp ls/vtec build. That's as high as you're really going to need to see a great example as to what needs to be done. You'll definitely need to have a reinforced engine block with upgraded internals, only a little head-work and good fuel management and injectors/pump. Be prepared to run knock resistant fuel like C16, Q16, Meth/water or even E85, (in PR and Brasil, it is soy-based E85 and not corn-based)

Lightningteg's turbo choice and 600whp build LS/VTEC

So, for the turbocharger needed, (where you really have to re-train yourself for this car to do the same thing in your video example).

S
Old 12-28-2015, 02:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The purpose of the car is to be used as a daily driver with full interior and A/C, use 93 octane gasoline, and have a usable power band for the street making the car "fun" to drive (60/40 street/strip) and being able to kick *** against the majority of factory turboed imports and supercharged domestic muscle cars.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:14 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The purpose of the car is to be used as a daily driver with full interior and A/C, use 93 octane gasoline, and have a usable power band for the street making the car "fun" to drive (60/40 street/strip) and being able to kick *** against the majority of factory turboed imports and supercharged domestic muscle cars.
Then you need like 350-400whp, not 600whp. Plus, if your'e stuck running 93, you wont make more than ~430whp without meth/alcohol.

AC is going to make this a lot more of a PITA. I fought around it for a while, but eventually dumped it...was the best decision I made.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Schister66
Then you need like 350-400whp, not 600whp. Plus, if your'e stuck running 93, you wont make more than ~430whp without meth/alcohol.

AC is going to make this a lot more of a PITA. I fought around it for a while, but eventually dumped it...was the best decision I made.
I would agree here. Stick with 350-400 whp in this case, not 600. The crx looked like he was having serious problems driving with that much power himself..
Old 12-28-2015, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so my whp goal is set at 400 - is the STC Hunter still a good option?

Quick Reply: Turbo Suggestions