Notices

Which turbo should I get???

Old 04-18-2012, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which turbo should I get???

I'm in the market for a turbo and have a stock b16a with gsr tranny. I'm not looking to run 10's or 11's just looking for low 14 high 13's. I know of big name brand turbos out there, like turbonetics, percision, garrett and all those. Just wondering if someone could guide me in the right direction of what i should get. Not looking to spend a ton of money on just the turbo around the 250 to 350 range. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:05 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Which turbo should I get???

Originally Posted by dunkingmofo
I'm in the market for a turbo and have a stock b16a with gsr tranny. I'm not looking to run 10's or 11's just looking for low 14 high 13's. I know of big name brand turbos out there, like turbonetics, percision, garrett and all those. Just wondering if someone could guide me in the right direction of what i should get. Not looking to spend a ton of money on just the turbo around the 250 to 350 range. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
250-350 range? Get into another hobby or step your budget up. Won't happen for that price, not even for a good used unit.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For that price your not going to get much but maybe a used holset or garrett
Old 04-18-2012, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1. I'm not gettin a new hobby, 2. I'm a college student working part time, which means not a huge budget, and 3. I asked for suggestions not ridicule. Don't post if its not helpful information toward my subject!
Old 04-18-2012, 08:43 PM

1. I'm not gettin a new hobby, 2. I'm a college student working part time, which means not a huge budget, and 3. I asked for suggestions not ridicule. Don't post if its not helpful information toward my subject!
Gladly.. But honestly, and I'll be blunt about this.... If you don't want ridicule than don't ask for ridiculous expectations without first understanding the information about turbo setups that are just sticking out in those wonderful little FAQs on the top of the forum. For someone in college, you're sure not doing enough of your own research to be able to formulate the right questions... I'd ask for my money back from the registrar now before the beginning of the next term.

(I fear that another Ebay demon will soon claim the monetary soul of another hapless victim very, very soon )

I would normally say good luck, but nah, you don't need luck now, do ya...
Old 04-18-2012, 11:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have solved the issue here.... OP, why don't you purchase a PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360 with a driving simulator game ? I'd image you could pick one up easily with your budget. This way you'll truly be able to stick to your budget and do all the modding in the world for FREE without any issues.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ebay
Old 04-19-2012, 12:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by yungkhmer
ebay
Why?
Old 04-19-2012, 12:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Used 60 trim garret t3/mitsubishi 14b or 16g. They will all spool quick and support decent power, they're all well matched to a b16a.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You don't need to turbocharge your motor if all you want to run is 13's or 14's. You could possibly find a used nitrous kit that fits in your budget.

Like it was mentioned earlier, your budget is not going to get you very far, especially going down the path of boost. You can take your chances with an Ebay kit, but you would be better off saving your money, doing some homework, and spending the money to get quality parts.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by liam821
Used 60 trim garret t3/mitsubishi 14b or 16g. They will all spool quick and support decent power, they're all well matched to a b16a.
Not really.. As a matter of mathematics, yes. But for actual usability no. And that's if you find a 14b that hasn't been destroyed by a DSMer and the undgergraduate has the time, mechanical inclination and patience to create a whole downpipe and custom application to fit that turbocharger onto his setup. He's in school remember? he's gotta study too.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can't hit this game with these kind of budgets if you ask me...specially if this is your first shot at it. It's just far to unpredictable.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what is youre complete Budget? you only asked about turbo costs. Are you aware of the additional parts/labor involved?

For the amount you requested isnt even enough for the tune. Without a tune youre next thread will be " What motor to get for Swap"
Old 04-19-2012, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have everything else besides the turbo. I have 550cc injectors, precision intercooler, precision piping,godspeed ram horn manifold, 50mm bov, turboxs boost controller, got money aside to tune, and money aside to get installation. So stop stayin im cheap i already have 1000 dollars in parts for my set up. Thats why i said i just need some advice on a turbo choice. I don't have much money to play with after buying these parts, thats why I'm slightly on a budget and whoever TheShodan is, dude u must have fell out of a hate tree, damn!
Old 04-19-2012, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was in your situation as well (school and no $$) but i still held back and saved enough for a nice turbo, bc you definently don't want2 go cheap on that. So take mine and everyone else's advice and save a little more, you won't regret it
Old 04-19-2012, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I still say no, for the simple fact that its a unpredictable game where 9/10 it never goes to plan. I personally think you should wait untill your not so dependent on your car as if something goes wrong it could mess up your education.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by stowne78
I was in your situation as well (school and no $$) but i still held back and saved enough for a nice turbo, bc you definently don't want2 go cheap on that. So take mine and everyone else's advice and save a little more, you won't regret it
What he said. just wait it out until you can afford a decent unit.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have everything else besides the turbo. I have 550cc injectors, precision intercooler, precision piping,godspeed ram horn manifold, 50mm bov, turboxs boost controller, got money aside to tune, and money aside to get installation. So stop stayin im cheap i already have 1000 dollars in parts for my set up. Thats why i said i just need some advice on a turbo choice. I don't have much money to play with after buying these parts, thats why I'm slightly on a budget and whoever TheShodan is, dude u must have fell out of a hate tree, damn!
If you have all of those parts and are waiting on the turbo, why not wait and save a little longer and get a reliable turbo? You wouldn't want to replace the same part twice now do you?
Old 04-19-2012, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's not my daily i have an 06 impala i drive daily this is a toy for my spare time. I didn't mean i wanted to spend 250-350 on a whole set up just on the turbo. I'm not going with ebay i just wanted to know what kind of turbos would be worth saving for or perhaps some had good/bad experiences with certain turbos.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's not my daily i have an 06 impala i drive daily this is a toy for my spare time. I didn't mean i wanted to spend 250-350 on a whole set up just on the turbo. I'm not going with ebay i just wanted to know what kind of turbos would be worth saving for or perhaps some had good/bad experiences with certain turbos.
I just wanted to inform you that TheShodan, the person you called a "hater" is a turbo EXPERT. He is always willing to help out and is definitely not a hater.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't forget you still need a waste gate . Don't cheap out on that. Also precision sells turbo for pretty cheap but I think they are somewhere around 700 there's a member here selling a 60 to 1 turbo for 400 it wont get no better then that
Old 04-19-2012, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn this thread has seriously been SERIOUSLY misjudged. Sorry OP... people are to use to "cheap skates" on here
Old 04-19-2012, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No problem, I'm not cheap just broke at this moment. The people who were in college and tryin to have a hobby of this sort know my struggles. I just need some advice on which brands besides the main stream big brands are still good yet affordable for people like me.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by phaphon
Don't forget you still need a waste gate . Don't cheap out on that. Also precision sells turbo for pretty cheap but I think they are somewhere around 700 there's a member here selling a 60 to 1 turbo for 400 it wont get no better then that
Have a turboxs wastegate..i didnt include everything i had on that last post just a few things to show that i had most of what I need..lol
Old 04-19-2012, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you have a half radiator as well? With the ramhorn manifold your WG won't fit unless you buy a sharp bend, then bolt up the WG. I have a Precision turbo, and I love it...jus some insight for you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which turbo should I get???