Notices

Turbo Questions???

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Questions???

OKay, I have been considering going turbo and researching alot. Here are a couple questions. I am aiming to get 250 horsepower out of it daily driven, but ofcourse that is not going to happen in 6 months....probably take a year or so. By the way, This is going to be a D-series engine D16y8......Cant ditch the D-series man.

1. My engine has 107k miles, Synthetic put in every change, every 3000 miles give or take 100 miles. How long will the stock clutch last running 10 lbs of boost, this is what I plan on running until i can swap my clutch? I know oil doesnt have anything to do with the clutch, just want you to know what condition the engine is in. Stating that the engine was perfectly tuned and everything. Answer this based on personal experience.....even if your a b-series guy....how long did the clutch last for? And what clutch would you put in for my horsepower goals?

2. I am aware that with bigger compressors you get more horsepower at the same PSI as you would with a smaller compressor. But what still questions me is what is the difference between big and small exhaust sides like A/R and different wheels?

3. need help picking a turbo...for spool up times I am looking for the rights size turbo to achieve full boost at or between 3500-4500 RPM's....basically when I shift at the red line I want to stay in boost. I am only revving to stock redline (7200).....Basically I want a turbo that will give me killer mid to high end but not to big that I cant spool it up (recall what I want for spool times).

4. Last Question. What manifold would help in spooling the turbo as fast as humanely possibl?....Ive heard that different manifolds will spool identical turbos differently and Im pretty sure that you guys are going to say Love Fab or Full Race, but if you have personal experience with a manifold that is relatively cheap let me know.

5. Will the Apexi turbo kits for the 92-95 support 250 whp??? is the turbo big enough?? If this kit will in fact support it, I will just buy this kit

Take this into consideration...I only want to buy a turbo once and a manifold once. I want to run 3 inch DP and Exhaust. and Ofcourse the engine will be fully built (ie, Rods, Pistons, Sleeves, the works) Unless my horsepower goals jump to 500 or so.....To everyone on Honda-tech Thanks for all your help.

Modified by shadow103rd at 10:01 PM 1/12/2004
Old 01-12-2004, 07:56 PM

Default Re: Turbo Questions??? (shadow103rd)

bump...
Old 01-12-2004, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1. Stock clutch won't last long, five minutes to five hundred miles. Maybe. A friend is running a Clutchnet stage 2, it seems to be doing a nice job so far - he went thru a lot of clutch nightmares before he bought it, he hasn't had a single clutch problem since the install.

2. Exhaust sizes dictate when you spool, and how much of a restriction the turbine represents, which matters when you really start trying to push some power.

3. Sounds like a Greddy 15G should do you,you can hit 240 whp before you start blowing a lot of hot air and shortening your engine life. .60 trim T3 with .48 AR would be a good choice, too, and support up to or over 300 whp.

4. Anything. Those $bling$ manifolds are bullshit if you are shooting for 250 whp. If you had twice that power already and were looking for an increase, or you like to look like a stunna when you pop the hood, that is when you buy a manifold like that.

Frankly, we run stock D-series over 200 whp daily around here, I wouldn't bother building an engine for that power level. The "friend's car" I'm referring to in this thread, I do all the tuning on it. The engine runs beautifully and reliably even thought the engine life is supposed to be compromised by the amount of boost it gets fed. 6 months of a 19 y/old giving it hell daily, 4000 miles per month, and the engine doesn't even use any oil. I attribute it to a LOT of work with Uberdata, and you can replicate that sort of performance with a good standalone whether it's the freeware I advocate or Hyundaidata/EMS/etc.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:00 PM

Default Re: Turbo Questions??? (J. Davis)

I appreciate the reply....anyone else got any suggestions...
Old 01-12-2004, 09:14 PM

Apexi claims the turbos good for about 300hp. There was a post of the turbo on a b-series (b18a i think) that made 240whp at 14psi .