Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo with ITB?

Is anyone using ITB with turbos?

How hard it it to tune?

Old 11-30-2003, 12:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo with ITB? (trbcivic)

That would be a really unusual set up...what would the intake pipe look like?
Old 11-30-2003, 12:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I suppose you could do it...just put the ITB's inside of a huge plenum. There is a few stock cars that do something like this.

liam
Old 11-30-2003, 07:58 AM

Default Re: Turbo with ITB? (liam821)

have fun tunning
Old 11-30-2003, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo with ITB? (hulkhb)

**** that way too inlvolved. you can buy another manifold and have a **** oad left for other stuff. it is hard to tune for NA let alone foro fi.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:37 AM

you could just split a 2 inch charge pipe into 4 very evenly, would be hard to do if u wanted to use aluminum... but it would still retain the benefit of evenly splitting the airflow
Old 11-30-2003, 08:40 AM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts

hey! thats a pretty bad idea!
Old 11-30-2003, 09:27 AM

Default Re: (falconGSR)

RB26Dett's(Skyline twin turbo motor) have individual throttle bodies. they just have a large plenum around them to direct the air. I wanna say that they are 40mm I believe. kinda see it in these pics, notice there is no big throttlebody on the plenum.
http://www.rh9.com.au/images/DSC00423.jpg
http://www.rh9.com.au/images/DSC00398.jpg
http://www.rh9.com.au/images/DSC00347.jpg
Old 11-30-2003, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by liam821 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I suppose you could do it...just put the ITB's inside of a huge plenum. There is a few stock cars that do something like this.

liam</TD></TR></TABLE>

most of the sub 10 sec old skool rx7s and toyotas startlets, corollas do it this way.
Old 12-01-2003, 12:53 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by liam821 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

liam</TD></TR></TABLE>

Liam, I remember you got some ITB from an motorcycle, what do you think of that setup for turbo?

Most of the high out put cars like the GTR, S15 ( I think ) uses ITB turbo set-ups

Thanks
Old 12-01-2003, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Tuning ITBs is not hard, you're a bunch of stunnas who can't think out of the box.

You see my pallid scrawny meathook? That's what I think of tuning ITBs.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo with ITB? (J. Davis)

i have mine tuned fine. i mean things like syncing the blades was the hardest part. thats all.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by trbcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Liam, I remember you got some ITB from an motorcycle, what do you think of that setup for turbo?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im sure it would work. However i dont really know how much better a ITB setup would be from a good sized throttle body and intake manifold. People have made 600whp on a stock b16 intake manifold.

liam
Old 12-01-2003, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im sure it would work. However i dont really know how much better a ITB setup would be from a good sized throttle body and intake manifold. People have made 600whp on a stock b16 intake manifold.

liam</TD></TR></TABLE>

Liam's right.

ITBs are a really nasty NA setup if you can afford the sort of engine that will run them without losing all throttle response. FI + ITBs is just a form of technical engineering masturbation, to prove you can. They are interesting to see, and are interesting to tune, but nothing speshul when the ponies hit the ground.

Old 12-01-2003, 12:09 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> FI + ITBs is just a form of technical engineering masturbation, to prove you can. </TD></TR></TABLE>
HT quote of teh day!!!!
Old 12-01-2003, 01:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Liam's right.

ITBs are a really nasty NA setup if you can afford the sort of engine that will run them without losing all throttle response. FI + ITBs is just a form of technical engineering masturbation, to prove you can. They are interesting to see, and are interesting to tune, but nothing speshul when the ponies hit the ground.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dunno, until we see some back to back results on the same motor we can't tell for sure. But nissan didn't just put ITB's on RB26DETT's and some SR20DET's for ***** and giggles, don't you think?
Old 12-01-2003, 01:22 PM

Default Re: Turbo with ITB? (boosted92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I dunno, until we see some back to back results on the same motor we can't tell for sure. But nissan didn't just put ITB's on RB26DETT's and some SR20DET's for ***** and giggles, don't you think?</TD></TR></TABLE>i agree but lotta other car companies have done weird htinsg, like VW 20v 1.8T engine uses a MAP and MAF, for ***** and giggles? nope , why i odnt know,
Old 12-01-2003, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Liam's right.

</TD></TR></TABLE>LOL...nice wording!
Old 12-01-2003, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo with ITB? (boosted92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
But nissan didn't just put ITB's on RB26DETT's and some SR20DET's for ***** and giggles, don't you think?</TD></TR></TABLE>

my sentiments exactly... bmw has been using itb's for literally decades, going back to the '70's, when it was mechanically injected itb's... nobody knows more about itb's than they do, and they are still putting 'em on their supercars today.

bmw has kicked some major *** in the racing world with itb's.

if there is a problem with throttle response when running itb's, it's usually because they are too big for the application, or they are out of sync... sync'ing 'em is easy, set the blade closing gap relative to the throttle bore before installing on the car, then use a $35 airflow meter to fine-tune.

why would you want 'em on a turbo car? one thing might be superior off-boost throttle response, that you can't get with a plenum-based intake system... don't know that they would make more overall h.p., tho.

craig paisley had a nice set of itb's on his v-8 nitrous motor last year.
Old 12-01-2003, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo with ITB? (danimal)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by danimal &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if there is a problem with throttle response when running itb's, it's usually because they are too big for the application, or they are out of sync... sync'ing 'em is easy, set the blade closing gap relative to the throttle bore before installing on the car, then use a $35 airflow meter to fine-tune.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I use $1.75 homebrew manometer for such things. Mine's more accurate than the last carb synch toolk I purchased, which still languishes in my toolbox to this day.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by danimal &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why would you want 'em on a turbo car? one thing might be superior off-boost throttle response, that you can't get with a plenum-based intake system.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just to be an argumentative *****, Nissan gets throttle response by putting tiny *** turbos that spool early onto their engines.

Also, when 25% TP (throttle position) on ITBs ideally sized for NA use nets you more flow than a conventional TB/plenum at 75% TP, I respectfully suggest that the off boost throttle response you are experiencing is the turbo spooling. Only way I can see to sidestep that is to use tiny (by NA ideal) ITBs so the throttle plates act as a restriction to flow at part throttle.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:51 PM

My friend's ITB TURBO tuned HachiRoku

Old 12-01-2003, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo with ITB? (EndlessGarageEG6)

that is one of the hottest corolla's ive ever seen!
awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

to boost it all you would do it make a small box around the the throttle boddies..so its like making an intake mani with individual throttles inside..
no point like j.davis said...just for "show" really imo even though you cant even see the itb's.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo with ITB? (SiRkid)

That is a badass Corrolla!!!
Old 12-01-2003, 09:09 PM
Dee
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Turbo with ITB? (SiRkid)

Turbo ITB's come stock on Skyline GTR's and Nissan GTiR's. As long as you have a tight seal on the plenum area the setup will perform flawlessly. Longer funnels will be needed to connect the plenum to the ITB's on street-prepped motors.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:26 PM

Default Re: Turbo with ITB? (Dee)

teamrice.org has some nice cars esp. that corolla... thas my future setup once my friend moves and sells me his AE

Quick Reply: Turbo with ITB?