Notices

Turbo issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo issues

Well, it seems that my turbo it shot. I pulled off the turbo and manifold a few weeks ago and found oil inside the turbo on the exhaust side. I sent my turbo off to CheapTurbo.com for them to give me an estimate on a rebuild.

I guess the seals on the inside of the turbo are shot and I am also in need of a new carbon seal. The oil inside the turbo had some fine contaminant in it that scarred the housing and caused the damage. It's going to cost $425 for the turbo to be rebuilt.

Would it be worth it to have the turbo rebuilt for that price or to just get a new turbo? If anyone knows where I am able to get some good prices on quality turbos, let me know. The turbo is a Garrett T3 60 trim and I would be loking for the same type of turbo. I like the T3 setup because it spools rather quickly and provides enough power all the way to redline.

Also, does anyone know what could have caused this problem? It was suggested that it could be a bad bearing in the lower end of the engine that caused the fine contaminant to get into the turbo and damage it. Any input would help.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Turbo issues (donnie4p)

there are alot of reasons your seals could have blown on the turbo..

how many miles were on it.
how moch boost were you running.
what does your return line look like.

im not sure how a bad bearing in the lower end of the engine would cause a turbo to blow it's seals. what makes you think you have a bad bearing. you would have other issue's if you did

platinum.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo issues (platinum00)

What size feed line are you running?

I would not question the ability of cheapturbo to rebuild a turbo, I'm sure they would return it good as new, and warranty their work also. But its really up to your personal preference and budget. You may be tempted to get a Super 60 off ebay from down2turbo, but don't.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:08 AM

Default Re: Turbo issues (tegunderpressure)

I was running 8psi and there were no miles on the turbo. This happened almost immediately after installation.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:21 AM

Default Re: Turbo issues (donnie4p)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by donnie4p &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was running 8psi and there were no miles on the turbo. This happened almost immediately after installation.</TD></TR></TABLE>

did you prime it to get oil running through it first?