Notices

Turbo Integra randomly dying...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Integra randomly dying...

Pretty much the car randomly dies without any rhyme or reason..so far I have not been able to get it to actually die on purpose, usually it is while driving. It seems to happen most after going from a stop but it does randomly lose power and will die. Both instances when it dies the car will not start until about 5 minutes of sitting

One time I went to start it at home and it would not start, I tested the dizzy by putting a spark plug on a wire and I saw spark, although it was blueish purple and it sparked after about 2 more cranks until the car came on.

I have a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel filter and it is around 35-40 psi on prime and while idle. One thing I have been able to figure out is that it will die not while idling. So far I have tried two dizzys, a fuel pump, another ecu with s300 and a main relay.

The fuel pump comes on consistantly even when it wont start and stays on during driving as well.

Its tuned was running fine for about a year and a half and I am pretty confident it might some type of fuel issue, maybe fpr or injectors? Or I am even open to the idea of bad wiring, but I have no idea where to even look.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-26-2010, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Integra randomly dying...

maybe its heat related since the fact that it wont start til about 5 minutes after it dies... sorry couldnt chime in more
Old 04-26-2010, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What map sensor are you running? it could be going bad
Old 04-26-2010, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

x2, try a new map. if not that then try another ecu just for fun. i've seen them go bad or maybe it is damp and wet.. also search for a bad ground wire.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the omnipower 4 bar map sensor I think my friend might have another one like it maybe I can try and use.

Thanks for the ideas so far ill also check my main grounds once again as well.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Had this problem show up on a few Hondas I know of and it always turned out to be the distributor. The car would just randomly stop working while cruising on the interstate for a few miles. After cooling down for awhile it would start right back up like nothing happened and go for another few miles. Really strange. Replacing the ignitor in the distributor seemed to do the trick everytime. I'd recommend replacing the entire distributor though because if the ignitor crapped out how long will it be till the coil goes with it.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup the distributor did this too me... everyone kept telling me it was my dizzy and i couldnt see how but it fixed it..
Old 04-26-2010, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive tried two different dizzys one was oem and one was brand new aftermarket and still same issues so I doubt it is that..
Old 04-27-2010, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Checked the engine grounds and they all looked physically fine, there was no frayed or burnt wires, but the ground wire thats on the front of the engine was a pretty loose so I tightened it back up. I believe I read somewhere that the ground on the t stat housing was the one for the fuel pump correct?

If not does anyone know where the ground to the fuel pump is in a integra?
Old 04-27-2010, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Could be lots of different things....I would start with the coil inside the distributor and then the ignitor. I could also be the main relay under the dash. Those were the problems I have seen the most.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by johnsc2235
Could be lots of different things....I would start with the coil inside the distributor and then the ignitor. I could also be the main relay under the dash. Those were the problems I have seen the most.
Tried two different dizzys and a main relay already doubt thats the issue...
Old 04-29-2010, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The Tstat ground is for the ECU so in turn it is for the fuel pump as well. I would be more suspect of wiring than anything else. Check the wiring at the ecu, if you have made ANY splices into the factory harness, that would be the first place to check.
If you did a wire tuck, check for where the wire would have to come back through or around the sheetmetal for cuts. Double check your fuel pump wiring is not loose.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TurboChurch
The Tstat ground is for the ECU so in turn it is for the fuel pump as well. I would be more suspect of wiring than anything else. Check the wiring at the ecu, if you have made ANY splices into the factory harness, that would be the first place to check.
If you did a wire tuck, check for where the wire would have to come back through or around the sheetmetal for cuts. Double check your fuel pump wiring is not loose.
The harness has never been cut, but I am suspecting a wiring issue as well..I have pretty much checked all the grounds on the front harness, I am going to try to start checking the grounds on the rear harness later today.

I am thinking it might be a bad ground somewhere...just have to find it =/
Old 04-30-2010, 03:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check inside the ecu to make sure your hardware/chip is pushed securely into the ecu if this is a tuned stock based ecu. If its an AEM/other then check something else.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive checked the ECU and the s300 is in the ecu just fine. I finally was able to check the fuel pressure when it died and the pump was priming, but there was no fuel pressure. After about 15 minutes the car suddently regained pressure and started right up.

I did run fuel injection cleaner through the car and changed the fuel filter as soon as this happened since I have not done it in about 2 years. So my question's are is it possible for there to be a electrical problem that causes the pump to prime but not provide pressure to the system? I have seen people get bad fuel pumps or they take a **** pretty quick so I know it is possible, but I really dont wont to get another pump if it does not solve the issue.

Any advice from this point would be helpful.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check your fuel pressure regulator before assuming its the pump. Its easier to get to, change and is cheaper as well. regulator and pump are the only things that cause lack of fuel pressure
Old 05-04-2010, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check your oil return line to see if its kinked!
this just happened to me
a scattered motor and blown turbo later
here i stand
Old 05-04-2010, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've had this happen 3x. Two of those three was the ignition switch, takes 20 minutes to change(and no you don't need to change the tumbler/key, just the switch). The contacts on them get pitted and after a while stop working randomly from bad contacts, heat also makes the symptoms worse. From the pitted bad connection it creates lots of heat and can melt the solder on the outside of the switch.

The other time it was a dizzy, but sense you've already changed that twice I would suspect the ignition switch. Since it's so easy to take off and get to, I would at least inspect it. There's some good posts about it with pictures of what bad and good ones look like. Search for those and check yours.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check your fuel pressure regulator before assuming its the pump. Its easier to get to, change and is cheaper as well. regulator and pump are the only things that cause lack of fuel pressure
I can check the FPR, but the gauge is not on the rail it is on the filter so would the FPR still affect the pressure at that point or no?
Old 05-04-2010, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EasternBandit
I've had this happen 3x. Two of those three was the ignition switch, takes 20 minutes to change(and no you don't need to change the tumbler/key, just the switch). The contacts on them get pitted and after a while stop working randomly from bad contacts, heat also makes the symptoms worse. From the pitted bad connection it creates lots of heat and can melt the solder on the outside of the switch.

The other time it was a dizzy, but sense you've already changed that twice I would suspect the ignition switch. Since it's so easy to take off and get to, I would at least inspect it. There's some good posts about it with pictures of what bad and good ones look like. Search for those and check yours.
Ill check it out and see just to be sure, but most of the time with those issues ive seen people wiggle their keys and it would start. But better safe than sorry although I am pretty sure it is a fuel issue at this point.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, gauge at filter will show pressure as long as fuel pump is pushing into the filter and the regulator is at the other end of the fuel rail. If there is a pump after the gauge ( like an in-line pump) going to the rail and then to regulator then you will see very little pressure if any depending on the gauge becuase the in-tank pump isnt building any pressure really to send it to the next pump.

Regulators do fail, aftermarket ones tend to fail more often than OEM, and if you have a modified OEM then I would replace that first.

Turn on the fuel pump in the S300 and check the gauge, then replace the regulator and try it again. Dont forget to put the setting back to stock in S300 before you are done if this is the fix.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, gauge at filter will show pressure as long as fuel pump is pushing into the filter and the regulator is at the other end of the fuel rail. If there is a pump after the gauge ( like an in-line pump) going to the rail and then to regulator then you will see very little pressure if any depending on the gauge becuase the in-tank pump isnt building any pressure really to send it to the next pump.

Regulators do fail, aftermarket ones tend to fail more often than OEM, and if you have a modified OEM then I would replace that first.

Turn on the fuel pump in the S300 and check the gauge, then replace the regulator and try it again. Dont forget to put the setting back to stock in S300 before you are done if this is the fix.
Got another OEM fpr and didnt change the issue =/ I supposse there is a wiring issue. I checked all of the grounds on the rear harness for the fuel pump and they all looked fine to me, there was no obvious tears and the metal looked clean.

At this point the only thing to suspect is the wiring I would assume..
Old 05-10-2010, 04:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How old is the pump that is in the tank? OEM or Walbro/Walbro knockoff? Walbro in the past and especially Walbro Knockoffs had an issue with the pressure relief spring on top of the pump failing causing the pump not to build enough if any pressure but the pump would run.

Put your fuel line at your filter in a bucket and turn the pump on in the S300 and see if it has good flow and then try to restrict the flow ( finger, bolt, crimping hose) and see if it sprays harder like a garden hose. yes I know this is a fire hazard, but so are most things on your car. Confirm the pump is or is not the problem for fuel pressure.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The pump I bought was new and was having issues, I know the old one was having issues for sure just due to the amount of cranks it took to start after the new one was installed.

I also got another pump from another car I know is working JUST to be sure and it still died

Both pumps were 255 high flow walbro pumps. At this point I dont think it is a pump issue but a electrical issue within the fuel system..