Notices

turbo install start up help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 04:40 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo install start up help.

So I finally finished installing all my turbo parts and I started it up. I unplugged the distributor plug and turned it over numerous times to prime the oil lines to no starve the turbo on startup. My problem is that the idle wasnt steady at first and vacuum was going crazy and idle would climb and drop climb and drop...it steadied out for a little as well as my vacuum (only around 15 in) but then idle dropped again...

I didnt leave it running but about 2 minutes because I was in a garage and smoke was everywhere...so I was gonna wait til sunday when its a little warmer and can diagnos it outside.. but I was wondering as to what I should be looking for?

- Vacuum leak??
- also I still have in the stock injectors and stock ecu so it should idle as normal right??
- Haven't wired up my 02 sensor yet, because now its in the front of the car on the downpipe so I have to extend the wires...but that shouldnt cause it to idle poorly...

Let me know what I should be looking for on sunday...

Thanks guys
Old 01-17-2009, 05:14 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: turbo install start up help.

So I got to work on it a little bit today and got the o2 sensor wired up. After letting it idle for a few minutes it leveled out a little after idle surging the whole time, but was only idling at 600rpm and 15 in of vacuum... before installing everything my vacuum was 20ish... is it because I have more vacuum hoses (ie:wastegate,vacuum manifold,bov)

Will my tuner adjust my idle and all that stuff? Sorry this is my first time for all of this and im trying to learn... Please somebody say something
Old 01-19-2009, 06:11 PM

well if I get this correct, you are turbo but running a stock ecu? first off, your ecu must be either chipped or running some type of engine management. second, people might say differently, but i believe the best way is to tow your car to the tuner and let him handle the rest. double check all your sensors and vacuum hookups and make sure there is no vac leaks which would cause bad idles. make sure all your vac hoses is secure correctly with either clamps or zipties.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:11 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

just trying to fix all the kinks before I take it to the tuner, plus its still on stock injectors so why wouldnt I be able to use the stock ecu??

So I fiddled around with it a little this weekend...

I sprayed carb cleaner everywhere and could find no vacuum leaks. But I have a question...
I have a catch can running off the back 2 ports on the block so my black box/pcv system is deleted so I plugged off the hose that usually goes to the PCV valve (GSR IM)
but I tried unplugging the hose and my car has no idle surge and steady 16in of vacuum...
Everywhere I have read has said to keep it plugged, but how come this fixes my problem???

Also would I be fine if I removed my wastegate spring and drove it on stock injectors/ecu to get to the muffler shop? (to have my dp welded to my exhaust??

Please someone help
Old 01-20-2009, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did you say you primed the engine by pulling the dizzy plug? cuz wont you still be dumping fuel, just no spark by doing so... if so, you may have severely flooded the motor and fouled the plugs.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i concur with that ^^