Notices

turbo h22a

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 12:31 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo h22a

installed a turbokits.com kit on my 97 accord. the thing came with a throttle body spacer that has 2 additional injectors in it. they are operated by some management system that came in the kit. there is also a 2nd fpr for them. well i hooked everything up just right. got it all wired just where everything goes and now im thinking i might have wasted my time. the car will not run right. under load its horrible. a/f is all over the place. A local shop said they wouldn't even touch it with this setup. Did i waste a lot of time and money on all this unnecessary stuff? I'm only looking for around 5-6 psi. Should i tear it all out and just go with a ecu repro and injectors or what?

little help would be greatly appreciated. TIA

so you can visualize what im talking about.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I havent been in the honda scene long, but i have never seen or heard of anything like that. Most people just run bigger injectors in place of the stock ones (like RC 440s or 550s) and get a ECU chipped with some sort of program (Crome, Hondata, etc.)
Old 02-20-2008, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (carrnut21)

"FUN" lol..

tear it all out and go with something reputable. write it off as a lesson learned.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (carrnut21)

get that crap out of there.

i had a car come to me once that had all that stuff on there. i said the same thing as the shop you went to.

after relooking though all of those pictures, do i even want to ask what that set up goes for?
Old 02-20-2008, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Turbo-charged)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo-charged &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">get that crap out of there.

i had a car come to me once that had all that stuff on there. i said the same thing as the shop you went to.

after relooking though all of those pictures, do i even want to ask what that set up goes for?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've got a car in the shop with that same garbage. Why is it in the shop? Because that glorious EMS blew the guys engine up.

Look into AEM, Hondata, Neptune, Crome/Uberdata for EMS's. H22a's are finicky and advanced timing LOVES to crack ringlands.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow. That looks like a pretty convoluted setup that apparently doesn't work. I don't really see the point in using additional injectors and an FMU. That just seems really odd. I also don't see any check valves to keep the ECU from seeing boost, nor do I see an inline pump to boost fuel pressure to keep up with the FMU. Do you know what ratio that FMU is? You should probably see if anyone has ever gotten a similar setup running successfully. However, given the relative obscurity of that particular setup, you probably won't be too lucky. If the manufacturer of that kit has any sort or customer service or support forums, I would look there first.

Your best option, like stated above, is to run some larger injectors(in your fuel rail, ditch that spacer deal and the mystery control box) with an appropriate management system and have it tuned by a reputable tuner.

Your other option would be to see if that FMU is a 12:1 unit. If it is, you would need to add an inline fuel pump before the rail, ditch the spacers/additional injectors, and add a check valve(s) before the MAP sensor to keep it from seeing boost. You'll run pretty rich with this setup, it can't really be tuned, and you'll need to lower your base ignition timing or run one of those boost/timing retard boxes, but this is what people ran for years before stuff like Hondata got widespread.

Modified by inspyral at 7:35 PM 2/20/2008
Old 02-20-2008, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (inspyral)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by inspyral &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your other option would be to see if that FMU is a 12:1 unit. If it is, you would need to add an inline fuel pump before the rail, ditch the spacers/additional injectors, and add a check valvyour base ignition timing or run one of those boost/timing retard boxes, but this is what people ran for years before stuff like Hondata got widespread.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep. I was rocking a FMU/check valves back in '99 when turbo honda's were unheard of.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:33 AM

That **** looks nasty

Get that **** taken out & then

Find yourself a Crome / Neptune tuner get yourself a Socketed P28 some 440cc injectors take these parts to him and get him to set your car up properly.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:06 AM

Default Re: (UK Accord)

pull that throttle body spacer crap off get some injectors and ems tune it, also make sure you gaped the plugs down to about .28
Old 02-21-2008, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PrecisionH23a)

thats not an H22. More like an F22.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mikey3000)

haha i didnt even noticed that!
Old 02-21-2008, 11:36 AM

Default Re: (Turbo-charged)

no way! that is a sohc h22a!

My advice, don't run injectors upstream of dry manifold. Poor fuel mixture is going to run her lean and make things worse.

You can keep the turbo and the piping, but say goodbye to the fmu and tb injectors before you say goodbye to your engine first. Get larger injectors and better engine system management.

If not, I would check fuel pressure at both regs, and make sure that the 2nd isn't dropping the pressure from the primary. Your pump probably doesn't supply enough fuel to run two regs.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:43 AM
Trial User

Default Re: (Scheizty)

thanks a lot guys. i really appreciate the input. After reading around in this forum i've been thinking the same thing. rip all that crap back out of there and run bigger injectors / ecu and what not. i really don't want to bother trying to get this pos working.

oh and its a turbokits.com kit and it was well over 2k.

its an expensive lesson learned.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:41 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The extra injector method of "tuning" was outdated like 10 years ago...i'm surprised that people are still using it. I feel bad for you having to deal with this...

Its a lesson learned i guess...
Old 02-25-2008, 02:24 PM
* B A N N E D *

Thats the TSI kit I'm pretty sure....its an ok cheap kit...a lot of guys that I used to chat with driving 01-05 civics were rocking those kits...the only thing thats really crappy about them is the fuel setup that comes with it...other than that they're actually not too bad if you're just looking for something to start with and get boost experience with.

edit: oh yeah and believe it or not, the same guys I used to talk with also used those additional injectors and management system and were able to get the cars to run pretty decently (13's in the 1/4) by street tuning with a wideband.

Modified by EASY101 at 3:40 PM 2/25/2008
Old 04-25-2008, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EASY101)

Wow and wow again. Yeah that is not a H22A, probably a F22?? Still, if I were you I would take all that stuff out and do a custom turbo setup - remember that not only is your fuel management important in a turbo setup, but actually EVERYTHING that goes into the turbo setup is. Take your time and do it right man! Good Luck and sorry about your misfortune with that crap.