Notices

turbo cause dizzy to fail?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo cause dizzy to fail?

2000 civic si b16a2. i just finished my turbo install, everything legit, injectors are in, chipped pherable ecu in and the car idles perfect sounds amazing. pull out of the drive way everything seems smooth take off easy then start to ease into boost then hammer down and pulls good then a slight stutter then shift and more sputter then put in neutral and car dies and wouldnt start. i checked myself today and the walbro 255 is pumping the fuel and the precision injectors are spraying with the chipped ecu(as well the stock do with stock ecu still) but still no start. plugs/wires dont seem bad at all but dont spark when grounded. check the rotor button and its a little burnt so replace it and the cap. still nothing. noone local can test my coil($80) or icm($115) and there is a small crack on one of the black boxes inside the dizzy(that appears to count the rotation maybe?) so would i be giving up too soon if i buy a newly remanufactured dizzy from the part store tomorrow? it will come with a new coil and icm installed in it already. i just cant think of anything else it could be. please help lol also wondering could the chipped ecu with basemap been a little more too keep up with the fuel than the old dizzy could handle?

Last edited by si-t2000; 03-31-2012 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Added a question.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo cause dizzy to fail?

ummmm the million dollar question

ARE YOU TUNED
Old 03-31-2012, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not dyno tuned yet I assumed the base map that I gave details for would allow my car to be driveable to the tuner. Even without a tune I should get spark shouldn't I? I'm not asking about the stutter im wondering why I'm getting no spark
Old 03-31-2012, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

problem solved you probly in limp mode or you ****ed something up hard lesson to learn

but you didnt drive it to a tuner you did this

pull out of the drive way everything seems smooth take off easy then start to ease into boost then hammer down and pulls good then a slight stutter then shift and more sputter then put in neutral and car dies and wouldnt start

driving to a tuner means out of positive pressure, and well you didnt do that now did you
Old 03-31-2012, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Basemap should be used go gently drive to your tuner. Wouldn't "hammer down" if I were you.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know that I shouldn't have done it but I did and it's over with ppl drive hard with out even having a basemap and usually nothing happens, I'm
Not asking if I should've tuned before hammering down Im only asking why would there be no spark? And how would I know if the car is in limp mode? And how do you get it out of limp mode?
Old 03-31-2012, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

because you shot the ecu into a mode you probly dont wanna be in man it seen positive pressure

wanna listen or argue all night long
Old 03-31-2012, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

go pull the cable off the battery let it sit for a while then plug it back in and maybe it will reset
Old 03-31-2012, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1 to 2 psi is all an untuned car should ever see
Old 03-31-2012, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have pulled the negative off many times and also swapped stock ecu and injectors back in and still wouldn't start. My dizzy has a crack on one of the sensors could this be causing the no spark or will limp mode cause no spark? It is getting fuel and turns over but don't start. I'm Not arguing but I understand I should not have boosted until tuned but right now I'm just asking for help with these questions?^
Old 03-31-2012, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

first things first the turbo didnt cause the dizzy to crap out lol

now yes the crack can be your issue is it the ignitor that sits ontop on the inside that the spring sits in that makes contact with the inside of the cap and distribute the spark
Old 03-31-2012, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also check the fuses under the hood as well
Old 03-31-2012, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Fuses are good and it's not the icm or coil it's one that's kinda in the middle and looks like when the thing rotates it would sense it maybe? I didn't think the turbo would actually cause the fail but maybe the base map did something to up the spark and the dizzy couldn't keep up, maybe just a coincidence lol but replacing it definitely ain't a bad idea right? I'm just trying to get it started so I can drive it to get a tune then dd it
Old 03-31-2012, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you got a friend with the same dizzy its better to test than to buy and cheaper also
Old 03-31-2012, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No I wish I did but just curious would limp mode cause a no start? I've always heard of it as limp home mode cause it'll make it around just not any power.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well it depends think of it like this

you nailed it and do you know what the boost went to i mean are you on a mbs or ebc, and do you have a gage

think like this lean kills cars right, and when you boost the **** out of a untuned car it supplies a **** tone of air and you dont have the fuel map to add the fuel needed at that psi level to match up. so maybe it went lean and the motor shitted out on you
Old 03-31-2012, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by si-t2000
Fuses are good and it's not the icm or coil it's one that's kinda in the middle and looks like when the thing rotates it would sense it maybe? I didn't think the turbo would actually cause the fail but maybe the base map did something to up the spark and the dizzy couldn't keep up, maybe just a coincidence lol but replacing it definitely ain't a bad idea right? I'm just trying to get it started so I can drive it to get a tune then dd it
There are 2 different dizzys, a Hitachi and a TEC. I am assuming that you have the TEC dizzy as that is the more common one. This black box you speak of is the TDC/CKP/CYP sensor. Basically it is a magnetic pick-up style sensor that looks for top dead center of cylinder #1 (TDC), and detects engine speed, and determines injection and ignition timing for each cylinder. If it is cracked, this may be your problem. If the ECU cannot see TDC then it will not know when to fire any of the plugs. I am not sure if it goes into a mode where it does not fire any spark plugs or not, but I imagine that it does. Do you have any check engine lights on?
Old 03-31-2012, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Outside of the train wreck that is this thread, the bad decisions and questionable advice, i have this to ad- before you go out and replace the entire dizzy (icm and igniter coil ) find an ohm meter / voltmeter and probe put the distributor components you currently have. It is very easy and will let you know exactly what the issue is, whether it no dizzy related or not. Ignition problems are among my favorites to diagnose because they are quite simple, usually.

The resistance specifications can be found in the factory service manual, or you can probably simply google them. I can provide them and the procedure to you when I get back to my shop Monday if you haven't given up by then.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh ya, and limp mode will not cause a no spark issue. That's why it is called "limp mode," it goes to a set of "safe" parameters so that you can limp your car home or to a shop to fix it. And even if you blew up your motor, you should still be getting a spark.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get off the porch and give up the advice and tolerances
Old 03-31-2012, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rclark
Outside of the train wreck that is this thread, the bad decisions and questionable advice, i have this to ad- before you go out and replace the entire dizzy (icm and igniter coil ) find an ohm meter / voltmeter and probe put the distributor components you currently have. It is very easy and will let you know exactly what the issue is, whether it no dizzy related or not. Ignition problems are among my favorites to diagnose because they are quite simple, usually.

The resistance specifications can be found in the factory service manual, or you can probably simply google them. I can provide them and the procedure to you when I get back to my shop Monday if you haven't given up by then.
AGREE!!
Old 03-31-2012, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sanman000719
get off the porch and give up the advice and tolerances
Not probing the ignition coil is flat out lazy. And an untuned car shouldnt see any boost at all, it's foolishness to get into positive pressure at all. And limp mode will allow a car to still start...

Re-reading the thread darrycar hit the nail on the head. The thing in the middle is probably the crank position sensor, without that operating correctly the car won't start.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes mine is the tec brand and it's cracked in that spot, no lights on with stock ecu and won't start and no light on chipped obd1 ecu that dont start either. It only hit 7psi on the gauge(which is my spring rate)and only a couple seconds. I told the ppl chipping the ecu I would have 440s running 7 psi. I will try testing the parts suggested before I buy the dizzy. Thanks. If it did lean out and take a **** would I be able to tell by a compression test? I still just don't see the no spark being anything that's not dizzy(and dizzy internal) related
Old 03-31-2012, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was playing with ya man after reading your sig lol

i agree limp mode will alow it to start as well

the spark is either dizzy related or not power to the dizzy man

stock honda dizzy is junk period thats why most people just run external coils with them. i hae bee stuck on te side of te road many night because f th ignitor coil myself infact in started carryng an extra one
Old 03-31-2012, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's not too bad really, they work to 400+ whp in my experience /knowledge. If you have no spark, work out that issue first. Once that's worked out, if the car doesn't start still, start looking for other answers. A leak down / compression test certainly wouldnt hurt at that point if its still acting up. Good luck

Quick Reply: turbo cause dizzy to fail?