Notices

Turbo build done, engine bay video, need feedback

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Turbo build done, engine bay video, need feedback

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh48vgTFmlU

I know a brake booster line isnt plugged in. Is it ok to mount the BOV upside down?
The hose connected to the TB next to the map sensor is the line from the BOV, is this spot OK to put that line or should I put it elsewhere?

Any ideas on how to fix the oil leak from the oil feed? Its only that bolt that is leaking. Also, it looks like oil is leaking from the dip stick?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSkFDcmqIXU

And with the second video, is the BOV sound normal? I have a greddy type rs. (currently redline at 4.5k until its tuned, 4psi max) It sounds like compressor surge but I may be wrong. Also it sounds like I have a boost leak after the turbo and before the intercooler. Thats where I hear the loud whipple after I let off the throttle (the bov is on the other side)

Any feed back on anything you see will greatly appreciated!
Old 04-13-2012, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Turbo build done, engine bay video, need feedback

Bov isn't opening. The type rs is a high pitch sound your just hearing comp surge
Old 04-13-2012, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

On the BOV there is has a way to adjust it, I think it said soft and hard, if I change it to soft, should the surge go away?
Old 04-13-2012, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes adjust it till it starts to open with engine at if it doesn't open just adjust it and take for a ride and see if it opens. Keep adjusting till surge goes away.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you, appreciate it.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No problem good luck sir
Old 04-13-2012, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whats with all the ricers driving up and down.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1. Do you have a gasket sandwhich'ed in between the turbo line and the turbo? Mine leaked till I replaced that gasket. A 12mm Honda bolt would also fit, try that if you want to tighten it a little more.

2. Get the correct B series radiator, not D series. That upper radiator hose is too large.

3. Use T clamps instead of those snail clamps on the cold pipe. They may work now but theyll start blowing off in the future.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:09 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
Bov isn't opening. The type rs is a high pitch sound your just hearing comp surge
that's not compressor surge in that second one, that's the bov fluttering because it doesn't have a good vacuum source. That TB tap is not where one would do that. go from the intake manifold.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Arthas
1. Do you have a gasket sandwhich'ed in between the turbo line and the turbo? Mine leaked till I replaced that gasket. A 12mm Honda bolt would also fit, try that if you want to tighten it a little more.

2. Get the correct B series radiator, not D series. That upper radiator hose is too large.

3. Use T clamps instead of those snail clamps on the cold pipe. They may work now but theyll start blowing off in the future.

Yes i have a gasket inbetween the turbo and oil feed. I'll go buy a honda bolt next week.

The radiator works. The car hasnt gotten any hotter since turboing. I wrapped my DP, plus an extra lair next to the radiator.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
that's not compressor surge in that second one, that's the bov fluttering because it doesn't have a good vacuum source. That TB tap is not where one would do that. go from the intake manifold.
Can you tell me which one exactly? There is a large hose on the front near the valve cover? I read that the bov needs it own source, and it should not be shared with any other vacuum lines.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Can anyone tell me how to adjust the bov? I loosened the nut on top but I have no clue what to do, hence Its still installed upside down and didnt get a good look at it. I loosened the nut, put it back on finger tight, still have compressor surge
Old 04-13-2012, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you using allen L shaped keys to tighten that bolt down? You might not be tightening it hard enough since its an awkward location and you cant put enough torque with them.

Take one off and go to a hardware store to get one of the same thread pitch. It can also be any 12mm bolt from your car.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Arthas
Are you using allen L shaped keys to tighten that bolt down? You might not be tightening it hard enough since its an awkward location and you cant put enough torque with them.

Take one off and go to a hardware store to get one of the same thread pitch. It can also be any 12mm bolt from your car.

So possibly it could be the bolt is ****?

Yes, L shaped. I put a lot of strength into it, and i'm a big dude. I bought umm kobalt brand or whatever is sold at lowes and it came with a plastic thing to torque them with better leverage but I didnt use it. I don't want to over torque it
Old 04-13-2012, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I adjusted the BOV with a allen wrench, all it did was make the bov leak boost when under acceleration, and the compressor surge is still there. I'll play with it some more tomorrow. I wrenched it back to the way it was, yet I can still hear leaking from the bov, or it could be leaking from the pipe around the BOV. will update tomorrow.

Oh I put a T fitting into the PVC hose to the intake, which is what the BOV is connected to.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dont connect the bov to the pcv valve hose. Connect the bov hose directly to the intake manifold. Check to see if the oil inlet flange is cracked thats common for ebay ones they suck. You shouldnt even really be using the stock pcv setup anyways on a boosted car
Old 04-14-2012, 12:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wouldn't drive the car until you have a proper catch can setup. Oil coming out of the dipstick means you are building tons of crankcase pressure because it has nowhere to go. Will kill your rings in no time
Old 04-14-2012, 01:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

****, which port on the intake manifold? What do you suggest me doing with the pcv valve? Ive heard just take it off?
Old 04-14-2012, 01:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Could I run a line from the pcv valve to a oil catch can, and one line from my valve cover?
Old 04-14-2012, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Get a vented catch can....remove the pcv valve, and run a hose from the black box on the back of the block(where the pcv is hooked into) to the catch can, then also run a line from the valve cover vent to the catch can....hook up you bov to the intake manifold port where the pcv used to hooked up too, and done...
Old 04-14-2012, 05:24 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by TravisBiggie
Can you tell me which one exactly? There is a large hose on the front near the valve cover? I read that the bov needs it own source, and it should not be shared with any other vacuum lines.
I said Intake manifold. That may mean finding a fitting on the IM, or you may have to tap on in. The valvecover port is crank case pressure. you don't want to plug a vacuum line there.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so for now am I safe to keep the pvc to intake hose open and not connected to anything until I get a catch can? I want to plug my bov to its port on the intake.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TravisBiggie
so for now am I safe to keep the pvc to intake hose open and not connected to anything until I get a catch can? I want to plug my bov to its port on the intake.
mount an empty quart of oil container in the motor bay somewhere and run a hose from BELOW the pcv valve ( you want the actual valve out of there) into the empty oil quart for now until you get a catch can, oill vapor comes out and you dont have it going into anything, it makes a mess of the motor bay....
Old 04-14-2012, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

We are all pretty much explaining what to do with your crankcase ventilation very clearly. There isdiagrams of how to route your lines all over the web if you search.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright, on my pcv valve there is two hoses on the top, one to the manifold and one to a fitting on the black of the block. This doesnt seem normal. So put the hose from the intake to the catch can, and thats it? You guys say remove the pcv valve from the block and leave that huge hole open? Doesnt seem right. Ive read remove the pcv
Valve remove it but leaving this **** wide open doesnt seem wise

Quick Reply: Turbo build done, engine bay video, need feedback