Notices

Is this turbo to big.......

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this turbo to big.......

I am building my B18c1 motor to its limit and I am goin with a full-race turbo kit. to be exact I am goin with Full-Race's ProStreet AC Stage 4 Turbo Kit. IT comes with a T4/T67 Turbo is this big enough? My goals are as high as I can go, I would love to push around 550 to 600whp. Thanks.

http://www.full-race.com/catal...id=39

There is the link for those that wanna look at the whole kit.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Is this turbo to big....... (RedlineKustomz)

ummm for only that HP rating... you dont even need a turbo that big, dont even need a t4. are you talking race gas or pump gas?
Old 09-25-2005, 03:17 PM

A T4/T67 is a 700-750 WHP turbo.

For 550-600 you don't need anything more than a GT35R or an SC61, that's big time overkill.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is this turbo to big....... (turboEGhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turboEGhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A T4/T67 is a 700-750 WHP turbo.

For 550-600 you don't need anything more than a GT35R or an SC61, that's big time overkill.</TD></TR></TABLE>

SC61 Use the money you saved from the GT35R on something else
Old 09-25-2005, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Is this turbo to big....... (N20civicB18)

I plan on pump gas. But If I can push more than 600 out of it I would like to, that is why I chose the bigger turbo. 550 to 600 is just a number to throw out it aint where I wanna stop. I dont wanna stop until I cant make the motor push out anymore hp lol. Thanks though for the input and help. The GT35R comes in the Stage 3 kit, but isn't the SC61 a Precision Turbocharger? I wanna buy a whole kit and I dont know any good kits that come with Precision SC61 Turbos in them, but I havent really looked far since i found FUll-Race kits.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you also gotta ask how fast you wanna make power. what are your goals as far as a powerband. do you want something resposive on and off boost? do you want a highway bandit making peak whp later in your powerband?

Old 09-25-2005, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Is this turbo to big....... (turbotommy)

I want a car that is fast on and off the track. I want something that I can blow the doors off Honda haters at the track and pull up next to someone in traffic and they think tis a stock civic and make them eat their words. Now as far as powerband I am lost when you mention that. But I know I want a car that I can take someone for a ride and they will never think of a civic the same. Thanks
Old 09-25-2005, 03:55 PM

If you have no idea what a powerband is and you want to build a car to show off to your friends and shut up haters I think you might want to reconsider thinking you can make 600 whp on pump gas.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:01 PM

Sorry I am new, I have read these FAQ and all this but you know some stuff is learned through talkin about it to people that know. So instead of telling me reconsider stuff, can you just help me and set me straight on all of this? Please thanks
Old 09-25-2005, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is this turbo to big....... (turbotommy)

keep in mind the bigger the snail, the longer the turbo lag and shorter your usable powerband is going to be. remember area under the curve!
when you say "track", do you mean an road race track or a 1/4 mile track?

I've got a T28RS putting down around 350 at 16 psi. I start booting at 3K.
I put in a 8 psi spring for road tracks. I am able to stay in boost pretty much 95% of the time because I'm rarely under 5K around the entire track.
Another guy has a similar setup with a T60 I beleive. He doesn't boost until 6K. A worthless road track car. Only good for drag racing.
He's worthless from a standing start. Even on M/T's, he's spinning till the end of third. And the car is a turd to drive. By the time it boost's, it's time to shift. But when it does boost, you better pray your in a straight line.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:05 PM
On Fire!

T4/T67 is plenty big for that, I just hope you have $$ put back for all your parts running 600whp on pump gas all day every day.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:07 PM

Default Re: Is this turbo to big....... (mrlegoman)

Ok so pretty much a smaller turbo will allow my boost to kick in at lower RPM's, which gives me a bigger powerband. But it iwll push the turbo harder which makes your PSI go higher. So gettin a turbo and pushing it a little hard is the best opinion? Instead of gettin a bigger turbo and pushing 6psi and gettin 350 get a smaller and push 14psi to get 350 for a bigger powerband? Am I on the right track? thanks
Old 09-25-2005, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is this turbo to big....... (Adi Raaa)

do some searches on 'powerband'. let us know if you have any questions on it.

a good and "must read" article on basic turbo lingo is from Garrett:
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/....html

also fyi. for even 500 whp on a daily driven, pump gas, RELIABLE viper killer your looking at another 10-15K$$ above the turbo kit to get it done right. I know there is a bunch of people on ht claiming they are making mad power with stock internals and home-made intake/exhaust systems. but most of them work at a shop were they have a chance to tweak and tune their cars on a daily basis. the others are usually posting a couple months later about how their engine blew up "for no reason at all".

bottom line. bigger turbo is not always better.
and, at least your asking questions <U>before</U> you buy. so ignore the post bashers and ask away.

and as always (which some people tend to forget) - jmo (just my opinion)
Old 09-25-2005, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wait, your going from a stock GSR to a 600whp DD car? I would start off slow with maybe a drag or revhard kit then upgrade later on ( actually what im doing right now ).
Old 09-25-2005, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your not ready for a 400+whp civic yet, work your way there.

But yea bigger turbos produce more power at less boost but takes longer to make the power, with a street car generally you want a fairly small turbo so you can actually use the turbo to full potential.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RedlineKustomz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok so pretty much a smaller turbo will allow my boost to kick in at lower RPM's</TD></TR></TABLE>
bingo

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RedlineKustomz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">, which gives me a bigger powerband. </TD></TR></TABLE>
maybe

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RedlineKustomz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">But it iwll push the turbo harder which makes your PSI go higher. So gettin a turbo and pushing it a little hard is the best opinion? Instead of gettin a bigger turbo and pushing 6psi and gettin 350 get a smaller and push 14psi to get 350 for a bigger powerband? Am I on the right track? thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>
Sorta. Read through the Garrett website tech article and that will clear up some of your questions.

I like the T28RS because on a road course I can stay in boost while going through some turns. In a long fast sweeping turn I can run at 4K-5K and will be in boost the entire time. On a bigger turbo, 4-5K is the boost line and I could run into going in and out of boost in the middle of the turn! this would upset the car greatly.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:27 PM

I know to build internals, I aint expecting to pushing 600whp just by a bolt on turbo. I have alot of the internals and stuff chose, but still thinkin about a few. But I was just wondering about hte turbo what to do. Cuase I know alot of power comes from yuor tuning. But thanks alot, and yes I am asking before I buy anything cause I want to cover every base and make sure I do it right before I invest into something I dont need or is to big and waste all that money. If you want to check on my internals i chose let me know and I can post that but again I have bought nothing. Right now just planning and hopefully ordering soon. Thanks
Old 09-25-2005, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RedlineKustomz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know to build internals, I aint expecting to pushing 600whp just by a bolt on turbo. I have alot of the internals and stuff chose, but still thinkin about a few. But I was just wondering about hte turbo what to do. Cuase I know alot of power comes from yuor tuning. But thanks alot, and yes I am asking before I buy anything cause I want to cover every base and make sure I do it right before I invest into something I dont need or is to big and waste all that money. If you want to check on my internals i chose let me know and I can post that but again I have bought nothing. Right now just planning and hopefully ordering soon. Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE> probably the best thing for you to do is find someone with a similar setup that you want to do and ride in their car. that was the turning point for me. i road in the T60's guys car and even though it was insane above 6k and in a straight line, i didn't want to deal with the turbo lag and i wanted more 'usable' power.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

plan your whole kit out and everything you need and want and search for all your awnsers before you buy anything If you want a good street/track car, I would go with a SC61. But for a highway roll the T4/67 would be a monster. Just keep searching and planning.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:46 PM

Ok I have heard over alot of the site you gave me. Alot of that I already knew, but also I understand what your talkin about now when you say turbo lag. You mean that point before it kicks it. Cause I have been in turboed cars before I know that it can be bad when it kicks in if it kicks in around a curve. So I am still lose on powerband, i know its right infront of me but it isn't clicking yet. I am more into having power all the way around, so I am with you are 4 to 5 k and having boost all the way through. But can you help me understand "powerband" more? Is this where your turbo kicks in? the length of your boost? or what. Thank you so much tho for your help.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:48 PM

Default Re: Is this turbo to big....... (SlowB16si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SlowB16si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">plan your whole kit out and everything you need and want and search for all your awnsers before you buy anything If you want a good street/track car, I would go with a SC61. But for a highway roll the T4/67 would be a monster. Just keep searching and planning.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am tryin to plan out my whole motor before I jump into it. I have the motor but that is the only investment I have in it so far. But wouldnt the GT35R do just as good as the Precision SC61? Thanks
Old 09-25-2005, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

powerband is like say you have a .42/.48 t3 that gives you full boost at 2500, your powerband is from 2500+ but depending on how much HP you want to push it may die down in the top end.

If you have a t4/t67 your powerband may be like from 6000-redline
and when your not in your powerband your not going to be going fast

dont take those numbers as facts they are just used as an example.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:58 PM

ok so ur powerband is when your turbo kicks in?
Old 09-25-2005, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've heard good things about the GT35R on track too can start boosting around 3,5-3,8K and you;ll proably run out of gearing before you run out of boost.

the disco-potato works perfect for me because I only run 8 psi on track and I've got a type-r tranny, so I run out of gearing (at 155mph on the back striaght of VIR) before I run out of boost.
BUT, my setup doesn't make any gains after 18 psi. i could probably switch to a GT35R and run 22+ (more hp but would have to put up with a bigger lag time)

Old 09-25-2005, 05:13 PM

So the GT35R would kick around 3k or 5K?

Quick Reply: Is this turbo to big.......