Notices

Turbo b16

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 02:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo b16

i want a greddy turbo for my 99 Si but i dont know how much it will cost to actually build up for it. greddy about = $2,800,000
Approximately how much more money do you think i will need to spend on my engine and other things when i turbo my stock b16a ?? for example (tuning, Fuel Control, intercooler)

If you have any info itt will help:]
Old 10-13-2006, 04:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well if your buying a kit it should come with all of those components. Anyways if your kit doesnt look into spending about $400 for some good RC 550cc injectors, get a Type 10 Yonaka intercooler for about $350.00, tuning well i dont know about this one the price usually fluctuates from tuner to tuner.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i seriously hope you arent paying 2800 for a greddy turbo kit

i know of several locally for under 1500
Old 10-13-2006, 01:16 PM

Default Re: (spooncivic1)

screw the greddy kit, its cheaper to put together your own kit and make more power and also get better more reliable parts.

get on http://www.em1crew.com since you own a si and they can help you ALOT more
Old 10-13-2006, 01:22 PM
B.
400 HP Club

Default Re: (Black00em1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Black00em1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">screw the greddy kit, its cheaper to put together your own kit and make more power and also get better more reliable parts.

</TD></TR></TABLE> agreed 100%........ dont waste your money on some POS turbo kit..
Old 10-19-2006, 02:15 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (B.)

bumpp

i'd like more info about this also
Old 10-20-2006, 12:26 PM

Default Re: (ViSioNxBoY)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ViSioNxBoY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bumpp

i'd like more info about this also </TD></TR></TABLE>

The reason buying a turbo kit is soooo much money is because its everything you need complete with out the hassle of putting together one on your own.

Sure its a complete kit and sure it might make decent power but they take the cheapest way they can go when making the kit to make as much profit as possible.

The GReddy kit, is a nice all around street/emissions friendly turbo kit due to its internaly wastegated turbo. It spools up fast and makes decent reliable stock motor power. The down side to them is they are internaly gated so boost spikes/creaps will happen and can possible cost you that stock motor.

The Drag kits, There a pretty decent kit. The turbo is good to about 18psi (some people have done more but not really worth it on that t3t4) The kit its self if its a stock motor has made some decent numbers and has been a pretty good streetable turbo kit. Down side is the intercooler is small/thin and the manifold is known to crack/rust over time.

Ebay turbo kits, The SSAC turbos some of them are pretty decent and people have made good power with them. The down side to there kits are fitment issues, and some people saying there turbos die very fast. There was even a horror story about one turbo even being glued together and sold. Since then i know the turbos have come along way and ive seen first hand they make good power. But with any turbo kit/turbo you need a oil restrictor. When a turbo is only ment to see 15psi of oil pressure and when you dont use a restrictor at wot the turbo will see 60psi being pushed through it due to that high oil pressures honda's run. When this happens turbo seals will take a ****, no matter who makes it precision, ssac, turbonetics ect ect.

Inline pro /full race Turbo kits. Honestly, inline pro is right up the street from me and there turbo kits are the best all around daily driven stock/built motor turbo kit i think you can buy as well as a full race turbo kit. The good thing about the inline pro kit is there log style cast manifold. Its VERY reliable and wont crack. The down side to them is they wont make as much power as a ram horn, top mount ect ect of a tubular manifold But for reliability they are a great manifold. Full race, There turbo kits are very nice, and come with great products like precision turbos. If you can afford that kind and good quality kit, inline pro/full race is a great buy. BUT...

Again, THATS IF YOU CAN AFFORD it.

For the low ballers that cant afford to buy a turbo kit with great/quality parts. If you do the research on everything you need you can peice together your own GREAT quality and great out put turbo kit. Ive personaly been peicing mine together now for about 3 months getting everything i need to make the most power I possibly can with my stock motor and even built motor.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Black00em1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The Drag kits, There a pretty decent kit. The turbo is good to about 18psi (some people have done more but not really worth it on that t3t4) The kit its self if its a stock motor has made some decent numbers and has been a pretty good streetable turbo kit. Down side is the intercooler is small/thin and the manifold is known to crack/rust over time.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have never seen a Drag manifold crack. I got mine used and I have been running 18psi for 2 years on it without a problem.......other than some boost creep.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:14 PM

Default Re: (FUCATYPR)

you got a nice one...

here is a pic of my old drag manifold.

This is when my turbo took a **** and the crappy wastegate.

the wastegate (turbonetics delta gate) left a niple in my hood from where the top of the wastegate hit underneath the hood.

Here is after i painted my valve cover black and ran a inline pro SS manifold and down pipe and a new 38mm wastegate for clearance.

Old 10-20-2006, 01:56 PM
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Black00em1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The reason buying a turbo kit is soooo much money is because its everything you need complete with out the hassle of putting together one on your own.

Sure its a complete kit and sure it might make decent power but they take the cheapest way they can go when making the kit to make as much profit as possible.

The GReddy kit, is a nice all around street/emissions friendly turbo kit due to its internaly wastegated turbo. It spools up fast and makes decent reliable stock motor power. The down side to them is they are internaly gated so boost spikes/creaps will happen and can possible cost you that stock motor.

Ebay turbo kits, The SSAC turbos some of them are pretty decent and people have made good power with them. The down side to there kits are fitment issues, and some people saying there turbos die very fast. There was even a horror story about one turbo even being glued together and sold. Since then i know the turbos have come along way and ive seen first hand they make good power. But with any turbo kit/turbo you need a oil restrictor. When a turbo is only ment to see 15psi of oil pressure and when you dont use a restrictor at wot the turbo will see 60psi being pushed through it due to that high oil pressures honda's run. When this happens turbo seals will take a ****, no matter who makes it precision, ssac, turbonetics ect ect.

Inline pro /full race Turbo kits. Honestly, inline pro is right up the street from me and there turbo kits are the best all around daily driven stock/built motor turbo kit i think you can buy as well as a full race turbo kit. The good thing about the inline pro kit is there log style cast manifold. Its VERY reliable and wont crack. The down side to them is they wont make as much power as a ram horn, top mount ect ect of a tubular manifold But for reliability they are a great manifold. Full race, There turbo kits are very nice, and come with great products like precision turbos. If you can afford that kind and good quality kit, inline pro/full race is a great buy. BUT...

Again, THATS IF YOU CAN AFFORD it.

For the low ballers that cant afford to buy a turbo kit with great/quality parts. If you do the research on everything you need you can peice together your own GREAT quality and great out put turbo kit. Ive personaly been peicing mine together now for about 3 months getting everything i need to make the most power I possibly can with my stock motor and even built motor. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Good info Thanks!
Old 10-20-2006, 01:59 PM
* B A N N E D *

When you said they're internally gated, what do you mean ?
I don't know **** about turbo's so I'm trying to learn now .
Also, with the GReddy kit - isn't it possible to switch out some of its shittier parts for quality parts ? Or GReddy wouldn't allow it ?
Old 10-20-2006, 05:57 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ViSioNxBoY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When you said they're internally gated, what do you mean ?
I don't know **** about turbo's so I'm trying to learn now .
Also, with the GReddy kit - isn't it possible to switch out some of its shittier parts for quality parts ? Or GReddy wouldn't allow it ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sure you could switch out parts but it would be so many that it just wouldnt be worth it to be honest. the diff between external wastegates and internal wastegates is a internal wastegate is a small normaly gold looking (hat) so to speak that connects to the turbo. An external gate is on top of the manifold, look above at the pictures i posted. I the blue top thing on top of the exhaust manifold is my external wastegate on my old car.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:38 PM

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm