Notices

turbo auto civic

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo auto civic

hey guys so i have some questions,
i want to turbo my auto 2000 civic d16y8 and yes i know a auto.
the reason being is because i lost my left leg in a bad accident.(if you have to know)

so i know what i need the as far as a turbo kit

the thing i dont know is what can i use for fuel managment or to tune

ive done some research and found i can use a FMU,AEM standalone system and i think a apexi vafc

im just so confused on this engine managment and tuning stuff for a atuo someone help me

power goals are about 160 whp or so

also if i run a fmu do i need to upgrade the fuel pump and injectors? and what ratio should i get 12:1 8:1 10:1

thanks for your help please dont be negative
Old 04-11-2013, 05:15 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: turbo auto civic

Originally Posted by bosten17
i can use a FMU and i think a apexi vafc
This is your "engine management". The VAFC is the crude tuning component. You'll need a Missing Link.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thank you sir ^ do i need to upgrade injectors or fuel pump
Old 04-11-2013, 05:24 PM
The Grumpiest

No. That what the FMU is for. Mind you this will be a crude method to getting your car boosted due to that automatic transmission. The transmission will be your limiting factor. I don't think you'll even get 160hp reliably.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so i dont need to upgrade any of that stuff with the fmu correct? what ratio should i get 12:1?
Old 04-11-2013, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need a greddy emanage ultimate, or an emanage blue, that will piggy back your ECU for tuning AFR's and ignition timing, and run an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, a different rising rate from 1:1 would be better but anything above 5:1 i think would be overkill for 160whp and make it harder to dial in.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:47 PM
The Grumpiest

Whatever the method you use to manage the fuel I seriously doubt that transmission will even hold that power.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so thats all i would need? no upgraded fuel pumps or injectors? and will i still need a fmu very confused now
Old 04-11-2013, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so thats all i would need? no upgraded fuel pumps or injectors? and will i still need a fmu very confused now
for 160hp, i highly doubt you will need a FMU, everything can be done with the piggyback and fuel pressure adjustments. Ive worked with this setup on an OBD2 automatic integra that was boosted on 9psi, worked out fine.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:53 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If this confuses you, just keep driving it stock...
Old 04-11-2013, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok and is the greddy system is that pretty easy to use or do you suggest i take it to a tuner?
Old 04-11-2013, 05:54 PM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by Spawne32
for 160hp, i highly doubt you will need a FMU, everything can be done with the piggyback and fuel pressure adjustments. Ive worked with this setup on an OBD2 automatic integra that was boosted on 9psi, worked out fine.
Go this route. You might be able to tune it yourself.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok thank you ill try it out and do some more research
Old 04-11-2013, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok and is the greddy system is that pretty easy to use or do you suggest i take it to a tuner?
Ideally you want to have it taken to a tuner, but the emanage should have a self tuning feature at the very least to adjust AFR's, if you are adept enough at using these types of things. Im trying to find a suitable rise rate regulator for your setup. Otherwise you will have to run slightly larger injectors.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone know what the D16y8 stock injector size is? Probably could do this by raising base fuel pressure by 10psi on a aem adjustable 1:1 regulator, and then just have the emanage dial back the part throttle fueling.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im sorry for getting off topic, But why not look into b18c (itr swap) with b16/b18 jdm/usdm auto tranny might be decent power and still be auto.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:19 AM
The Grumpiest

You're not getting that swap in a 6th gen Civic.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

On a budget it or I would get a nice swap or even a newer car at that
Old 04-12-2013, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Injector size is 240
Old 04-12-2013, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

First, if you are lucky, you can find rebuild kits, high stall converters and even upgraded cv shafts from TCI, using alto red eagle clutch packs. This should allow the a/t to handle a little more tq than stock.

So what is the best way for him to "tune" since he cant chip then tune? The Greddy Emanage? The Edelbrock system? FMU?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

I have also seen the rebuild kit with Alto Red Eagle clutch packs on jegs website and a few others.

Last edited by 94exa2; 04-12-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94exa2
First, if you are lucky, you can find rebuild kits, high stall converters and even upgraded cv shafts from TCI, using alto red eagle clutch packs. This should allow the a/t to handle a little more tq than stock.

So what is the best way for him to "tune" since he cant chip then tune? The Greddy Emanage? The Edelbrock system? FMU?
The CV shafts are exactly the same as any manual transmission CV shaft, theres no magic there. Stall converters are easily had by any reputable converter company, i had mine built for racing from precision of new hampton (gopnh.com). Clutches on the other hand are harder to find, alto red eagles are no longer made for honda transmissions, raybestos GPXX line may still be available for the newer models, but ultimately it depends on which transmission you are using.

Civic's unfortunately suffer from a lack of clutch surface area, whereas the OBD1 integra transmission like I am using has a much larger clutch pack assembly. I also had the advantage of gaining access to an MP7A SIR-G automatic transmission from a JDM B18C factory automatic integra. Which was built by honda for the 7600 redline, and gear ratio to match.

Because of OBD2 and the nature in which the transmission is controlled electronically, you have no choice but to run a piggyback system rather then a standalone management system. Converting back to OBD1 or replacing the ECU all together would leave the transmission without any controls to operate shifting, because in the newer models transmission and engine controls are all integrated into one computer. Whereas in OBD1 honda's you will often find a TCU and ECU, much like the OBD1 integra and accord.

A properly built automatic will withstand alot of abuse, but it ultimately depends on how you drive it, if you are N bombing it all the time because you like showing off at traffic lights, then it wont last very long.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Spawne32
The CV shafts are exactly the same as any manual transmission CV shaft, theres no magic there. Stall converters are easily had by any reputable converter company, i had mine built for racing from precision of new hampton (gopnh.com). Clutches on the other hand are harder to find, alto red eagles are no longer made for honda transmissions, raybestos GPXX line may still be available for the newer models, but ultimately it depends on which transmission you are using.

Civic's unfortunately suffer from a lack of clutch surface area, whereas the OBD1 integra transmission like I am using has a much larger clutch pack assembly. I also had the advantage of gaining access to an MP7A SIR-G automatic transmission from a JDM B18C factory automatic integra. Which was built by honda for the 7600 redline, and gear ratio to match.

Because of OBD2 and the nature in which the transmission is controlled electronically, you have no choice but to run a piggyback system rather then a standalone management system. Converting back to OBD1 or replacing the ECU all together would leave the transmission without any controls to operate shifting, because in the newer models transmission and engine controls are all integrated into one computer. Whereas in OBD1 honda's you will often find a TCU and ECU, much like the OBD1 integra and accord.

A properly built automatic will withstand alot of abuse, but it ultimately depends on how you drive it, if you are N bombing it all the time because you like showing off at traffic lights, then it wont last very long.
What would you say is the best piggyback out there since he cant chip his obd2 ecu, and cant swap to obd1? Emanage? Whatever comes with the Edelbrock kit? AEM FIC?
Old 04-12-2013, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94exa2
What would you say is the best piggyback out there since he cant chip his obd2 ecu, and cant swap to obd1? Emanage? Whatever comes with the Edelbrock kit? AEM FIC?
http://www.greddy.com/products/elect...nage-ultimate/

and you will need...

http://www.aemelectronics.com/fuel-d...e-regulator-5/
Old 04-14-2013, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

quick questins lets say i go with the fmu upgrade the fuel pump get a missing link and adjustable fuel pressure regualtor timing is my only other question will have to retard the timing on the low of boost?
Old 04-14-2013, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if so do you suggest manually doing it or getting a msd boost timing ignition

Quick Reply: turbo auto civic