Notices

turbo and ac clearance issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo and ac clearance issues

I put my garrett T3 (internal wastegate) with greddy manifold on my 93 Civic EX coupe (stock d16z6) and took it to a good exhaust shop to get the downpipe made and they couldn't do it...I have about 2 1/8th -> 2 1/4" clearance between the ac compressor and wastegate outlet, so with the 1/4" flange there isn't even 2" for the piping. What are my options here? I could remove the ac, but I don't particularly want to...would another turbo give me more clearance. Are there any other ac compressors that are smaller, or brackets that would let me tweak it a bit for some more clearance (about .5 inches?)
If not, I'll just have to rip the a/c out...
Old 08-14-2002, 09:06 AM
filetofit

Default Re: turbo and ac clearance issues (ion_four)

DIY Fuel management =

Old 08-14-2002, 11:17 AM
New User

maybe u can go 2" (or whatever size) pass the ac compressor and flare it out to yor desired diameter. another option is to get another turbo manifold that'll position the turbo further from the ac compressor (i dont think you'll opt for this tho).

easiest way is to take out ac. thats what i had to sacrifice
Old 08-14-2002, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo and ac clearance issues (b18bvudoo)

If I move the turbo away from the ac, it's gonna be against the clutch slave cylinder on the other side, and I can't barely move it towards the front of the car because my wastegate actuator is huge...

filetofit...the more I tweak the damned circuit, the worse it gets. I had it idling fine and it was boosting pretty hard, bust still really rich...then when I stopped and it idled for a moment it died and I couldn't get it started without completely tweaking the circuit! it was the damnedest thing. I had could barely put a load on the engine and had to slip the clutch all the way into a parking lot to start over by setting the key-on voltage and turning off and on the car...it's like 100º here and I'm pissed I'm thinkin AFC though, it could just be my damn o2 sensor...I need to ditch the a/c and get a proper reading in a downpipe...
Old 08-14-2002, 01:48 PM

How about turning around so that the compressor side faces the ac compressor. I had the same issue with my accord, I was not willing to lose my ac. after I turned it around i could not fit any kinda of filter on it so I have a metal screen clamped on.
Old 08-14-2002, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo and ac clearance issues (Slo_Akord)

I think I would've had more of a problem if it was turned around. I'd like a filter on there, too...

Problem solved, however. I just took out the damn a/c compressor this afternoon. turbo comes WAY before a/c in my book haha. I didn't want to spend weeks dickin around with this, so this was the quick solution.