Notices

tuning for 2 different boost settings with a SAFC

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tuning for 2 different boost settings with a SAFC

Could you/or would it be possible to tune 2 different boost settings using the safc. if i am understanding it correctly there is hi and lo throttle settings and 2 maps one of which is chosen while the car is at a certain throttle %.
so couldn't you have a daily driven 8 psi tune in the lo setting for x% throttle down and then run a higher boost (tuned) setting to a higher setting y%.

so say daily driven you would be good jus putting around in low to mid throttle but on track/drag weekend when you drive the car harder (i.s. more throttle) you could turn the boost up and be fine as long as you were in that high given throttle%.

by tuned i am talking about air to fuel ratios

i hope i explained that ok. please give me some feedback on why or why it would not work. thanks.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tuning for 2 different boost settings with a SAFC (ambition)

Nah lo and hi throttle are just for non boosted settings and boosted settings. The new AFC has ability for 2 different maps though.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:39 PM

Default Re: tuning for 2 different boost settings with a SAFC (SOFLSOL)

I thought low was under 100% throttle, and high was full throttle...
Old 09-26-2003, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tuning for 2 different boost settings with a SAFC (Boost Creep)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boost Creep &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I thought low was under 100% throttle, and high was full throttle...</TD></TR></TABLE>
hi/lo throttle point is adjustable
Old 09-26-2003, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ttt
Old 09-26-2003, 11:38 PM

Default Re: tuning for 2 different boost settings with a SAFC (ambition)

it's not a boost controler.it's just for fuel .maybe if it was team up with a AVCR
Old 09-27-2003, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tuning for 2 different boost settings with a SAFC (B20T)

well yeah i know u need a boost controller to raise and lower boost but the safc would give you the option of more fuel which could allow you to raise the boost on occasions iim jus wonder if yopu can pre program this using the hi and lo throttle points.
Old 09-29-2003, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

still not cear
Old 09-29-2003, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ambition)

dude, you don't have to tune for any specific boost level w/ the afc. It uses MAP sensor input so if you up the boost, as long as you don't overwhelm the map, it adds fuel. If you run 10psi then switch to 5 psi, the map knows its only seeing 5 psi, tells your ecu (sort of ) and adds LESS fuel. more fuel is added until the map sensor is maxed out. Then you are screwed.
Old 09-29-2003, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Johnyquest)

JZ THANK2U
edit; werd atleast someone under stand me i me damn people maybe i jus made it more confusing then it is but yeah i check my peak everytime i drive my car and a rarely get on it and thats n/a so i think if i wired the lo point at like 90 and down and everything high would be the hi i think i coule do it. and the boosty difference would be that much since im still on stock internals. maybe 7.25 daily and 8 for track. i dunno i was more curious if it would work then anything. thanks

Modified by ambition at 2:28 AM 9/30/2003
Old 09-29-2003, 05:37 PM

your honda will have two fuel maps one for lo throttle% and 1 for hi throttle%. i think the ecu changes maps at around 50% throttle and goes into a rich table because typically at 50% there is a good amount of load on the engine. the lo throttle% on the afc will be to keep the 450cc inj (or whatever larger inj you are running) idle and drive like stock outside of boost. the hi throttle% is so that you can subtract the appropriate amount of fuel at boosted levels to stay rich, but not dip into the lean area. everyone keeps saying to set throttle% at lo98% hi99%, but since your ecu swtiches tables around 50% it might not be a bad idea to change them to 49%/50%...unless you plan on only boosting at wot each and every time. there will be times that you will boost with out going wot...just try and go more than 50% and this set up should work fine for you.

anyone with a different opinion feel free to give me more insight.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Right now my set up on stock injectors has different rates at the same rpm depending on my throttle
example cruising at 4k rpms -4 correction at say 30% throttle then i gun it and the correction jumps to -12% becuase my throttle is now in the hi throttle map.
all im sayin is i would like to tune 90% down to handle 7psi and 91% and up to handle 8-9 pounds of boost.
MEANING, driving around on the street at 7 psi i couldn't go over 90% throttle without dippin a lilk more rich then i would like cuz at that throttle point it would go to the hi throttle map which would be intended for 9 psi.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:31 PM

Default Re: (jz)

dont listen to johnny he will blow your car up!!!! you could do what your waying but the problem with it is if you werent boosting it would still be on the low boost fuel map. You would be running rich as fock, to answer you question simply, yes its posible but not very managable. You could do some tricky wiring and get to afc's but thats gay. Just get the afc2, or do what im doing and get hondata....
Old 09-29-2003, 08:33 PM

Default Re: (boosted_dc2)

sorry its late, is "saying" and you could get 2 afc's is what i was trying to say
Old 10-07-2003, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boosted_dc2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted_dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont listen to johnny he will blow your car up!!!! you could do what your waying but the problem with it is if you werent boosting it would still be on the low boost fuel map. You would be running rich as fock, to answer you question simply, yes its posible but not very managable. You could do some tricky wiring and get to afc's but thats gay. Just get the afc2, or do what im doing and get hondata....</TD></TR></TABLE>

You are so wrong, it's not even funny.
It's such a simple concept. If your at 5 psi, your MAP see's 5 psi, and the ecu fuels for 5psi (that's the point of the hack.)

If your at 10psi, the map SEES 10psi, tells the ecu there is 10psi (sorta, its hacked of course so the ecu doesn't REALLY know) and fuels for 10psi.

that's why you HAVE a map sensor.

You people really need to read up more on the hack, because this isn't rocket science and we've all been over it a million times.

Your car's ecu uses like 3 variables for fuel curve. Throttle position, RPM, and MAP SENSOR VOLTAGE!

if you have your AFC set at, for instance, -36 percent (a real rich setting) you can switch boost from 2psi to 10psi all day long w/o changing a thing, and though you will be rich, you will be fine. I'm not explaining it again! That's just how it is.
Old 10-08-2003, 07:36 PM

yes! fueling is determined by the 3 variables. big thing to remember is that tps has a lot to do with fueling. at lower tps the ecu is going to try and keep the car at 14.7. be careful low throttle boosting below 50%tps.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:32 PM

Default Re: (scttydb411)

Higher MAP readings will also throw the ECU into open loop mode