Notices

TOP MOUNT VS. FRONT MOUNT MANIFOLD?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TOP MOUNT VS. FRONT MOUNT MANIFOLD?

Hey, wassup guys..

i searched and searched nothing popped up not even on google lol

Im currently looking into a manifold for my hatchback im building.. i was going to get a AFI top mount manifold , But then i started seeing more of these front mount turbo manifolds.. Afi sells one as well..

now my question is are there any Gains or Losses between the 2 manifold (Pros and Cons).. Because i was speaking with a friend who has a top mount and he was like ohh your going to lose power if u go with front mount manifold.. He aint really give me to much of a good explination why.. so mabey you guys can help me out with this so i can make my decision..

Im not building a pure track car btw.. im not really to worried about the turbo being in the front bumper either..
Old 02-07-2010, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: TOP MOUNT VS. FRONT MOUNT MANIFOLD?

If not for track use only. no need for a front mount.. your just going to be sucking in dust and dirt
Old 02-07-2010, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boostedEF91
If not for track use only. no need for a front mount.. your just going to be sucking in dust and dirt
even if i put a cover over it like those net things?
Old 02-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JrOz
even if i put a cover over it like those net things?
yes, if you dont have an air filter you will damage your motor.

and your friend must be riding the short buss. think of it like this

theoretically, for example, lets say you are running 10psi, which increases the temperature of the air by 30%.... and we will also remove the intercooler from the equation to simplify things.....

your engine bay temps are at 135f, and your turbos intake is in the engine bay, you are going to have IAT's around 175f.

your engine bay temp remains at 135f, but instead of your turbos intake being in the engine bay, its at the very front of the car, where air temperature is ambient, lets say 72f. your IAT's are now 94f.

do you think you will make more power with air that is 175f or 94f? remember, air is less dense the warmer it gets. denser the oxygen molecules give you more potential to make power.

not to mention having the turbo inlet at the front of the car puts it in a high pressure zone further helping the compressor do its job.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^just about to say all that haha. but you have just answered it.. i mean common sense when driving with a front mount down the road the air is cooler and blowing straight into the turbo. Therefore going to make more power rather than the turbo being under the hood sucking in its own air.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by welfarepc
yes, if you dont have an air filter you will damage your motor.

and your friend must be riding the short buss. think of it like this

theoretically, for example, lets say you are running 10psi, which increases the temperature of the air by 30%.... and we will also remove the intercooler from the equation to simplify things.....

your engine bay temps are at 135f, and your turbos intake is in the engine bay, you are going to have IAT's around 175f.

your engine bay temp remains at 135f, but instead of your turbos intake being in the engine bay, its at the very front of the car, where air temperature is ambient, lets say 72f. your IAT's are now 94f.

do you think you will make more power with air that is 175f or 94f? remember, air is less dense the warmer it gets. denser the oxygen molecules give you more potential to make power.

not to mention having the turbo inlet at the front of the car puts it in a high pressure zone further helping the compressor do its job.
thanks alot i totally get what your saying..
Old 02-07-2010, 07:57 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Front mount - Drag race only. you hit the right bump on the street, consider your turbo the first thing to go. it wasn't designed to take that type of abuse.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Front mount - Drag race only. you hit the right bump on the street, consider your turbo the first thing to go. it wasn't designed to take that type of abuse.
one of my friends has a front mount he seems to have no problem with the car he drives it around like nothing.. my turbo isnt big like his either.. he has the s372 .. i have the billet pt67** plus my car isnt gunna be low..

im not really worried about the turbo being infront... im more curious about hp wise.. thanks for your input tho shodan
Old 02-08-2010, 06:35 AM

The Horsepower gains that you MIGHT experience really aren't worth the risk to such an expensive investment, especially if the larger purpose for the Front facing manifold is for strictly drag race purposes. I'm glad your friend is not having any problems so far, but this isn't one of those situations, in which something gradually would go wrong over time. He could be just lucky to survive a reasonable amount of time, depending upon his use and driving habits, but the probability of something really BAD occuring as a result of his turbo being in that particular location the day it does occur is extremely high, not worth any small hp gains that you think that might get from using it as opposed to a more "streetable" turbo setup.

There was a particular reason WHY these manifolds are designed differently, and POWER gains, though a priority, wasn't the highest on their list of design reasons. There are other ways to gain safe reliable power instead of putting your costly PT67 to imminent harm by using a Drag Racing purposeful piece of equipment on a street/strip car. Cams, better tuning, intercooler, intake manifold, all take a part in it.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one of my friends has a front mount he seems to have no problem with the car he drives it around like nothing.. my turbo isnt big like his either.. he has the s372 .. i have the billet pt67** plus my car isnt gunna be low..

im not really worried about the turbo being infront... im more curious about hp wise.. thanks for your input tho shodan
Does said friend put 20,000 miles a year on this car?

Fact is, if you want to daily it and have it last longer than a month, front mount is probably not the way to go.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The Horsepower gains that you MIGHT experience really aren't worth the risk to such an expensive investment, especially if the larger purpose for the Front facing manifold is for strictly drag race purposes. I'm glad your friend is not having any problems so far, but this isn't one of those situations, in which something gradually would go wrong over time. He could be just lucky to survive a reasonable amount of time, depending upon his use and driving habits, but the probability of something really BAD occuring as a result of his turbo being in that particular location the day it does occur is extremely high, not worth any small hp gains that you think that might get from using it as opposed to a more "streetable" turbo setup.

There was a particular reason WHY these manifolds are designed differently, and POWER gains, though a priority, wasn't the highest on their list of design reasons. There are other ways to gain safe reliable power instead of putting your costly PT67 to imminent harm by using a Drag Racing purposeful piece of equipment on a street/strip car. Cams, better tuning, intercooler, intake manifold, all take a part in it.
I get what your saying .. my main purpose to do the front mount was for the looks..it makes ur engine bay look so much cleaner plus its something different that not to many ppl on street/strip setup have .. but i didnt want to sacrafice hp at the same time.. i guess i will just do a normal top mount so i have one less thing to worry about goin wrong when im actually driving the car..
Old 02-08-2010, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shifty35
Does said friend put 20,000 miles a year on this car?

Fact is, if you want to daily it and have it last longer than a month, front mount is probably not the way to go.
he drives the car about 3 days during the week.. im talkin about long drives not just a quick ride around the block..
Old 02-08-2010, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would go with a top mount if your not doing a pure race car.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you must make crazy amounts of cash to risk a $1000+ turbo for just looks!

if you do use the Front Mount i wish you all the luck on nothing going wrong.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

**** I lost a turbo to a big rock on the return road last season. I would never use a front mount setup on the street. Run the top mount and make an intake for it when you go to the track.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

run a filter and the everyday elements are no problem. my old front mount turbo setup had about 20k+ miles on it, and my current setup is also a front mount setup with 6k miles on it. ive driven these setups everyday in every condition, snow, rain, etc. and never had any issues.

as far as hitting a bump and losing a turbo that doesnt make any sense. depending on turbo placement there isnt any more stresss on the manifold than any other setup.

there are a lot of advantages of these setups on the street too, and honestly not too many cons. power steering compatible, downpipe routes to allow a full oem shroud on the radiator which helps a ton for cooling. easily fits a filter unlike many top mount manifolds out there. as long as it is done right i would say the only con would be you might need to cut some sheet metal from the front of the car.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jksmith
you must make crazy amounts of cash to risk a $1000+ turbo for just looks!

if you do use the Front Mount i wish you all the luck on nothing going wrong.
im in no way rich or balling ..i just know how to save .. and if i want something enuff i will usually get it within time.. im spending all my side money on this build its leaving me broke.. every chance i have to buy a part im goin to do it.. im tryin to be done by april.. i already have a k series hatchback giving me a headache.. lol

Originally Posted by miller
**** I lost a turbo to a big rock on the return road last season. I would never use a front mount setup on the street. Run the top mount and make an intake for it when you go to the track.
you know what it is miller.. i just love the design of the front mount manifold so much.. i think im willing to risk it.. the car isnt goin to be a daily driver im tryin to make atleast 600+ whp.. but i would like to drive it atleast a few times a month on the street.. nothing crazy like road trips or anything... the turbo will be double netted so i wont really have to worry about a small rock just the big ones like u lol..

Originally Posted by hybrdthry911
run a filter and the everyday elements are no problem. my old front mount turbo setup had about 20k+ miles on it, and my current setup is also a front mount setup with 6k miles on it. ive driven these setups everyday in every condition, snow, rain, etc. and never had any issues.

as far as hitting a bump and losing a turbo that doesnt make any sense. depending on turbo placement there isnt any more stresss on the manifold than any other setup.

there are a lot of advantages of these setups on the street too, and honestly not too many cons. power steering compatible, downpipe routes to allow a full oem shroud on the radiator which helps a ton for cooling. easily fits a filter unlike many top mount manifolds out there. as long as it is done right i would say the only con would be you might need to cut some sheet metal from the front of the car.

your the only one whos on giving me different point of view... it seems like the only CON to the manifold is that it shouldnt be street driven.. other then that this manifold is great.. and i think im willing to risk it.. i know i probably sound like a real idiot right now .. but i just really like the manifold lol
Old 02-08-2010, 10:24 PM
OG Fabricator

I ran a front mount on my car back in 2006...it was my only car at the time. Prolly not the smartest thing but i usually dont make the smartest choices lol. I hardly ever ran a filter also, but a HKS filter fit behind bumper. I also have a front mount turbo setup on my Evo too
Old 02-09-2010, 12:17 PM

I wish you the best of luck.. Ballsy. Not cost effective or safe, but ballsy.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you know what it is miller.. i just love the design of the front mount manifold so much.. i think im willing to risk it.. the car isnt goin to be a daily driver im tryin to make atleast 600+ whp.. but i would like to drive it atleast a few times a month on the street.. nothing crazy like road trips or anything... the turbo will be double netted so i wont really have to worry about a small rock just the big ones like u lol..

your the only one whos on giving me different point of view... it seems like the only CON to the manifold is that it shouldnt be street driven.. other then that this manifold is great.. and i think im willing to risk it.. i know i probably sound like a real idiot right now .. but i just really like the manifold lol
you should be able to use a filter, not just a screen if its designed for a street car. there is no reason you cant drive it everyday. ive driven my car down to maryland and back from here in upstate ny. and i drive it back and forth to my air force base every week in mass(109miles each way). synapse motorsport has built me 2 custom front mount turbo setups and both had room for a filter behind the bumper in a civic and integra. you can just take it on and off at the track in about 2 minutes.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wish you the best of luck.. Ballsy. Not cost effective or safe, but ballsy.
lol thank you

Originally Posted by hybrdthry911
you should be able to use a filter, not just a screen if its designed for a street car. there is no reason you cant drive it everyday. ive driven my car down to maryland and back from here in upstate ny. and i drive it back and forth to my air force base every week in mass(109miles each way). synapse motorsport has built me 2 custom front mount turbo setups and both had room for a filter behind the bumper in a civic and integra. you can just take it on and off at the track in about 2 minutes.
what im going to try and do is get a piece of thick sheet metal and cut it into a round shape , the size of the middle piece of the turbo maybe a lil bigger and drill alot small holes into it..then rivet it into the bumper where the hole is for the turbo..so nothing really interferes with the turbo..like a big rock.. but im stll going to have the screen on the turbo for double saftey
Old 02-09-2010, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here is my buddies car, i ran this turbo kit on my car when he parted it out. unlike my civic also pictured below he cut away at his bumper. i had a k&n filter on the car. we just put out license plates in front for a little extra protection.

here is my current setup, dont have any pictures after i put the filter on but i have a k&n cone filter on it now.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its undeniable... this **** is baller.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

who is making front mounts?
Old 04-29-2010, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Front mounts sure are bad *** but def not needed, especially for a street driven car...

Quick Reply: TOP MOUNT VS. FRONT MOUNT MANIFOLD?