Notices

to4b to4e question

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to4b to4e question

i am currently on a garret to4b on 10lbs on my stock ls motor. i plan to build it and run 15lbs this spring. my question is will 15lbs be too much for the to4b to handle and if so what would i need to do to upgrade to the e? i dont wanna spend alot of money on a brand new turbo thats good for like 28lbs if its gonna be unnecessary cause i dont plan on going anymore than 15lbs anytime soon.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: to4b to4e question (xfrankx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xfrankx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i am currently on a garret to4b on 10lbs on my stock ls motor. i plan to build it and run 15lbs this spring. my question is will 15lbs be too much for the to4b to handle and if so what would i need to do to upgrade to the e? i dont wanna spend alot of money on a brand new turbo thats good for like 28lbs if its gonna be unnecessary cause i dont plan on going anymore than 15lbs anytime soon. </TD></TR></TABLE>

What you really need to do is tell us what wheel/housing sizes the turbo has. Is it just a straight t04b or is it a t3/t04b?? Find out as much info about it as you can then post it up and someone will be able to help you out with some good info. GL.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: to4b to4e question (KeyserSoze)

im sorry its a t3/to4b
Old 03-17-2006, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm running 15lbs with the drag t3/to4b on my LS. it's not completely stock, but the head is dead stock. I got 248hp and 229 torque on a conservative tune. 15lbs on my turbo is perfectly fine and i'm sure that it could be pushed a bit more, but i'd say it'll prolly max out around 18psi or so.

If you want more, then you are gonna have to upgrade SOMETHING. Whether it be the turbo, exhaust parts or head. I must add, 248 in a crx is still damn fun, but i'm in the process of upgrading as we speak, because i want more!
Old 03-17-2006, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: to4b to4e question (buttsneeze)

i just wanted to know what the t3 to4b maxed out at. im not going more than 15lbs so if its gonna be good on that boost level then im not upgrading the turbo. im doing weisco 9:1 pistons ect... and possibly a gsr head
Old 03-18-2006, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You need to specify what wheel it is just like I said before. S, V or H trim wheel. With this info you can find out where it will poop out (be less than 65% efficiency, some use 60%, but I like to keep it a bit higher, just preference)........never mind.

The s trim will poop out @ ~35lb/min, the v trim and h trim both poop out ~50lb/min. @ a pr of 2.02 (15psi of boost) these turbo's will poop out @ ~32.5lb/min and ~45lb/min respectively.

theoretically your gsr flows ~18lbs/min (assuming 8.5k redline and 95% eff). So @ 15psi of boost (or a pr of 2.02) the engine will flow ~36.36lb/min which will be more than the s trim can flow @ that pr but still within reason of the v and h trims.

Do you see how this gets a little confusing?? That is why one would NEED to know what wheel you have on your compressor. And even the turbine a/r would help to know.

Better than just randomly picking a boost level, you need to choose what hp level you desire and use the exact information about the turbo to find out if the hp level is attainable.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KeyserSoze &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You need to specify what wheel it is just like I said before. S, V or H trim wheel. With this info you can find out where it will poop out (be less than 65% efficiency, some use 60%, but I like to keep it a bit higher, just preference)........never mind.

The s trim will poop out @ ~35lb/min, the v trim and h trim both poop out ~50lb/min. @ a pr of 2.02 (15psi of boost) these turbo's will poop out @ ~32.5lb/min and ~45lb/min respectively.

theoretically your gsr flows ~18lbs/min (assuming 8.5k redline and 95% eff). So @ 15psi of boost (or a pr of 2.02) the engine will flow ~36.36lb/min which will be more than the s trim can flow @ that pr but still within reason of the v and h trims.

Do you see how this gets a little confusing?? That is why one would NEED to know what wheel you have on your compressor. And even the turbine a/r would help to know.

Better than just randomly picking a boost level, you need to choose what hp level you desire and use the exact information about the turbo to find out if the hp level is attainable.</TD></TR></TABLE>

GREAT INFO! always wondered how all that **** worked

do you know how to tell what wheel you have? is there a marking or something that u can see without taking the turbo apart?
Old 03-18-2006, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im not sure what trim is there any way to check it?
Old 03-18-2006, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: to4b to4e question (turbotime)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">GREAT INFO! always wondered how all that **** worked

do you know how to tell what wheel you have? is there a marking or something that u can see without taking the turbo apart?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks.

Unfortunately I don't know exatly how to tell which wheel is in there. On the side of the housing will probably be numbers stamped there so you can tell what the a/r is, but other than that I don't know. If you post up some pictures of the wheel maybe someone else will be able to tell you.

I do have a straight to4b v-trim turbo so I could tell you if yours matches mine as far as number of blades and the gen look of it, but there is probably much more to determining what wheel it is than the simple things I stated. You should ask someone smarter than I.

Edit: I do have picts of my turbo here.... https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1388811
Old 03-18-2006, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

By the way, the specs on MY turbo is a T3/T4B with a Super V compressor wheel. The turbine wheel is a Stage 3 in a .63 ar housing.
Old 03-18-2006, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: to4b to4e question (buttsneeze)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by buttsneeze &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">By the way, the specs on MY turbo is a T3/T4B with a Super V compressor wheel. The turbine wheel is a Stage 3 in a .63 ar housing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, that turbo on your engine (assuming 7200 rpm rev limit, 90% eff) will poop out somewhere above 35psi theoretically. This does not take into account the efficiency of the turbine though and system backpressures. Realistically though I would have no idea where the turbo will die out as I have never pushed one nor have I read the stats about one being pushed.