Notices

Tilton clutch help

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tilton clutch help

I'm running a tilton twin disc a the problem is that i start to engage and the car jumps and wants to die??

i only have like 1/2 inch from the floor to engagment any way to adjust that or is it something i have to get use to.

I got the hydrolic release bearing as well.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:31 PM
cuin9sec

Default Re: Tilton clutch help (92 CIVIC HATCH VX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92 CIVIC HATCH VX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm running a tilton twin disc a the problem is that i start to engage and the car jumps and wants to die??

i only have like 1/2 inch from the floor to engagment any way to adjust that or is it something i have to get use to.

I got the hydrolic release bearing as well.</TD></TR></TABLE>

bump for answer...investing in same clutch as well. should be receiving mine in a week or so.

p.s. nice avatar..lolz!
Old 10-05-2006, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Tilton clutch help (cuin9sec)

Mine engages very close to the floor. With my H22 there isn't a hydraulic cylinder option. When it was newer, I let the clutch out to where it just started to engage and held it there. the clutch would kind of engage itself. I killed the engine more than once, trying for a quicker start. After using it for a thousand miles or so it it better but still fairly touchy. Reverse always chatters and is really grabby.
I plan to change the pivot point to get the engagement point up off the floor a little more. No more adjustment so I'll need to do some welding.

The good part - - - - it holds like a enraged gorilla on steroids. 450 - 650 whp is not a problem.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tilton clutch help (purpleh22)

try adjusting it at the pedal and adjust some of the slop out but you want atleast a little slop up top or it will burn the clutch up
Old 10-06-2006, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tilton clutch help (Slow00si)

ok i will call tilton to get some more info.

please every who's use the twin disc let me know you input.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:12 PM

you need to adjust your pedal stopppers... it will take a bit of time to do so... you can do it while in your driveway. just push the pedal far enough so that it is disengagede(make sure you check that you can shift into every gear smoothly) and remember where that point is, then adjust the stopper. then try to switch through the gears and see if it shifts and pulls ok(keep adjust it till it feels right)... make sure not to use your stock pedal settings cause you will ruin your pressure plate because it'll push the pressure plate too far and will damage it...
Old 10-06-2006, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tilton clutch help (TURBO4drTypeR)

yeah thats what the guy from tilton said???

how can i adjust that he said just use a pedal stop??
Old 10-06-2006, 09:26 PM

if you look up under your clutch pedal, you'll see 2 sensors on the clutch pedal. those act as your pedal stoppers... you need to set that to stop the pedal where the point of full disengagement is(do not set it further than it needs to be) but make sure that the spot also lets you get into gear smoothly and will engage properly also... i hope that helps... im alittle sick
Old 10-07-2006, 02:08 AM
NooB

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TURBO4drTypeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you look up under your clutch pedal, you'll see 2 sensors on the clutch pedal. those act as your pedal stoppers... you need to set that to stop the pedal where the point of full disengagement is(do not set it further than it needs to be) but make sure that the spot also lets you get into gear smoothly and will engage properly also... i hope that helps... im alittle sick </TD></TR></TABLE>

good guy.this will help me once i order and instal mine.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tilton clutch help (IT'S ME DAVID)

ok i will check and get that set tilton said it would ruin the clutch if you over stroke it.

I Hope he was talking about the Clutch
Old 10-07-2006, 08:19 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92 CIVIC HATCH VX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok i will check and get that set tilton said it would ruin the clutch if you over stroke it.

I Hope he was talking about the Clutch </TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92 CIVIC HATCH VX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok i will check and get that set tilton said it would ruin the clutch if you over stroke it.

I Hope he was talking about the Clutch </TD></TR></TABLE>yes thats what im trying to tell you too... thats why it'll take some time to adjust it cause you'll have to do it slow till you get it right... just adjust the stopper to stop your pedal stroke right where you feel the clutch is fully disengaged...but also make sure you can switch through the gears smoothly and then test it and make sure it'll engage properly... dont forget to set the clutch switch so you can start the car also...
Old 10-07-2006, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

will do i'm waitng for my axles back from dss so i will try this out in about a two weeks
Old 10-07-2006, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes thats correct, the Pedal stop will help you fine tune the engagement of the clutch.

Here's another cool piece from Tilton:

More info on this page:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1769025
Old 10-07-2006, 05:27 PM
Better than steak

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92 CIVIC HATCH VX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I got the hydrolic release bearing as well.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thats your problem. All last season I had nothing but problems with the hydrolic relaease bearing. I put the stock slave, master and throw out bearing back in and it was a lot better. We tried adjusting the pedal, messing with the stop and nothing really worked till I put the stock stuff back in. Never had a problem since...

But now I run the compitition clutch twin carbon that is ******* amazing!
Old 10-08-2006, 05:45 PM

Default Re: Tilton clutch help (Arturbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Arturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Thats your problem. All last season I had nothing but problems with the hydrolic relaease bearing. I put the stock slave, master and throw out bearing back in and it was a lot better. We tried adjusting the pedal, messing with the stop and nothing really worked till I put the stock stuff back in. Never had a problem since...

But now I run the compitition clutch twin carbon that is ******* amazing! </TD></TR></TABLE>dammit!!! i guess i'll get rid of mine then... it hardly has any miles on it
Old 09-30-2007, 04:52 AM

I think I have the same issue, mines won't disengage at high rpm 9500 on second gear on a rebuilt tranny, is it ok to take out the pedal stop so it releases all the way from the bottom, you guys think its ok to go from the stock release bearing?
Old 09-30-2007, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Tilton clutch help (integraboosted)

have you adjusted the pedal ?
Old 09-30-2007, 05:10 AM

Default Re: Tilton clutch help (DaveF)

yes, and it goes in gear smooth on normal driving, but on high rpm it mishifts a lot on second gear sometimes on third you think its a tranny issue
Old 09-30-2007, 08:08 PM

Default Re: Tilton clutch help (integraboosted)

think about just goin back to the stock release bearing kit too much problems with aftermarket one.