Notices

Thread in tech forum i'd like some input on

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thread in tech forum i'd like some input on

I put the original in the tech forum but i realized i would get better more knowledgeable responses here. I know cross-posting sucks, but there's some people in this forum whose opinions i hold in high regard (mainly because they actually back them up with facts and explanations) and would like to get as much input as possible.

Earl, Viren, Tony, Art, John, et. al. please feel free to join the discussion.

Mods: if this could stay around for at least a day here, i'd appreciate it, then feel free to delete if necessary

Just trying to start some good tech debate as to why people shy away from reground camshafts. I've searched for the past couple days on here, engine-builder.com, and a few other sites. I have yet to come up with anything, other than "I don't like regrinds" or "regrinds suck, get new billets" et. al.

So feel free to chime in with WHY people tend to stay away from them.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Thread in tech forum i'd like some input on (G2 Pilot)

i have had custom grind camshafts completly "round off" within 100 miles. i dont know what kind of cams these were because i bought them from a friend. he says they were jun, but he's the kind of kid that like to bs alot. but that would be my reason for staying away from custom grinds...it destoyed the engine...

i think factory is one of the best cams available because of their "stamina" as compared to an aftermarket cam.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alot of people have had luck putting the CTR/ITR intake shaft and utilitzing the GSR exhaust shaft.....on all motor...and i hear that FI also benefits from this setup
Old 04-17-2003, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thread in tech forum i'd like some input on (mamaboy)

the web stuff is high quality i think earl uses some not 100% sure but i know there mitsu cams works but i havent tested anythign else from them
Old 04-17-2003, 12:49 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by G2 Pilot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why people shy away from reground camshafts. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Re-ground camshafts do NOT have the surface heat treat needed for wear resistance (hardness).

Most mechanical elements like this (roller bearings, camshafts, etc.) are case hardened after thaey are gound to increase the "resistance" to wear in operation. This invloves careful heat treating of the outsde of the metal. The hardened metal may only be 1/16" or less thick. When the cam is re-ground, the heat treated metal is removed.

You really can't "un treat" the metal without warping it, as it requires much higher temps to bring it back to an annealed (soft) state, and, attempts to "re-treat" the metal can make the WHOLE shaft brittle, and you know whatr happens then...

There is more technology going on here than you think.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Thread in tech forum i'd like some input on (mamaboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mamaboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Alot of people have had luck putting the CTR/ITR intake shaft and utilitzing the GSR exhaust shaft.....on all motor...and i hear that FI also benefits from this setup</TD></TR></TABLE>

only if the FI incorporates VTEC. which is why i'm asking about regrinds, because the only real "options" are either stock b18a cams which are absolutely HORRID anywhere over 6500 rpm's (i've seen far too many dynos of stock ls cams to believe otherwise) or crower. i really want to give rocket's regrinds a shot first, simply because of the price. just looking for input as to why everyone says they're a bad idea is all.