Notices

Surge Tank Again

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Surge Tank Again

OK.. i have been thinking about upgrading my fuel setup for a while now.. and was thinking about sumping the tank.. then running duel intank pumps.. but i have made up my mine and is going to run a duel bosch surge tank... in the engine bay.. i will buying it from xenocron soon.. but what i am not sure is should i use the stock lines from the stock in pump(which is a dw301 pump) or should i upgrade to -6? My other issue is what type of hose should i use steel braided or nylon hose.. I wonder who is running this setups on honda's i see the on vw's stuff all the time.. thanks in advance.

The setup is a gsr 2.o on a 6265. running c16 gas.. Yes this is a street car for the most part.. but i do track it sometimes.. I am trying to make as much power as possible with this turbo.. with 1600 injectors..

Is there a good write up on how to wire this up?
Old 11-14-2011, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Surge Tank Again

Stock hard line from your main tank to the engine bay should be plenty for feed with a decent in tank pump. Change over to -6 in the bay and run to the surge tank. Unless you change your mind and decide to build a salt flat car which will be at max comsumption making big power for an insanely long period of time, which you are not by the sound of it... your not going to outrun what the surge tank fed by a stock hardline and high volume in tank will support imo.

The problem you might run into is actually with the return line from surge tank to main tank, the stock return is very small and with a high volume pump in the tank... the stock return may not be able to keep the surge tank relieved of pressure/ overflow. Basically once the surge tank is full and it starts overflowing back fuel to the main, you might start to get pressure building in the surge tank if the stock return hardline cannot flow enough becoming a resistriction. You do not want very much if any pressure in the surge tank.

Small amount of pressure in the surge tank might not be an issue but any substantial amount of pressure building could be a problem. Easily fixed by running a -6 return to the main IF you got it running and started to see pressure building in the surge tank, using the factory return. Maybe someone with that setup or Xenocron can shed some light on if this is an issue.

Wiring is pretty straight forward. Each pump you would want to wire a 40 amp relay with power straight from battery, good ground, and triggered by the factory wiring.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by twkdCD595
Stock hard line from your main tank to the engine bay should be plenty for feed with a decent in tank pump. Change over to -6 in the bay and run to the surge tank. Unless you change your mind and decide to build a salt flat car which will be at max comsumption making big power for an insanely long period of time, which you are not by the sound of it... your not going to outrun what the surge tank fed by a stock hardline and high volume in tank will support imo.

The problem you might run into is actually with the return line from surge tank to main tank, the stock return is very small and with a high volume pump in the tank... the stock return may not be able to keep the surge tank relieved of pressure/ overflow. Basically once the surge tank is full and it starts overflowing back fuel to the main, you might start to get pressure building in the surge tank if the stock return hardline cannot flow enough becoming a resistriction. You do not want very much if any pressure in the surge tank.

Small amount of pressure in the surge tank might not be an issue but any substantial amount of pressure building could be a problem. Easily fixed by running a -6 return to the main IF you got it running and started to see pressure building in the surge tank, using the factory return. Maybe someone with that setup or Xenocron can shed some light on if this is an issue.

Wiring is pretty straight forward. Each pump you would want to wire a 40 amp relay with power straight from battery, good ground, and triggered by the factory wiring.
okay so I should only upgrade the return line from the main tank to -6 only.. And i should be good?
I was going to mount it in that engine day but I'm not sure where is a good place to mount it I was thinking about putting it right next to the proportional valve or should I put it in the rear
Old 11-14-2011, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am not 100% positive it will be a problem and am stating it might be something to consider looking at with the factory return being too small if you use it. Hopefully some others can chime in if they have actually tested it to see if it did in fact cause some pressure to build in the tank as a result. Assuming someone confirms it is too small and builds pressure, -6 return should fix that. Like I said I am just not 100% sure with that high volume in-tank pump it will be a problem, again hopefully others will confirm or whatnot.

Mounting in the engine bay seems to be what others have done with that surge tank, which it appears to be made for. Any place you could fit it in the engine bay is an option I imagine as long as it fits and allows you access for lines to run to it. I wanna say the one I seen posted on here not long ago was on the firewall behind the intake. I will see if I can find the picture, think it was posted a couple months back by Xenocron or by a customer in response to his posting about the surge tank.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am not 100% positive it will be a problem and am stating it might be something to consider looking at with the factory return being too small if you use it. Hopefully some others can chime in if they have actually tested it to see if it did in fact cause some pressure to build in the tank as a result. Assuming someone confirms it is too small and builds pressure, -6 return should fix that. Like I said I am just not 100% sure with that high volume in-tank pump it will be a problem, again hopefully others will confirm or whatnot.

Mounting in the engine bay seems to be what others have done with that surge tank, which it appears to be made for. Any place you could fit it in the engine bay is an option I imagine as long as it fits and allows you access for lines to run to it. I wanna say the one I seen posted on here not long ago was on the firewall behind the intake. I will see if I can find the picture, think it was posted a couple months back by Xenocron or by a customer in response to his posting about the surge tank.
okay cool thanks for the info how long of line would need for the return line. Because I was thinking of nylon
Old 11-14-2011, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...554490&page=12

About half way down the page is a post with some pictures another member on here has with that surge tank.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...554490&page=12

About half way down the page is a post with some pictures another member on here has with that surge tank.
okay cool I'm going to run -6 line
Old 11-14-2011, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by civic-r11
okay cool thanks for the info how long of line would need for the return line. Because I was thinking of nylon
You would be FINE with a factory return line...no need to go -6an
Old 11-14-2011, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

okay cool I'm going to run -6 line
Looks like Xenocron has spotted this as I hoped and has more positive information.

Originally Posted by xenocron

Was hoping you would see this, as said above... I was not sure if it would be enough to keep up with the in-tank and not build pressure in the surge tank.

Curious have you seen any pressure in the tank build up from using a stock return with a high flow in-tank or at least not enough to be a concern?
Old 11-14-2011, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh really. that is great to hear I was wondering when you were going to message in. so justwire it up and ok good to go
Old 11-16-2011, 05:09 AM

oh really. that is great to hear I was wondering when you were going to message in. so justwire it up and ok good to go
Yep, Im running (2) Bosch 044s with ID2000cc and E85 and no problems...you will be fine
Old 11-16-2011, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep, Im running (2) Bosch 044s with ID2000cc and E85 and no problems...you will be fine
Cool.. I will be getting this soon.. But I'm on 1600cc injectors.. Hope this will work
Old 12-28-2011, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Mounting in the engine bay seems to be what others have done with that surge tank
Here is my buddy's Turbo ITR running a RADIUM Engineering FST mounted to the firewall

Check out this cool fuel surge tank video...

Old 12-29-2011, 03:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by quick108
Here is my buddy's Turbo ITR running a RADIUM Engineering FST mounted to the firewall

Check out this cool fuel surge tank video...

http://vimeo.com/34303027
Thats whats up. How much power.. Does he make with I'm still debating on surge tank or sump tani
Tank
Old 12-29-2011, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Still debating on surge tank vs. full blown kit.. With two.dw301 pumps
Old 12-29-2011, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats whats up. How much power.. Does he make with I'm still debating on surge tank or sump tani
Tank
His Radium surge tank has two walbros inside because he runs E85 at 600hp
Old 12-29-2011, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by quick108
His Radium surge tank has two walbros inside because he runs E85 at 600hp
750 ish for surge tank and pumps.. Or fullblown kit with dw301 for about 400 ish.. Dont know which one to pick.. Lol