Notices

supercharging b series vtec

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default supercharging b series vtec

So im interested in building a supercharged b series vtec. I've read alto of conflicting articles and write ups saying you don't need to worry much about your compression ratio when supercharged, but that seems like crap because its boost no matter how you spool it..so i should still build the motor like im gonna turbo and go for low comp correct? Also are there any supercharged success stories out there and any advice?...this is not for a daily, im building a track car and want a second motor as a change up from an N/a build in progress also.. Much appreciated
Old 02-21-2014, 11:21 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: supercharging b series vtec

Low compression for boost is old news. Any competent tuner can tune any compression ratio (within reason). It's all about the other supporting modifications and fueling.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay so with that being said if my goal os to stay on pump gas then what do my options look like?
Old 02-22-2014, 03:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Find a used Jackson racing supercharger in the classifieds. For brand new option kraftwerks has there b-series Rotrex kit available now. As far as compression on pump I would say 10:1-10.5:1 to be on the safe side, due to different blends of premium fuel around the U.S. If your willing to run e85 or race fuel then obviously you could go with even higher compression. I'm sure people have gone higher compression with pump gas. I just suggest what I know to be safe since not all "premium" fuel is created equal. Different brands and different locations seem to get different "blends" I guess you could say from what I have read.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:00 AM
R.I.P. Mark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

supercharger CR is best between 9.5 and 11.1
10.5 is optimal
I run 10.8cr
need and more advie just ask or post in the JRSC thread
Old 02-22-2014, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Andy8
Find a used Jackson racing supercharger in the classifieds. For brand new option kraftwerks has there b-series Rotrex kit available now. As far as compression on pump I would say 10:1-10.5:1 to be on the safe side, due to different blends of premium fuel around the U.S. If your willing to run e85 or race fuel then obviously you could go with even higher compression. I'm sure people have gone higher compression with pump gas. I just suggest what I know to be safe since not all "premium" fuel is created equal. Different brands and different locations seem to get different "blends" I guess you could say from what I have read.
ah are there any others besides those two? the jrsc is suuuuper hard to find but I like their design.

and Grim thanks man that's a killer build you got there.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The jrsc is the only roots design supercharger I know that is available at this point.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a b16/type r jrsc.. rebuilt $1200

http://hondamarketplace.com/showthre...highlight=jrsc
Old 02-22-2014, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Years ago I built I high compression jrsc gsr motor despite what every one said about high comp and boost. Basically I had jdm type r pistons buddy club flat valves so comp was very high and also used pro 1 sk2 cams that kept dynamic compression a lil lower motor made 230 Hp @6psi and was very fun. If your building a track car a jrsc is a good setup cause you get most power low and mid range where you want it I would also look into a lht water cooled manifold! Contact lht racing.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If a track car is what your going for the biggest obstacle is going to be heat soak. Water/Meth, lower boost, or LHT manifold are the main options for countering excess heat.

I built my JRSC GSR for track days and weekend thrashing so I went with the LHT manifold and couldn't be more satisfied.

Some of the builds I've read where people have JRSC cars with fully built motors and lower compression, put out disappointing power IMO. (unless your planing on squeezing some of that laughing gas!)